Click Here!

Need help creating account

Guest Wilde_Guess

Guest Wilde_Guess

I have tried several times to create an account for the forum.  As far as I can tell, I have entered all information correctly.  When I click the button, the screen instantly goes to the logon page with no report that an account is created or pending.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

As long as you’ve entered your birthdate, archive url, penname, and your email address, you should be fine.

There’s a two-step validation for the forum. You will receive an email, which may be routed to your Junk or Spam folder because browsers tend to do that to validation requests from time to time. There is a link to click in that email.

The second step is done by our Forum Admin, Melrick. He’s generally around daily to do that, although I won’t vouch for today, given that it’s one of those rare “everyone does New Year’s” sort of holidays. (He’s also down in Australia, so his timezone tends to have him around very early or very late from my point of view.)

Guest Is the email automated

I have not received an email from the system.  This includes checking the spam folder.  All other ‘emails’ from the AFF systems have come though without any problem.

Guest Wilde_Guess

Problem solved?

Your system does not ‘like’ to create a forum account if the user is logged in on the archive site editing a document.  After closing all instances of the browser, and attempting to create a forum account WITHOUT being logged in on the ‘story side,’ the system worked, and the automated confirmation email was sent in about 2 seconds or so.

This is no problem once the user figures it out.  If it’s in the FAQ, I ‘missed’ it.  If it isn’t in the FAQ, you might want to add it.

Thanks.

That is very strange since the forum and the archive are completely separate systems, but thank you for informing us. Our Tech admins appreciate getting information of this kind, so they can look into it. I am sure they will add it to the FAQ, if they can replicate the problem and it turns out to be a bug of some kind. 

Welcome to the forums. 

Guest Wilde_Guess

The forum system queries the story system when an account is created.  If the story system ‘locks’ a logged-in user record in a way the archive system doesn’t like, this can happen.  It’s similar to requiring all forum users to have story accounts first even if they only intend to read, and not publish anything.  Of course, with no user-visible error message and the entire page vanishing in the blink of an eye, it isn’t that easy to figure out.

Thanks.

The forum software is not our code, so we can only implement whatever we’re given as far as updates and upgrades. BUT our forum admin can certainly pass along any comments to help improve functionality.

It does bear adding to our FAQ, in my opinion.

Hi,

The URL is the link to your archive profile. For example, mine is http://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1296892487  You can copy it from the top of the profile page, where it’s displayed in the browser bar. Just paste it into the forum field, and that’s it. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.