Click Here!

On tags I've used by A Writer

JayDee

20 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

Absolutely. I admit, I’ve been scared off by a long list of tags. I guess I think the more tags there are, the less relatable plot there will be, even though, intellectually I know that’s not the case. 

Well, some tags are pretty much staples on AFF (ie, oral, HJ, solo) that I was kinda surprised that they were individually listed.   Others, like scat, are ones I don’t typically write, but I’ll list as questionable because of some of the crudeness to my writing style, more there as CYA.

1 minute ago, KassX said:

You shut your whore mouth, Clover :D Kidding, kidding, lol, I find that the longer the work, the more tags crop up, just by virtue of having enough time to run the gamut. Especially if you’re doing fantasy/sci-fi, the tags just breed like rabbits and pretty soon you’ve got a ridiculous number of them. 

Tags breed like rabbits.  And as I’m one who’ll apply minor1 for kids running around naked, I quickly realized it was impossible to avoid with my setup.  So, for instance, the Repair Guy, because that fit, I wrote it as Minor1 (NoSex).

36 minutes ago, KassX said:

You shut your whore mouth, Clover

Oooo my masochisty senses are tingling… 

33 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Well, some tags are pretty much staples on AFF (ie, oral, HJ, solo) that I was kinda surprised that they were individually listed.   Others, like scat, are ones I don’t typically write, but I’ll list as questionable because of some of the crudeness to my writing style, more there as CYA.

I try not to look at tags at all now, because I’ve become pretty gunshy. When I’m in the story and I like the chars, I don’t care: throw in: shit, talking bunny rabbits in top hats, golden showers. Anything, as long as the characters have chemistry and the plot is gripping, I’m all yours. But just seeing the words on their own, all lined up in a neat little line freaks me out. Then again, so does a comma splice in the first paragraph. So does a too-romantic summary… and a billion other things that technically don’t bother me in practice, but totally scare me off in theory. I approach reading stories the same way the uterus approaches sperm. I don’t know why that analogy seems the most apt to me at the moment, it just does. I have probably murdered a lot of gems. (By murder, I mean ‘not read’. Because they’re the same things, right?) 

Edited by CloverReef
comma splice. Haaaa @ me. *cries*

56 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

But just seeing the words on their own, all lined up in a neat little line freaks me out. Then again, so does a comma splice in the first paragraph. So does a too-romantic summary… and a billion other things that technically don’t bother me in practice, but totally scare me off in theory. I approach reading stories the same way the uterus approaches sperm. I don’t know why that analogy seems the most apt to me at the moment, it just does. I have probably murdered a lot of gems. (By murder, I mean ‘not read’. Because they’re the same things, right?) 

Literally the most perfect analogy, btw 

Anyyywayy, that’s not really your fault; writing gripping story blurbs is something even professionals struggle with. It’s an imprecise science and I’m the same way. Bad blurbs kill good stories fr. 

Edited by KassX
Grammar is canceled today

1 minute ago, KassX said:

Literally the most perfect analogy, btw 

Anyyywayy, that’s not really your fault; writing gripping story blurbs are something even professionals struggle with. It’s an imprecise science and I’m the same way. Bad blurbs kill good stories fr. 

Plus I have commitment issues :D 

17 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Tags, to some degree, can also be spoilers for the story, especially if they get super refined.  (ie, MCD + Drowning) 

Dude, I read this one blurb which went along the lines of “character X meets character Y, what happens next?” And BAM there were the tags telling us just that :lol: Oral and some fingering I believe… I felt so bad for the poor guy :D

I tell people to tag by the chapter if it’s that big a deal, but I want the trigger tags right up front for readers to see. I’m not eager to get those emails from readers who have been blindsided.

But just for the record, I haven’t found any tag here that’s a given, even though it’s AFF.  Adult doesn’t mean sexual content only, and I almost never write “solo” content.