Click Here!

Genres

CloverReef

What genre/categories do you write in and why? Which ones do you avoid because you don’t like them, or avoid because they’re daunting?

Seems like a random question, but I’ve been mulling over taking another dip into fantasy. And when I mull, I ask a lot of questions. “Why do people read fantasy?” “Do I want to write campy fantasy, epic fantasy, or dark fantasy?” “What fantasy tropes should I stick with?” “How much fantasy is too much fantasy?” 

I think most genres come with questions of their own. For me, fantasy is daunting because I have trouble deciding whether something is eyeroll-worthy or suspend-belief worthy when so much of it relies on that belief suspension. I tend to write dramas and thrillers with supernatural elements (or just plain violent), probably because I spent my life reading them. It’s easy to keep them character driven and sometimes fantastical and still pull enough of the real world in that I’m comfortable with the believability factor. 

So:
What genres/categories do you play in?
What genres/categories do you avoid?
Why?

Edited by CloverReef

Well, you know what mine are, as my Beta, but…

My area of specialty, so to speak, is science fiction or speculative fiction.   I also don't mind writing historical, but a lot of the time, I find myself having to smudge a detail slightly...  And I don't like doing that…

I really avoid the romance...  Like extremely...  Like vampire and sunlight (and not the Twilight vampires...)...  I don't really think I do good writing it...  I actually think I fail when I've tried (I'm sure anyone keeping up on CHHW would agree...)  Another I avoid, though not as vehemently, is westerns.  I was never interested in them, so now I don't really have the interest in writing them.

Why do I write SciFi and historical?  I guess it's the love of stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars with my grandfather.  Good memories instilling that deep love of the genre.  When I started writing, sci fi was the first I wrote...  And historical, I just love history.

I love historical, I just find it sooo difficult, mostly for the reason you mentioned. It’s hard to determine where it’s best to take a few artistic liberties and where to go with the research. But it’s soooo much fun. 

On 6/20/2017 at 10:44 PM, CloverReef said:

What genre/categories do you write in and why? Which ones do you avoid because you don’t like them, or avoid because they’re daunting?

Seems like a random question, but I’ve been mulling over taking another dip into fantasy. And when I mull, I ask a lot of questions. “Why do people read fantasy?” “Do I want to write campy fantasy, epic fantasy, or dark fantasy?” “What fantasy tropes should I stick with?” “How much fantasy is too much fantasy?” 

I think most genres come with questions of their own. For me, fantasy is daunting because I have trouble deciding whether something is eyeroll-worthy or suspend-belief worthy when so much of it relies on that belief suspension. I tend to write dramas and thrillers with supernatural elements (or just plain violent), probably because I spent my life reading them. It’s easy to keep them character driven and sometimes fantastical and still pull enough of the real world in that I’m comfortable with the believability factor. 

So:
Why?

Hey! Cool post!

Most of all, I do romance :P I’m afraid I’m a little over the top, sopy at times, but idk, it balences out with my extreme love of drama!

Woah, I think I just described the scene of a soap opera… Ok, nevermind, I’m gonna have to rethink that *smh*

I’m attempting sci-fi in the story I’m working on currently. Its a challenge for me. I’m using a single character’s 3rd person perspective to keep certain plot points hidden from the readers and as the plot progresses, I’m very slowly unraveling the scifi. I def knew from the start I wouldn’t be able to go full blown ALIEN INVASION shit. So I structured the story to support my oh so wonderful talents  in drama bs. Rofl!

I’m also interested in trying some fantasy when I’m done with my current story… I’d be interested to know how other people attempt that genre as well. I think it’s going to be a tough process… It’s not something I’ll approach without a lot of planning involved.

I already know I want to invent a mythology, an imaginary kingdom and a new world to put it in. I want magic with love spells and death potions and maybe a magical creature here and there :P 

Edited by mastershakeme

On 6/21/2017 at 5:23 AM, Tcr said:

My area of specialty, so to speak, is science fiction or speculative fiction.   I also don't mind writing historical, but a lot of the time, I find myself having to smudge a detail slightly...  And I don't like doing that…

I really avoid the romance...  Like extremely...  Like vampire and sunlight (and not the Twilight vampires...)...  I don't really think I do good writing it...  I actually think I fail when I've tried (I'm sure anyone keeping up on CHHW would agree...)  Another I avoid, though not as vehemently, is westerns.  I was never interested in them, so now I don't really have the interest in writing them.

Why do I write SciFi and historical?  I guess it's the love of stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars with my grandfather.  Good memories instilling that deep love of the genre.  When I started writing, sci fi was the first I wrote...  And historical, I just love history.

Aww! I love that you mentioned your feelings and emotions here… You even mentioned your grandfather! That’s so special and sweet! You should always stay true to your passions, but I swear you have it in you to be a romantic :P 

I know you struggle a little in CHHW but its not bad! I’m a beta too, ok :P

16 hours ago, CloverReef said:

I love historical, I just find it sooo difficult, mostly for the reason you mentioned. It’s hard to determine where it’s best to take a few artistic liberties and where to go with the research. But it’s soooo much fun. 

I’ve never attempted history… it WOULD be difficult. Lol. I had a couple ideas I wanted to attempt that took place in the past, but I’m just afraid of messing up real facts. I’m not a good researcher of history, I’m not even going to pretend :P Haha! How about writing an AU? huh? huh! It’s my take on how history played out :P

8 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

depends on my mood for the universe that I want to write in, the kind of things that I want to happen to the characters and how it happens.

Hmmm, that’s slightly vauge SirGeneralSir! It sounds like your characters are created in an awesome dream like world, where anything’s possible :P Fantasy much? Or do you prefer scifi? 

I don’t restrict myself to any genre, nor do I deliberately avoid any.  I only normally write original fiction though.  I do like to challenge myself and push into different areas.  I’ve only lightly dabbled in sci fi once so I’d like to do that again one day (sending unwanted plot ideas my way will be appreciated ;)), but my favourite genres are horror and fantasy.  I’m open to any genre though.

10 hours ago, mastershakeme said:

I’ve never attempted history… it WOULD be difficult. Lol. I had a couple ideas I wanted to attempt that took place in the past, but I’m just afraid of messing up real facts. I’m not a good researcher of history, I’m not even going to pretend :P Haha! How about writing an AU? huh? huh! It’s my take on how history played out

Oh yeah, the few times I’ve wanted to do history, I’ve ended up going with AU because worrying about facts was too much of a nuisance lol. Well… I call it ‘History-inspired fantasy’. 

Just now, Desiderius Price said:

Historical fiction is that, fiction ….

True. Though depending on how many of the facts you change, at some point you have to cease calling it historical. I wouldn’t really call abraham lincoln vs vampires ‘historical’ though it’s definitely history-inspired lol. 

9 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

True. Though depending on how many of the facts you change, at some point you have to cease calling it historical. I wouldn’t really call abraham lincoln vs vampires ‘historical’ though it’s definitely history-inspired lol. 

Wait!  Hold the phone!  Stop the presses!  Abraham Lincoln didn't fight vampires and that wasn't the reason for the Civil War?  Damn, I've been under the wrong impression!   Guess I gotta cut the Vampires as leaders of Nazi Germany out now... ;)

Yea! I’m really liking this idea of AU history… Does the Abraham Lincon vs Vampires have a specific genre lol? 

I’ve got a question for anyone who’s seen his stuff… is Quentin Tarantino, like the Django, The Hateful Eight and Inglorious Basterds… Are those AU history? He’s probably not as cool as i think he is, lol, but I’ve been wanting to do Django-ess m/m since I saw that in theaters.

OK! lol I feel like i’m about to let out the fangirl :P

22 hours ago, SirGeneralSir said:

i prefer a good story, its all about what i want to happen, how it should happen etc.

I have a Naruto story still in the works, but I also have others that ive been working on in my mind of very different worlds

Right on! I bet you get some crazy plot ideas playing around in Naruto’s world. lol. I understand completely :P

20 hours ago, Melrick said:

I don’t restrict myself to any genre, nor do I deliberately avoid any.  I only normally write original fiction though.  I do like to challenge myself and push into different areas.  I’ve only lightly dabbled in sci fi once so I’d like to do that again one day (sending unwanted plot ideas my way will be appreciated ;)), but my favourite genres are horror and fantasy.  I’m open to any genre though.

I really liked Ripples… I’ve always wanted to attempt horror, it’s one of my favorite genres to watch. But its just never anything I’ve ever picked up to read. I’ve never touched Stephen King… I said all this in a review so I’ll just shut my fangirl mouth! 

But yeah. I have a horror plot bunny hopping around in my head. i’ve got a good memory for stories, thankfully, so its tucked away in a corner of my mind. Horror bunny…. I’m imagining a zombie dragging its little bunny foot behind it! Ahhh!

Anyways, I was very restricted to plain jane romance, but as i’m attempting my sci fi story, i’m coming to see that just because I feel the writing will be a challenge, doesn’t mean its impossible… I fake myself out all the time. I plan a scene and think “There’s no way I can pull this off!” and i go over and over it in my head. Its like i have all my little dollies set up for this grand event, and i keep moving them around and changing their hair, lol!!!

It works though.For me anyway. Attempting sci fi has been a great learning experience! Challenge is not only good for my writing but its good for me too, because I’m really happy with my recent work. I literally had no idea i was capable of it :P                                                                                          

I think that’s when we really find out exactly where our writing level is at, when we push ourselves outside of our comfort zones.  Staying in your comfort zone is safe but I personally think your writing can stagnate if you do that.  Writing for different genres forces you to think differently, approach things in a way that you wouldn’t have before.  My biggest Achilles Heel is coming up with plots that I’m happy with.  I find it very, very difficult, which is frustrating.

I’m glad you enjoyed my story. :thumbsup: And you should definitely have a go at writing horror one day.  It’ll be good experience if nothing else.

17 minutes ago, Melrick said:

I think that’s when we really find out exactly where our writing level is at, when we push ourselves outside of our comfort zones.  Staying in your comfort zone is safe but I personally think your writing can stagnate if you do that.  Writing for different genres forces you to think differently, approach things in a way that you wouldn’t have before.  My biggest Achilles Heel is coming up with plots that I’m happy with.  I find it very, very difficult, which is frustrating.

I’m glad you enjoyed my story. :thumbsup: And you should definitely have a go at writing horror one day.  It’ll be good experience if nothing else.

You are correct! I don’t want to stay in my comfort zone forever, and i’m def trying to improve and steer clear of stagnancy, so i know i’m going in the right direction. Also, i suppose that’s why I see so many different genres and challenges under your name, you are constantly seeing improvement as well *eye rolll* duh!

Thanks for the support Melrick! i agree, every attempt in my writing, while its not always been good, its always been an experience. I’ll tackle horror one day :P 

1 minute ago, Melrick said:

While I don’t avoid this genre, the one I’m least confident in is erotica.  I don’t think I’m all that great at writing sex scenes.  I think I’m better at all the non-sex related stuff.  Still, I give it a red hot go none the less. ;)

I figured practice would help me…. :P

4 minutes ago, Melrick said:

While I don’t avoid this genre, the one I’m least confident in is erotica.  I don’t think I’m all that great at writing sex scenes.  I think I’m better at all the non-sex related stuff.  Still, I give it a red hot go none the less. ;)

ok, seriously? I felt kinda uncomfortable reading your stuff because I thought it was like real :P And by uncomfortable, i mean wet, Rofl!!!

3 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

I figured practice would help me…. :P

practice in fiction or in sex??? :P Ok, i’m getting off topic now :P 

19 minutes ago, mastershakeme said:

ok, seriously? I felt kinda uncomfortable reading your stuff because I thought it was like real :P And by uncomfortable, i mean wet, Rofl!!!

Maybe I just have unreasonably high expectations for myself.  In fact, I’m certain I do.  I don’t know if I’ve ever written a sex scene that I was truly happy with. I always feel I could do a lot better.  And I’m glad I could make you wet. ;) lol

Mostly fantasy. I think its called low fantasy? Like more realistic fantasy I mean. And I like historically inspired stuff. I also dabbed a bit  into scifi. And of course u gotta have some romance and erotica mixed in all of that! I did write a few supernatural, and kinda horror-ish stories in the past but I just don't find it very interesting currently.

Anything that requires too much research. Writing is already too much work! And I'm a lazy cunt so yeah…

I do have a love for history and find a lot of inspiration from it but the idea of writing in an actual historical setting doesn't appeal to me much. I guess that I'm kinda intimidated by all of the research and lack of freedom. That being said I wouldn't rule it out completely, maybe one day I feel confident to try.

I also avoid any modern day slice of life. I guess it feels to real and boring for my taste.

And honestly idk if I will ever write anything without romance or sex. That doesn't really mean I write romance/erotica, I just like to combine it with fantasy for example.

Why?

Well I think I explained myself pretty much. But I guess I could say a bit about why I like fantasy. I like to worlbuild and I like an environment where I have complete freedom to make whatever type of shit I want. Its pretty fucking awesome and u can get creative. But sometimes it is kinda tiresome that u have to do some things from scratch and with a detail obsessed nitpicker like me things can get ugly and take forever.

its all about the plot, why is A doing this, what does B have to do with it and how does C appear to be connected to it all?

I could write a Trek fic, one set in the LOTR ish world or even one set in today with normal settings and problems.

the different worlds just give me more things to play with, more technology to explain it, magic to create it and so on.

I dont write full out sex stories, my Naruto story only has 3? chapters that have actual sex in it, and its currently 33 chapters long with a thick plot, detailed OC characters and staying as close to canon but still an AU of the world.

24 minutes ago, sweetmamajama said:

Anything that requires too much research. Writing is already too much work! And I'm a lazy cunt so yeah…

LOL!!! :lol:

So, yeah! I think fantasy is one of the hardest genres to do... We all agreed history wasn't easy, but... The world building and the very fact that I'm in charge of all the crazy rules terrifies me! More than history! 

Kudos to you @sweetmamajama :D

28 minutes ago, SirGeneralSir said:

I dont write full out sex stories, my Naruto story only has 3? chapters that have actual sex in it, and its currently 33 chapters long with a thick plot, detailed OC characters and staying as close to canon but still an AU of the world.

Aww! I don't know tons about the Naruto universe but I spent lots of time in Harry Potter Fandom... The kind of stories you describe are my all time  favorites. The ones with deep plot and love and attention on character development... I didn't mind having to wait until chapter 10 to get a sex scene, and it was fucking intense when they finally hooked up too, because WE'D ALL WAITED SO LONG! 

very cool,  man :D

1 hour ago, mastershakeme said:

So, yeah! I think fantasy is one of the hardest genres to do... We all agreed history wasn't easy, but... The world building and the very fact that I'm in charge of all the crazy rules terrifies me! More than history!

World building’s easy…. bbl, need to work on that database tracking mine….

Edited by Desiderius Price

2 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

World building’s easy…. bbl, need to work on that database tracking mine….

Lol shut up :P

Ya got any tips for world building? I'll probably keep it as close to normal as possible cuz I'm lazy... But I could be convinced to do it the hard way if it's worth it... 

What do you keep track of?