Click Here!

Insecure connection

I looked around to see if anyone else was having this same issue. Not finding anything, I decided to go and do this.

Right before I log into my archive account, a message appears saying “Connection is not secure. Login could be compromised.” So I type https before the site URL in the address bar and then log in, since that’s worked for me before on other sites where I've received that same warning. Here though it doesn't work, only taking me to a page which states the “connection is (still) insecure” instead.

(If you’re curious, I’m using Firefox.)

Edited by Dirty Unicorn

We are not on an https server, as far as I know. However, I’ve never had an issue with my login being compromised. Then again, I also run antivirus and malware protection at all times because I’m paranoid that way.

I’ve no clue what the additional costs would be, but we operate on a very tight margin as a not-for-profit site. It may very well be a case of the site not having sufficient regular revenue to be able to make that change.

We’re not an e-commerce site, so honestly, I never worry about AFF as far as losing financial data. Chrome flips me hissies every time I log into the staff email server because it can’t authenticate the credentials, and I’ve been ignoring that for years with no ill effects. :lol:

We actually have a certificate, which I can get to work for about ten minutes, and then it doesn’t again.  I have Nexcess looking at that for me, again.  We don’t actually process any financial stuff through the site, so unless you’re putting your private information out there for all to see, you’re safe.  Personal information asked for at registration, for example, is HIDDEN and only seen by mods and admins, and not searchable.  We set it up that way, so that it isn’t.  What gets around that, just like anywhere else, is where people will put personal information in the public profiles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/24/2018 at 4:10 AM, DemonGoddess said:

We actually have a certificate, which I can get to work for about ten minutes, and then it doesn’t again.  I have Nexcess looking at that for me, again.  We don’t actually process any financial stuff through the site, so unless you’re putting your private information out there for all to see, you’re safe.  Personal information asked for at registration, for example, is HIDDEN and only seen by mods and admins, and not searchable.  We set it up that way, so that it isn’t.  What gets around that, just like anywhere else, is where people will put personal information in the public profiles.

Sorry to necro such an old post, but any update on getting the SSL certificate to work? I might just be a scaredy-cat, but the idea of logging into somewhere unsecured just feels quite unpleasant :-(

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.