Click Here!

ForgetMeNaught's Replies - (This is the Truth)

Edward_or_Ford 2015-09-11 id # 3000070864

I read this story several days ago. I didn't think that I should review it, because I'm sorry, I can't say I enjoyed it. It's written very well, as always for you, but rape fiction (even unintentional, even "enjoyed" by its victim, as is here) turns my stomach. I can't even really go back and read Chapter 3 of my own story.

The dark consequences for mankind at the end didn't help me, either.

I'm sorry, dude. I've said many times that one of your strengths as a writer is your ability to paint pictures with your words. You succeeded too well this time. I think you deserve an honest appraisal of this story from me, rather than read a review where I attempt to tiptoe around the parts that my constitution couldn't stomach.

I know you're confident enough in your writing to know that this is on *me*: don't question your subject matter for my benefit, and certainly don't question your skills as a writer. You're brilliant, end of story.

Always will look forward to what you bring out next

Thanks for weighing in my friend. Don't feel bad about not liking it. It's a human response.

... I was in full support of this story's existence. As time crawls on, though... I don't know. More than one person has felt the way you have. It makes me doubt its place.

In the same vein, I deleted one of my stories. Doesn't seem that anyone liked it anyway.

Edited by ForgetMeNaught

This is pretty cool. I've never had a review from GeorgeGlass before. I do believe that in itself is a big compliment.

I feel complimented by your feeling complimented. :)

The truth is--and I'm a bit ashamed to say this--I don't actually read very much. Being an editor in RL, I spend all day reading, so when I get home, I usually just want to watch TV or something (or write, which I guess is different enough from editing that I still enjoy it). And when I do get in the mood to read something, I'm really picky about good grammar, paragraphing, etc; if those are bad, I usually don't get past the first paragraph.

In other words, the technical quality of your writing is high, and that was a major factor in my reading your story to the end and reviewing it.

I don't usually like the way rape is used in most erotic fiction pieces myself, for the very reason you specified; it's really easy to just say everyone enjoyed it for too many reasons to count. I steered towards that, in a way, but I felt I made good work of it using alien plot biology as well as real world examples of the body being turned against itself by parasites and infections, which were the two "secret" themes of the story. I wasn't joking when my Story Promotion for Butterflies compared this to a zombie apocalypse.

The beginning of one, anyway, starring Marco as Patient Zero and Star as The Vector. Which would be great names for a pair of supervillains...but I digress. :)

That no one stopped and said "Mmm, no, you suck and here's why" makes me feel I succeeded.

No, I thought your approach made total sense.

Also, I find that no matter how well reasoned my arguments are, I have a very hard time convincing people that they suck. :)

... I'm done with that segue. Thanks, Mr. Glass. I'm glad you enjoyed it even though bad endings aren't your favorite. Seems most people are here for the lusts. XD

I'm right there with you. I have recently received some education regarding how readers 'round these parts react to a non-erotic ending, if the reviews of my Inside Out story "That Gleam in Her Eye" are anything to go by.

In any case, I hope to check out some of your Gravity Falls stuff one of these days.

I feel complimented by your feeling complimented. :)

The truth is--and I'm a bit ashamed to say this--I don't actually read very much. Being an editor in RL, I spend all day reading, so when I get home, I usually just want to watch TV or something (or write, which I guess is different enough from editing that I still enjoy it). And when I do get in the mood to read something, I'm really picky about good grammar, paragraphing, etc; if those are bad, I usually don't get past the first paragraph.

In other words, the technical quality of your writing is high, and that was a major factor in my reading your story to the end and reviewing it.

Well thank you sir, especially the compliment regarding my quality. I admit, the occasional error slips through the net. I didn't use my usual editor for this story, so it fell upon me to weed through the grammar flaws and spelling errors; I don't know how many times you've done that yourself only to show up later and see an obvious wrong-doing on your part, just because writers are terrible editors of their own work.

I'm right there with you. I have recently received some education regarding how readers 'round these parts react to a non-erotic ending, if the reviews of my Inside Out story "That Gleam in Her Eye" are anything to go by.

In any case, I hope to check out some of your Gravity Falls stuff one of these days.

I hope you do, Mr. Glass. I, in the mean time, have a lot of your work to catch up on. See you in the reviews.

Edited by ForgetMeNaught

Thanks for weighing in my friend. Don't feel bad about not liking it. It's a human response.

... I was in full support of this story's existence. As time crawls on, though... I don't know. More than one person has felt the way you have. It makes me doubt its place.

In the same vein, I deleted one of my stories. Doesn't seem that anyone liked it anyway.

C'mon, man. I emailed you privately before posting that review precisely because I don't want you to doubt your skill or vision. This place is called "adult" fanfiction. I'm the one who's the pussy here, who can't stomach rape fiction, or horror in general as a genre.

You said in your private reply that you have always considered yourself primarily as a horror writer. There's nothing wrong with that, not on this site. This isn't like Tumblr, where there's a few big groupthink cliques within each fandom of the "correct" way to write. This obviously floats your boat, or you wouldn't have written it. Own it, dude!

Like I told you, when I first sent the review privately, I didn't want to post it. You wanted it posted anyways, so I did. I'd rather remove my review than have one of the best storytellers on this site start self-censoring himself because of my weak constitution. You coached largely the same message to me months ago as I struggled with my writing, referring to the level of angst I have in a story of mine. Sure enough, there's been some push back, but thanks to you I really don't feel I have to cater to a couple of complainers. I hope they stick with the story anyways, but I want to tell a certain kind of story. So do you.

If you want to please a different audience, maybe consider writing an alternate version of the same premise. But when you're writing for free, please yourself first!

C'mon, man. I emailed you privately before posting that review precisely because I don't want you to doubt your skill or vision. This place is called "adult" fanfiction. I'm the one who's the pussy here, who can't stomach rape fiction, or horror in general as a genre.

You said in your private reply that you have always considered yourself primarily as a horror writer. There's nothing wrong with that, not on this site. This isn't like Tumblr, where there's a few big groupthink cliques within each fandom of the "correct" way to write. This obviously floats your boat, or you wouldn't have written it. Own it, dude!

Like I told you, when I first sent the review privately, I didn't want to post it. You wanted it posted anyways, so I did. I'd rather remove my review than have one of the best storytellers on this site start self-censoring himself because of my weak constitution. You coached largely the same message to me months ago as I struggled with my writing, referring to the level of angst I have in a story of mine. Sure enough, there's been some push back, but thanks to you I really don't feel I have to cater to a couple of complainers. I hope they stick with the story anyways, but I want to tell a certain kind of story. So do you.

If you want to please a different audience, maybe consider writing an alternate version of the same premise. But when you're writing for free, please yourself first!

I think the one criticism that truly struck home was that the story couldn't be described as horror. It was horrifying, yes, but not horror. The term, I suppose, is gross horror? That it was just gross, that it wasn't frightening... that's a thorn.

... Think I'll have an ice cream today.

I think the one criticism that truly struck home was that the story couldn't be described as horror. It was horrifying, yes, but not horror. The term, I suppose, is gross horror? That it was just gross, that it wasn't frightening... that's a thorn.

... Think I'll have an ice cream today.

I recommend cookie dough flavor ice cream.

Then go back and write all the gross horror you want. And maybe also some stuff for weenies like me and that other critic, if you want. :-)

I don't think that it was gross was what he was looking for Ed, he wanted a piece that evoked fear which I feel it did. At the very least I felt sympathy for Janna at the tragic turn of events, which is a necessity for horror because if you don't care about the characters then you don't if they're scared or hurt, essentially no empathy for anything that happens to them. What was really chilling to me was the sense of cataclysm at the end. To me it was like the calm before the storm as we get a hint of what these transformations are truly capable of, a promise of worse things to come that made it easy for me to see a devastated world where survivors hide from predatory rapists who hunt without mercy. If that doesn't scare you then I don't know what will.

Oh, I wasn't intending to agree with the other opinion of the work (though I see how my wording implied that). To be sure, I definitely found the story to fit into the horror genre. I was trying to throw the word "gross" out as not the most important thing: that if one critic's opinion is that it was gross, c'est la vie, but keep on doing it!

Like I said, horror and rape just aren't my things. I like FMN's writing, but I probably should have kept my yap shut on this one.

Oh, I wasn't intending to agree with the other opinion of the work (though I see how my wording implied that). To be sure, I definitely found the story to fit into the horror genre. I was trying to throw the word "gross" out as not the most important thing: that if one critic's opinion is that it was gross, c'est la vie, but keep on doing it!

Like I said, horror and rape just aren't my things. I like FMN's writing, but I probably should have kept my yap shut on this one.

I don't think that it was gross was what he was looking for Ed, he wanted a piece that evoked fear which I feel it did. At the very least I felt sympathy for Janna at the tragic turn of events, which is a necessity for horror because if you don't care about the characters then you don't if they're scared or hurt, essentially no empathy for anything that happens to them. What was really chilling to me was the sense of cataclysm at the end. To me it was like the calm before the storm as we get a hint of what these transformations are truly capable of, a promise of worse things to come that made it easy for me to see a devastated world where survivors hide from predatory rapists who hunt without mercy. If that doesn't scare you then I don't know what will.

Thanks guys. I'm not going to delete the story, but I'm going to be leery toward it for the foreseeable future, I think. The criticisms I've received have simply made me realize how ugly the monster really is.

• 1 month later...

GrayNeko 2015-10-21 id # 3000070991

At long last! So glad to see you finally found your way to the end of this story. I have to say this resolution gave me everything I wanted, especially the comeuppance of Preston. It was a great ride and I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next

XD It didn't take long to see a review, did it?

Thanks Neko, glad you liked it. Anything in particular besides the punishment?

Well a truly happy Dipper and Pacifica warmed the very cockles of my heart, but something about the idea that Dipper and Pacifica could have had happy lives without each other, I just like the inclusion of that. Not only does it make Preston's suffering more delicious but the idea that if their relationship hadn't worked that it wouldn't have been the end of the world really goes against what I feel tends to be the norm if these sorts of dramas and I appreciate that. I also like the little details of adult Pacifica and Dipper's lives and the somewhat ominous observation by Bill, like he's just waiting for a crack to open up that would allow him to slip through and start messing with them again.

Well a truly happy Dipper and Pacifica warmed the very cockles of my heart, but something about the idea that Dipper and Pacifica could have had happy lives without each other, I just like the inclusion of that. Not only does it make Preston's suffering more delicious but the idea that if their relationship hadn't worked that it wouldn't have been the end of the world really goes against what I feel tends to be the norm if these sorts of dramas and I appreciate that. I also like the little details of adult Pacifica and Dipper's lives and the somewhat ominous observation by Bill, like he's just waiting for a crack to open up that would allow him to slip through and start messing with them again.

Nice. Actually what I was going for, too. I've tried to get that part real to life. We'll see if other people agree with that. Thanks for the props again, GN.

Edward_or_Ford 2015-10-23 id # 3000070995

What a satisfying end to the tale. This chapter wrapped up your fic with just the right balance of supernatural drama and a kitschy-sweet happily-ever-after love story. Well done, sir.

I aim satisfy. Thanks for reviewing.

Otherwise, folks, now that the trilogy is closed out, this forum is open as a Q&A board. If anyone has questions to ask or answers left wanting, that is. Hope to hear from y'all.

Edited by ForgetMeNaught

Well then, I suppose the question a lot of us might have is what do you have planned next? Any ideas for future works?

Well, the short answer to that is that I have a story I owe to someone that I should have written a long, long time ago. She's a big fan of GumLee, and I'd be much more a disappointment than normal if I never wrote it.

The long answer is... no, there isn't a plan, per se. Besides the owed GumLee debt, I was actually starting to think about taking requests, or something, until such time that a new flow of ideas emerges. Recently, another board member messaged me fishing for someone to accept his story requests. While I regretfully had to deny his requests, it was still an interesting angle that I had, in the past, written off.

Fairy-Slayer 2015-10-29 id # 3000071013

It's definitely icing on the cake to see Preston being forced to see, night after night, the exact outcome that he didn't want. But then it really kicked ass that it was his own ferocious objection to the affair and the lengths that he went to which bonded Pacific and Dipper. That had to hurt.

It's a little creepy that Bill Cipher still gets to spy on the happy couple even if he has to leave them alone, though when he was alone later I got the feeling that Bill was even feeling a strange kind of affection for the young family.

Anyway, it was a very sweet surprise to have one more piece to finish off the tale. Thanks.

You're very welcome, Mr. Slayer.

I'm a big fan of punishing hubris; it might be the only redeemable aspect of Greek literature, but that's little more than an opinion. But just the same, I delight in putting villains to the grind. It's also why, if I'm going to resort to outright villainy, I try to rely on the inclusion of demons or, nature, or pseudo-nature.

As for Bill, yeah, he's a creep. He'd push the lines to whatever ends, even if all it meant was watching through a hole in time-space like a weirdy.

Thanks for enjoying the ride, Fairy-Slayer. I hope to see your name at the ends of future works.

Edited by ForgetMeNaught

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first review for the new piece: Rules as Written.

GrayNeko 2015-11-12 id # 3000071057

Oh man, that was a fun little ride. There was so much to enjoy about this piece, your ability to set a scene with that first paragraph is just amazing with how you describe thoughts as chittering cockroaches being just an example, and the way you get to their sexual awakening, well you said it best in the author's notes with blooming. The sibling antagonism felt so authentic, I should say that I'm the younger sibling of twins so I have some experience with how they either have each other's backs or at each other's throats and can just drive each other crazy because of their deeper bond than most siblings. And as a big ol' nerd myself, the discovery of their sexuality via roleplaying was just fun. Keep up the great work my friend.

The antagonism was the easy part, really. XD I have a sibling too, and it was... well, frankly, just awful most of the time. Nothing in common between us, a lot of bad blood. The other half of the equation was a little trickier, especially in transition, admittedly. Wasn't really quite sure how to bottle the idea, but it got there, I think.

But I didn't want them across that line yet. You don't pick when those fires get out of control, but too young for the D.

What I did begin to worry about during editing was the esoteric content, specifically how heavy it was becoming. I still worry about that... I think it's funny. But it's not for everyone, and all that noise comes before any sexual material. Could hurt mah numbuhs...

[#banbasketweaving]

Edited by ForgetMeNaught

Edward_or_Ford 2015-11-12 id # 3000071058

Wow, you weren't kidding about awkward. Thank you for such a wonderfully uncomfortable tale. It felt sincere and true to what Dipper and Mabel are like, each with their own brand of dorky behavior. And the ending was perfect in its ambiguity: we can imagine that they swallow down their discomfort and move on with the canon story, or any alternative story we wish. Great job!

At least my "fan club" digs it. XD

It did get that awkwardness down, didn't it? It turns out that the evening I was working on it I just couldn't put the damn thing down: I wrote it for a couple hours, stopped to "sleep", couldn't, then got back up and jammed it out. Turned out awesome.

And I'm not sad about this one like Butterflies. No.

Edited by ForgetMeNaught

• 4 months later...
Guest ForgetMeNaught

GeorgeGlass

2016-03-23 id # 3000071374

This seems like a more realistic scenario than most. The one bit I didn't quite understand was where Mabel got the impulse to create this highly sexual scenario in the game, particularly given that she was angry with Dipper at the moment. But from there on, I thought the whole thing was pretty believable, particularly how it ended. I really liked Mabel's dialogue there, too, reflecting the way that her longstanding love for her brother and her newfound lust have become entangled in her head. And it seems like Dipper acts more rationally only because of his interest in someone else, which also struck me as realistic.

Hmm. A valid criticism. The only out I can consider is that, once hormones become a part of our biological equations, logical processions get weird. Reality: You caught me in a plot hole. I'd shake my fist at you, but I can't type good responses one-handed. Instead, I'll be happy you liked the scenario enough to review my work. Thank you, Mr. Glass. I always strive for excellence.

Guest ForgetMeNaught

Terego

(Email Hidden) 2016-01-06 id # 3000071158

Excellent work! And leaving on such a cliffhanger, too. Can't wait to see what other stories you bring about.

Glad you liked it, Terego. I aim to please, in a way. Unfortunately I find my self on an extended hiatus. At least until I find a new source of creative material

Hmm. A valid criticism. The only out I can consider is that, once hormones become a part of our biological equations, logical processions get weird. Reality: You caught me in a plot hole.

I'm sure there's a plausible way to patch it. Maybe Mabel is trying to make Dipper uncomfortable--or at least, that's what she tells herself.

I'd shake my fist at you, but I can't type good responses one-handed.

How in the world can you write porn with a handicap like that? :)

Instead, I'll be happy you liked the scenario enough to review my work. Thank you, Mr. Glass. I always strive for excellence.

You're most welcome. Thanks for sharing your stories with all of us.

• 1 year later...

[Moderator’s edit: This was posted by ForgetMeNaught in a different forum thread]

It’s come to my attention that people have been looking for me in my absence.

I am asking you not to, and I’m telling you why.

I have written, posted, and indulged in reprehensible things here on AFF, and I am saying that because I find myself to be reprehensible.  I have pushed myself to produce fiction that should have died as an impulse, but instead put here to fish for attention.  And here’s the thing: I hate myself for having done it.

I have broken my own rules on how to live my life, and in doing so, told other people to break their own rules.  I apologize for what I have done in that regard.  I have told someone it was ok that he was emotionally abusing his wife, because in the end I didn’t care about her like I should have: as a human being.  I tell you this now, though, it wasn’t ok that I said that.  It wasn’t remotely ok that I said that.  You should have turned around and said to me “Fuck off, sort your life, stop treating people like garbage, stop treating my wife like garbage!”  I am sorry for her, and I am sorry I didn’t have the wherewithal to correct you when I had the chance.

Looking back, I can’t believe what I’ve done.  But I’m not just going to shun it and pretend it didn’t happen.

I say all of this because in the end, what I’ve done appalls me.  It appalls people that care about me.  And in truth, I wish it would have appalled someone before I posted it here for everyone to see.  Because in this echo chamber, I made myself a worse person, and I contributed to things in other people’s lives that only served to make their lives worse.

I don’t want people to not be creative.  I don’t even want people not to create NSFW content.  But what I have done, and what we have all done together is make content that is more than just NSFW.  It’s not safe for us, and deep down we all know it.  We convince ourselves that it isn’t what it is because the creation is grounded in a fictional base.  But that’s bullshit.  I’m stopping because it needs to stop.  I’m going to fix my life because it needs fixing.

Everyone here has at least one person in their lives that would be shocked, dismayed, hurt, appalled, outraged, or any combination thereof, if they saw what we have built here.  They deserve anything besides those words.  They deserve us not to be shocking, dismaying, hurtful, appalling, or outrageous.  They deserve, in fact, healthy, happy people who don’t need to lean on reprehensible things.

I have been a vile, deceitful, shitty human being.  I have been, and am, addicted to pornography, and it has both been the driver and the passenger to ever worse ideas and cravings.  I don’t want that burden anymore.  I am going to scour that from my life.

Do the same, scour out your reprehensible things, if you truly value yourselves and the people you care about.

But whatever you do, don’t try to find me, don’t try to inspire me, don’t try to bring me back.  I’m not going to let you find me.  I’m not going to be inspired.  I’m not going to come back.  And that’s all there is.

Edited by WillowDarkling
Added clarification who posted this

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.