Click Here!

when to use them?

SirGeneralSir

Yes, I personally had a hard time with writing because I was a descriptive writer, you knew about every crack in the wall, the dripping of blood etc etc etc.

it was easy for me to make 1 chapter into 75 – 100 pages long, now ive set to no more than 20, 15 being the actual goal.

7 hours ago, CloverReef said:

And I like Pippy’s option for a totally different reason, because she has such a fascinating way with words that I could never pull off. Somehow she manages to do it without coming off as ‘wordy’. 

lol.. thank you :)

Given how things are going lately, though… I should probably be taking a much more critical look at everything I do, because something is very wrong. If I’d have been doing the S&M stuff right from the beginning, clearly he’d have made that elf write and post fanfiction… *nods*

Trouble is, I’m really not sure I can change all that much about my work without drastically altering the rhythm of the prose and the pacing. My ear won’t like that at all :( 

Back on topic, if I was going to edit my suggestion, SGS, I’d probably go with:

“...I couldn’t take another round with you,” she said in a quiet purr of satisfaction. It made him feel…. etc...

good points all around.

so what are some other sound words that might be used (generally speaking) that could be hard to place?

cooed we kind of covered, but what are some other ones that could be used to create a feeling of expression from a character?

grunting, groaning, growling (all G’s? ) are easy I think, so what else?

I think there are some that are hard to place because they’re a bit dated, but still can have an impact if used well. Like Chortled and guffawed. Simpered. Even giggled can be tough to place when all your characters are tough, badass men, but sometimes effective. 

Edited by CloverReef

8 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

what about mewed and other versions of it?

I actually never understood its literal meaning in the context of 

<The girl mewed> 

I think mewed (in humans) is similar to a… quiet but desperate whine? I’m not sure, though. That word isn’t used a whole lot with adult male characters in the stories I read/write.

I’ve seen it used with male chars but only when they were being represented as excessively cute and helpless. Usually while sexily/cutely begging for something. In animals, (In my opinion) a mew is different from a meow in that I’d usually just apply it to kittens begging for milk, so when applied to characters in a story and sexual situations, I’d use the same sorta context. A helpless/cute character wanting something and begging for it.