Click Here!

How Many Active Stories do you Have?

KassX

Happy weekend, everyone, it’s the annoying attention whore again! 

I’ve always had a one track mind as a writer but not everyone is like that! I’m dying to know: how many active stories do you have? Biggest number gets an AWESOME SUPER SPECIAL LIKE 

I happen to be quite fond of annoying attention whores! I’d say we should be besties, but my annoying attention whore friends might not like that. 

I’m gonna lose this competition. I have a big whopping 0 going on right now. I always go through a bit of a drought when I finish a story. Keep starting things and nothing feels good enough compared to the story I just finished lol. When I am working on something, I have a one-track mind too. I can only really work on one at a time. Sometimes I lie to myself and say I can multitask stories just to justify starting a new one when I’ve got one going already, but that inevitably ends in one of them getting dropped lol.

@Tcr should have something to say about this. His ability to juggle many stories at once blows my mind. Frequently. 

Edited by CloverReef

@CloverReef Then we’ll be besties on the DL ;) Hey, you’ve actually finished something, you’ve got no room to talk! 

@Desiderius Price Just kind of open stuff with plans to finish, and you probably have to be updating it at least once a year, haha. There are SO MANY things I want to start and write! Curse this fragile mortal lifespan! :P

6 minutes ago, KassX said:

@CloverReef Then we’ll be besties on the DL ;) Hey, you’ve actually finished something, you’ve got no room to talk! 

@Desiderius Price Just kind of open stuff with plans to finish, and you probably have to be updating it at least once a year, haha. There are SO MANY things I want to start and write! Curse this fragile mortal lifespan! :P

My potter fanfic, last updated six years ago… I’m still considering that active.  (As I’m still STUCK at the same point as I was then….. how to portray both sides while maintaining suspense but doesn’t feel like a deus ex.)

16 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

My potter fanfic, last updated six years ago… I’m still considering that active.  (As I’m still STUCK at the same point as I was then….. how to portray both sides while maintaining suspense but doesn’t feel like a deus ex.)

Now that’s dedication. Six years! I swear, I drop shit at the drop of a hat, (which is why I don’t post most of what I write) but I’m a big fat commitment phobe, so there’s that. 

36 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Lmao, your readers must have been pretty pissed about that one. Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the number of active stories you have to update? 

13 minutes ago, JayDee said:

I guess “You!” is on hiatus so… 1? If I ever finish it. The thing is, I worked out who you are. I worked out how your story ended. You… you objected. You want a different ending. Oh, and Kate wants a scratch behind the ears.

It’s a mess. 

The best-laid plans, even the best-laid plans...

Let's see…  I'll label them off, because yeah...  lol...

Blood and Honour, Come Hell or High Water, ST Adventurer, Hunted, Blood Prize, TBATB 1, 2, 3, TBATB Spinoff 1, 2, 3…

CR can vouch for the TBATB ones…

As for how I define active, that becomes a matter of what I am continuing and not dropping.  The six TBATB are one's I don't have posted, but I plan to look into publishing.  Even discounting them, that remains an active 5 stories posted here.  Outside of AFF brings the total to 11.  All juggled around. 

10 minutes ago, Tcr said:

As for how I define active, that becomes a matter of what I am continuing and not dropping.  The six TBATB are one's I don't have posted, but I plan to look into publishing.  Even discounting them, that remains an active 5 stories posted here.  Outside of AFF brings the total to 11.  All juggled around. 

Wtfffff! Show us your ways, sempai! How do you juggle so many projects when I panic if I have to update 2 of them? 

Pretty sure you won my SUPER SPECIAL LIKE but I gave all of you one because you’re all winners to meeee! <3

Edited by KassX

1 minute ago, KassX said:

Wtfffff! Show us your ways, sempai! How do you juggle so many projects when I panic if I have to update 2 of them? 

Pretty sure you won the my SUPER SPECIAL LIKE but I gave all of you one because you’re all winners to meeee! <3

If anyone shows up and beats him, my head will explode into Skittlez.

4 minutes ago, KassX said:

Pretty sure you won my SUPER SPECIAL LIKE but I gave all of you one because you’re all winners to meeee! <3

I'm not sure how I do, I just manage to store them mentally.  Lol.  Admittedly, most times I keep detailed character designs written up, but I just travel from one to the other without a second thought.  Strangely enough...  

5 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

Mmm.  Skittles...

22 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

SAME

17 minutes ago, Tcr said:

I'm not sure how I do, I just manage to store them mentally.  Lol.  Admittedly, most times I keep detailed character designs written up, but I just travel from one to the other without a second thought.  Strangely enough...  

Oh great, so you’re basically magic lol. Seriously, that’s awesome I wish I was such a prolific writer!

56 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

Now that’s dedication. Six years! I swear, I drop shit at the drop of a hat, (which is why I don’t post most of what I write) but I’m a big fat commitment phobe, so there’s that. 

Actually, more like 10+ years since I got stuck, tried a revision/rewrite, and that’s six years ago when I finished the revision.

37 minutes ago, KassX said:

Lmao, your readers must have been pretty pissed about that one. Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the number of active stories you have to update?

Given most potter stories, they likely figure it’s abandoned… not so, but I’ve kinda been keeping my mind on my original works instead.

2 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Given most potter stories, they likely figure it’s abandoned… not so, but I’ve kinda been keeping my mind on my original works instead.

Yesss, originals are my jam! I’ve been reading Jefferey, btw! I will leave a review when I’m done! 

29 minutes ago, KassX said:

Yesss, originals are my jam! I’ve been reading Jefferey, btw! I will leave a review when I’m done! 

An example of plot bunnies grabbing my attention… it started because I needed a swimming instructor for a different story …. backstory can be dangerous :)

7 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

An example of plot bunnies grabbing my attention… it started because I needed a swimming instructor for a different story …. backstory can be dangerous :)

HA! That never happens to m- OOH PLOT BUNNY

Lol, I actually really want to do some backstory novellas on some of my major characters. I’m just worried I won’t have time for it all lol. 

Just now, KassX said:

Lol, I actually really want to do some backstory novellas on some of my major characters. I’m just worried I won’t have time for it all lol. 

I know that feeling.  Several of my main characters almost require a novella of backstory just for them alone (indeed, as it stands right now with STA, that's a very good likelihood for one character)...  I've probably got a good hundred to five hundred oneshots and shorts just for the MCs, and occasionally other major and minor characters.  

6 minutes ago, KassX said:

There was the original story, I pulled because I was trying to do too much and realized I had multiple stories!   I split them to become Fiends/Dolbourne/Alaska.  Overall, it’s better and fairer to each story.  And then, backstory + holiday oneshots cause even more stories!

13 minutes ago, Tcr said:

hundred to five hundred 

Dude. 

Spinoffs are so much fun but idk if readers are that interested? I almost want to do them like tv shows: like Frasier is to Cheers, self-contained but interconnected. Might even experiment in different genres that suit different characters.

8 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

There was the original story, I pulled because I was trying to do too much and realized I had multiple stories!   I split them to become Fiends/Dolbourne/Alaska.  Overall, it’s better and fairer to each story.  And then, backstory + holiday oneshots cause even more stories!

If clear divisions start to appear in your stories, then splitting them is probably best! (and honestly, easier)

I LOVE HOLIDAY SPECIALS I’m so glad, I thought I was the only one haha

9 minutes ago, KassX said:

Dude. 

Spinoffs are so much fun but idk if readers are that interested? I almost want to do them like tv shows: like Frasier is to Cheers, self-contained but interconnected. Might even experiment in different genres that suit different characters.

If clear divisions start to appear in your stories, then splitting them is probably best! (and honestly, easier)

I LOVE HOLIDAY SPECIALS I’m so glad, I thought I was the only one haha

All of my originals, including the halloween/holiday oneshots, are interconnected in some fashion.  Of course, I try to make each one enjoyable w/o having to read the entire collected works :)

7 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

All of my originals, including the halloween/holiday oneshots, are interconnected in some fashion.  Of course, I try to make each one enjoyable w/o having to read the entire collected works :)

Yes, that’s what I want to do! Aaaah, I’m so excited, I’ve been doing outlines and concept boards for a few days. I should just stop stressing and start one and take it from there.

5 minutes ago, KassX said:

Yes, that’s what I want to do! Aaaah, I’m so excited, I’ve been doing outlines and concept boards for a few days. I should just stop stressing and start one and take it from there.

And I’ve made a database of characters/key-events/groups, so that what helps me keep track of things.  Not perfect, but it helps.

2 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

And I’ve made a database of characters/key-events/groups, so that what helps me keep track of things.  Not perfect, but it helps.

Oh, like an excel sheet? That’s smart. I’ve been trying to organize better, myself.

4 minutes ago, KassX said:

Oh, like an excel sheet? That’s smart. I’ve been trying to organize better, myself.

More extensive than that, I’ve got a bunch of XML files, one per character/group/event, and a bit of custom software that spits out browseable HTML with links and each character’s family tree.  That, and I’ve got a random date generator to come up with birthdays :)