Click Here!

Browsing stories

Cereal_Killer

Hello can anyone tell me how do i browse the stories on the website? Right now you can only see them by selecting a category and going after specific show and that is it, there is no sorting whatsoever. I'm also interested in browsing newest stories first like for example stories from the last month and so on?

As far as I know (not being an archive mod) the stories that appear on the “front page” of each category are the stories that have been recently updated. And there should be subcategories in almost every archive, categorized according to type, i.e. M/M, F/F, M/F, etc. and also many of the archives have pairing specific subcategories. (Like, Harry/Ron, Sam/Dean, etc.) 

The archive mods should be on a bit later in the day, and they can answer your questions better. 

Willow Darkling, forum mod

7 hours ago, Cereal_Killer said:

Hello can anyone tell me how do i browse the stories on the website? Right now you can only see them by selecting a category and going after specific show and that is it, there is no sorting whatsoever. I'm also interested in browsing newest stories first like for example stories from the last month and so on?

It would probably help a bit if you mentioned the archive subdomain you’re reading. Many subdomains like Cartoons or Television have categories for individual shows, but within those categories, there is no further sorting at the moment. Single fandom subdomains, like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, will have categories based on the genre (Het, Slash, Femmeslash, AU, Crossover, etc) and subcategories based on pairings. Because the entire subdomain is devoted to a single fandom, it’s easier to make those distinctions.

However, the top page for every subdomain, category or subcategory always has the latest uploads and updates in reverse chronological order.

I'm going mostly into television. However for me there are problems with the reverse chronological order. Most of the times when i enter a category there is going to be some that might be from last day or so, but right under this it would be something like 3 march 2014 and so on. So that is why i'm asking because some times the chronological order doesn't work. But also i want to search for all new stories regardless of subcategory.

That might be because a story hasn’t been added or uploaded since that date. Not every category under Television is that active. We tend to see trends there, with some shows dwindling in activity while newer shows absorb author attention. Keep in mind that the first date listed is the initial posting date, and then the last update is shown. The database does move stories to the top of the subdomain home page based on last update.

Looking at the main homepage (covering all categories) for that subdomain at this moment, I’m seeing:

The wrong night,the wrong man. -:- By : ItwasMerlin -:- Published : October 16, 2016

Updated : September 4, 2017 4:46 am -:- Rated : Adult ++ -:- Chapters : 8 -:- Reviews : 29 -:- Dragon prints : 11984
Located : 1 through F > Castle

Going to the Stargate SG-1 category yields:

Bad Idea -:- By : Midknight -:- Published : January 5, 2016
Updated : January 5, 2016 3:26 pm -:- Rated : Adult + -:- Chapters : 1 -:- Reviews : 1 -:- Dragon prints : 1117
Located : Stargate: SG-1 > Stargate Atlantis

Set somewhere between Season 2 and 3. Elizabeth finds out that a bad idea can be really, really good.

Content Tags : AFFO HJ M/F Oral PWP WIP

A Very Happy New Year! -:- By : SenaKD -:- Published : February 2, 2014
Updated : February 2, 2014 10:45 pm -:- Rated : Adult + -:- Chapters : 1 -:- Reviews : 0 -:- Dragon prints : 385
Located : Stargate: SG-1 > Stargate Atlantis

The New Year has come around again, but Radek Zelenka and Rodney McKay have chosen to spend the time contributing to science and the betterment of the power supply rather then wasting time partying. They will have to celebrate the New Year

Content Tags : COMPLETE M/M Oneshot

It’s not that active a category, so the last new posting/update was January 5, 2016. There’s nothing newer to show. So, within a specific category, or subcategory, you might see what appears to be very old stories on top, but that’s because there’s nothing newer to show.

You're getting a bit confused here. My problem is not that there are no new stories, but that the new are mixed with the old.

As i said when i enter certain categories there are new stories, but right beneath them they are old so it looks like this.

Updated : September 2, 2017

Updated : August 29, 2017

Updated : February 2, 2014

Updated : August 28, 2017

Updated : February 2, 2013

And so on.

Can you link me to that category? It shouldn’t appear like that at all. The Published date won’t change, but the sort is by the Updated date, so it should always be reverse chron by that date.

Edited by BronxWench

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.