Click Here!

Archive ebook downloading

ElPirato

I would like to know if there will be a way to download stories as ebooks (.pdf, .epub, .mobi, etc.) I don’t see a kink and I know this archive isn’t accepted by the FanFicFare Calibre plugin. I hope there’s something in the future

1 hour ago, WillowDarkling said:

I’m answering this as an author on this site, not as a staff member. But I am pretty sure that there will not be any kind of a download feature added to the site. And as an author, I would not want one. 

I second this. I don’t want to make it any easier for people to plagiarize or steal and sell my work, it’s already too easy as it is. I love that AFF doesn’t have that option.

I’m going to tackle this first as a moderator, and then as an author.

As a moderator, our archive code doesn’t allow for such a feature. While we’re well aware there is no practical way to keep anyone from copying and pasting material from almost any fiction archive, it has never been AFF policy to enable that, since plagiarism is a crime. People have lost jobs and been sued for actual monetary damages over theft of intellectual property and copyright violation.

As an author, both on this site and published for sale, I have a strong objection to making it easier to find my hard work posted on a pirate website, earning someone else money. I don’t make my living writing. Most of us don’t, because only a relative few authors are going to reach “star” status and be able to support themselves solely by writing. It still doesn’t make it any less wrenching to see my work on a pirate site, and yes, I file the DMCA, and yes, I go after the hosting site if the pirate doesn’t comply. And yes, I’d file charges. I spend a long time writing a novel, polishing it, submitting it to a publisher, working with an editor, and marketing it. 

I probably should be nice and not mention your nom de plume as part of the inspiration for this post, but let’s just say I can’t resist.

As a reader, I do see where some other readers would appreciate the option to download to read offline.  However that does not take into consideration how much easier it is to steal from the writers.  I’d point out that it is already all too easy to copy/paste someone else’s hard earned words.  I am willing to sacrifice being able to read offline to afford some protection.

As a staff member, we take a very dim view of thievery.  I direct anyone wishing for proof to browse through the Hall of Shame.

As a writer, I’m not against making stories accessible to readers, but I do want my work as protected as possible.  Having had work stolen from me, I can vouch that it is an extraordinarily unpleasant violation of trust.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.