Click Here!

2017 Halloween Party Review Replies and Discussion

Tahn

From Desiderius_Price on November 01, 2017

The Price of the Land -- BronxWench

Oh... the names were eeriely similar, I had to look at your 2015 submission to verify that it was a sequel!  Nicely done :) Yeah, loved it.

Thank you!   :hug:

The Lord Dubhlainn wanted a sequel, and who am I to say no to the Black Sword of the Sidhe? :D  But really, it was too much fun not to do a sequel, and even more fun to set something in the present day for a change.

From CloverReef on November 01, 2017

Review of The Price of The Land by BronxWench

I gotta say, this was an excellent way to close off Halloween. I finished reading this at 11 pm so I'm truly ending the evening with this delectable little bite of pagany goodness. Loved it. Loved having all those Irish accents floating around in my head (though I'm a prairie girl from Canada so I won't pretend the irish accents in my head didn't float back and forth to English and Welsh on occasion). 

It was abundantly clear through the whole short story how much you love that kinda lore. Everything was so... Fuck, what's the word? Visceral? Vivid? It was chock full of atmosphere and eerie, halloweeny feelings. Awesome job. 

Thank you! :hug:

Honestly, I do love the lore and legends, and the darker side of it all, because like all good pagans, we know there is no light without dark. I just can’t resist dabbling, although I’m sure I’ll wond up getting my ass handed to me by some fey one day…

And I tend to be dreadful at Irish accents myself, which is sort of embarrassing. I tend to sounds more Scots than Irish…:blush:

From BronxWench on November 14, 2017

Bones:

I have to confess, I was wincing through this entire story, mostly for the scat but also because of the savagery of the religion in this. It's very funny, because as a pagan myself, I'm more used to seeing my beliefs portrayed with such venom, and I find I'm no more comfortable with the shoe being on the other foot, so to speak.

But really, as a story of the perils of indoctrination, and abuse, this is outstanding. A cure for any residual late-night munchies, but that could prove to be an unexpected bonus, perhaps the grace note for wading through the effluvia.

Thanks for the review!  He’s a pawn and I intend to bring this character back.  (After all, I spent that effort breaking him in :) )  And yes, the story was a bit gritty, as I typically like to write them, though the nec/scat was a first (Halloween seemed like an excellent time to get in on nec).

From BronxWench on November 14, 2017

Blue Eyes:

Right, this was definitely chilling. Wonderfully chilling, actually. I quite liked Crispin, and his respect for the dead. I worked for a time in a cemetery, and I can tell you, the morticians are a definite odd bunch. For all the somber sympathy of their appearance at a viewing, they are bawdy, irreverent, and downright contemptuous when bringing a body to be buried, or interred. Rudd did little to change my impression of the profession, and I didn't shed a tear for his fate.

But, oh...the imagery is so very vivid... lovely!

Oh! I wanted to work at a funeral home or cemetery or something at some sort, because I assumed it was a fairly quiet job as long as I didn’t have to be the one talking to the families lol. I’m glad Rudd rang a little true. Entitlement seems to be a recurring theme for me this season so a lot of my antagonists are ending up pretty seemingly harmless but insidious and toxic in their expectations and greed. I guess that’s what I’ve been finding scary lately lol. From your description of morticians I’m glad I didn’t go that route! 

Thank you so much for the review! 

From pippychick on November 12, 2017

George Glass - Black Cat

Aha! Fabulous! Had to read this out loud to the whole house. Really well done. We laughed. :)

Thank you! That’s high praise indeed.

Incidentally, best cat I ever had was a wonderful big black feral cat we took in from the street. This did kind of remind me of him.

That’s terrific. My black cats are all ex-strays, too, and they just make me happy.

From BronxWench on November 14, 2017

Black Cat:

This was wonderful, and made me giggle. Would that it were true, and perhaps black cats wouldn't be at risk from the superstitious among us. But I will be cheered to think they get their own back. Ah, Karma, you deft bitch... :D

Yes, this was kind of a wish-fulfillment poem. :) Unfortunately, my neighborhood is a popular dumping ground for unwanted pets, which includes a disproportionate number of black cats. I’d love to think that those who abandon them eventually get theirs – and that those who adopt them get theirs, too.

From Desiderius_Price on October 25, 2017

Town Made of Straw - Good

Thank you

From CloverReef on October 25, 2017

This is a review of Town Made of Straw by Tahn. 

"If left unchecked, the giant black birds would raze the city, burning everything and devouring any poor souls they came across."

My first thought: "Oh my god, who taught these birds how to light a match!?" Which is a fun mental image. Just a bunch of giant, hooligan crows flicking lighters and, I dunno why, acting like 80's British punks. 

I'm getting a "Hunger Games" crossed with "Children of the Corn", but with birds, vibe. It was so dark and creepy. I knew that something was gonna happen at the end based on the tag, but it was still unexpected and shudder-worthy. Well done, Tahn.

I’m glad you liked it :D I was hoping I wasn’t being too obvious.

From GeorgeGlass on October 26, 2017

Tahn -- Town Made of Straw

Nicely done. I like the logic of the murder of murderous crows bypassing the town because of the smell of rotting flesh. And the concept of building your own scarecrow kind of made me think of Jesus willingly building his own cross. (I mean, he could have, right? He was a carpenter in his first job.) Or possibly a DIY Wicker Man. In any case, I enjoyed it.

Hehe, first so far to bring up the murder of crows thing :D 

From KoKoa_B on October 26, 2017

Town Made of Straw by Tahn:

I was one of the first to read this before you thought of posting it but I will show others what I felt :P I was expecting the crows to have to do with a lot but yeah, no. Nicely done and as we’ve told you before, I think you’ve found your common genre. Creepy and spooky tales suit you (not that dragons and sweetness doesn’t. But you seem to pump these out more than any other story)! Good job.

I do enjoy the creepy dark stories. I need to get back to them, I miss them

From pippychick on November 11, 2017

Tahn - Town Made of Straw

Ah, I kind of suspected something like that as soon as the "important" people weren't included any more. But still very good and creepy for something so short. Anyone over five years old? That's cold, indeed. Very well written! :)

Hahaha, I’m glad someone noticed that little detail. Sometimes the scarecrows were a bit smaller than others.

From BronxWench on November 13, 2017

Town Made of Straw

Oh, this was nicely done. Short, sweet, and a pleasantly bloody ending. I'm very intrigued by these crows... :D

I was trying my hand at writing creepy shorts, and this one popped in my head. Who doesn't think scarecrows are creepy, right?

Thank you for the reviews guys, loved them all. Great job on your stories as well, since I know most of the reviewers were our own storytellers. Awesome party. See you again next year

From Tahn on November 24th, 2017

Bones: Not really my thing, but no one likes everything. Good job on bringing the gruesome. 

Thanks, it was my first real venture in the more gruesome aspects and doubled as a character development side-story as I plan to reuse one of the characters in one (or more) of my stories..

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.