Click Here!

Can't log in, password reset no longer valid

Guest DoctorYnot

Guest DoctorYnot

Hey there. I’m afraid I’ve gotten hit with the can’t-log-in bug. I know I’m putting in the right password, but trying to log-in just refreshes the page without logging me in. The password reset email says it’s no longer valid when I click it. I’ve already tried deleting all my cookies and history and there’s no change. My account name is DoctorYnot.

Hi,

I’m not sure what’s up with passwords lately, but… just to ask the obvious, did you try resetting with the same password? That will blank the field and force another reset, which is not good if there’s already a problem. Also, did you use any special characters? Only numbers and/or letters are allowed, and the letters are case sensitive. We also discovered (the hard way) that passwords must be at least 8 letters/numbers long, but can’t be longer than 12 letters/numbers. 

Hopefully, DemonGoddess061 will have a few minutes to let me know what we can do to fix this. She’s been working egregious overtime lately,.so please be patient with us. She’s the database person, whereas I just know basic troubleshooting.

Guest DoctorYnot

I appreciate the prompt response!

>I’m not sure what’s up with passwords lately, but… just to ask the obvious, did you try resetting with the same password?

I didn’t actually get a chance to reset my password. Every time I tried it told me the link was no longer valid. No special characters. The password is under eight letters, as I recall, but I used to be able to sign in with no problem.

The under 8 letters/numbers is going to be a problem when you reset, just as a heads up. I’m not sure how you were able to log in with it at all, frankly, since I had to reset mine back in 2012 when the requirement for a minimum of 8 letters/numbers was put in place. But again, I’m not a coder, so I can’t speak as to the mysterious ways of the archive code.

Are you using the Password Reset link from the profile menu? I’ve not actually used that one, but I do share a direct link from the FAQ menu which has worked in the past for other members: http://members.adult-fanfiction.org/reset.php We recently changed things around in the archive to accommodate mobile device users, and the left side menus were disabled all over, except in a few limited areas, like profiles. I’m not sure if there’s any error in that bit of coding as a result of the changes.

I’ll see if I can’t get some insight from our tech admin. I’m as baffled as anyone, since this seems to be a relatively recent occurrence to have so many passwords fail and be unable to be reset. 

@DoctorYnot

The password is 8 characters, I checked in the database to confirm.  If it was not, you’d be unable to do anything at all for resetting and whatever.  I’d have to do it for you.  As to the invalid link, did you perhaps accidentally click it more than once?  The first time one clicks that link, it sets a cookie.  If you try to reclick it, you get the error and have to generate a new password reset link.

Guest DoctorYnot

Oh my goodness, I’m embarassed. You’re right, it is eight characters. That was a complete brainfart from me, I thought it was seven. And I do believe I only clicked it once, but I’ll delete my cookies/history and try it again right now.

Yup, just tried it again and only clicked it once (you mean the hyperlink in the email you get, right?) Still says it’s invalid.

Look in the menu bar at the top of the archive. If it says Log in, try it and see if it will let you in with the password you just set. I recall, back when we first changed the code enough to require us all to re-validate, there was a glitch which said we weren’t successful at reactivating, but we actually were. We just had to log out, and then in again.

(And this is why non-coders like me resort so frequently to wine… )

Guest DoctorYnot

I didn’t get to set a password. The problem first started because trying to log in in the way you just described didn’t do anything, clicking ‘login’ after putting in my information just refreshed the page but didn’t log me into my account. That’s why I tried to reset the password but it said the link wasn’t valid.

Guest DoctorYnot

You can, it’s possible that I’m misremembering it, but I’m fairly certain what I’m punching in is my current password. I’ve tried any alternates it could be and I’m still not getting anywhere.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.