Click Here!

Please fix "Silent Failure Interface," increase disclaimer limit

Guest Wilde-Guess

Guest Wilde-Guess
  1. Please fix “Silent Failure Interface” for creating story descriptions, disclaimers, etc.
  2. If you want “canned disclaimers,” CAN them and put them on the shelf.  Most of us will likely use them.
  3. Please increase the “character limit” for the disclaimer.  Not quite as necessary if you fix items one and two.

1. I’m not sure what this refers to.
  2. We do have examples of our disclaimers in the FAQ on disclaimers, found here.
  3. The character limit for our disclaimer field is sufficient for most disclaimers. If you do have a particularly lengthy or complicated disclaimer, you can put something on the line of “See full disclaimer below” in that field, and then add the disclaimer at the top of the first chapter. We do accept that format for both disclaimers and for warning tags, should those also exceed the field limits.

Guest Reply to your post

Hello, BronxWench, and thanks for your prompt and courteous reply.

1. When using the story creation/description page, the page will “fail” if the user dose ‘something’ the system doesn’t like, but won’t tell the user how to FIX the issue.  I was having internet issues while trying to fix a disclaimer issue you reported to me in a review, and I was NOT enjoying life.  If your “code writers” could create more descriptive error messages instead of having the page ‘fail’ with only the barest possible hint of WHY, that would help.
  2. Issue two was mostly driven by issue one, and the frustration I was having fixing MY disclaimer, which I hope is already fixed to your satisfaction.  Strip “guest,” and that’s me.  I only have the one story posted.
  3. This is actually a great suggestion for new posters to your site.  I will probably do that in the next day or two.  No one wants to be sued, and no DECENT person wants other reasonable people to WANT to sue them.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ah, I think I understand the first issue. Our archive code was recently tweaked to make it more mobile-friendly, and I find it has reduced some of the clarity of the menus and other functions, at least from my perspective as a desktop user. Brevity is necessary to make the site usable on the small screens of phones. While brevity might be the soul of wit, it’s less than helpful when troubleshooting. I don’t have a solution, but I do sympathize, and all I can say is we are always happy to help troubleshoot an issue with the archive.

Your disclaimer is fine now, and I’ve already updated our records to show it’s been corrected. If you ever want to check on a disclaimer prior to posting a new work, or have any other questions, we happy to help, either here on the forums or via email at tos_team@adult-fanfiction.org

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Random guest

You could always add a numerical code or short abbreviation to the errors displayed. These shouldn't significantly increase problems for mobile users, but should—if there's an easily accessible list of said failure codes and their meanings somewhere—still allow people to either figure out what's wrong or allow someone else to help more easily.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.