Click Here!

How Do You Fend Off Stagnation in Your Works?

Tcr

On 5/13/2018 at 7:52 PM, CloverReef said:

That’s an interesting (and kinda depressing) take on it. I’m not sure that I agree that it’s the only way to avoid stagnation. I think if you feel stagnation setting in, taking a break as I think you’re suggesting, is absolutely one way to handle it. Take time away so you can come back and look at things with fresh eyes, but it’s not the only option. You can fend it off by taking risks, writing in a different genre, or indulge in something you wouldn’t normally indulge in. For some writers, writing exercises and prompts help. 

Also, I just wanna say I love your definitions. 

Taking a break doesn’t need to mean not writing. It can simply mean switching styles and trying something new. As said. There’s a reason many authors employ pen names when they wish to do something different. My preferred tactic is to basically keep some dribs and drabbles. Nonsense pieces that aren’t meant to be serious, or even read by anyone. It’s a great way to stretch your imagination.

Stopping also simply means ending a story and actually starting a new one with new characters, new themes. Identify tropes you commonly use in your works and then challenge yourself to not use those tropes.

I also read other books, related or non-fiction, watch videos. I never know what wilfix a broken plot point.  Working on something else, chore or another craft can also help. Most of us are not depending on this for bread on the table, so relax.