Click Here!

Other places I publish my works

It turns out, as I have learned, that you cannot put links to other websites in your fanfictions published here. That, of course, makes perfect sense. I mean, why would I want my readers to check other places where I am much more comfortable publishing my stories, that not only do not inhibit, but encourage posting them, thus making it much more pleasant experience? How delightfully absurd.

Anyway, here are the websites: 

Ao3 – vastly superior in pretty much every way; all of my fics, and prompts are published there

tumblr – quickest to spread, I guess. All of my fics, and prompts are published there. There is an outdated masterpost in sidebar.

Fanfiction.net – oh dear god, this hellhole. Painful to edit, with completely backwards idea of publishing stories. Do not recommend. Only selected few of my stories are there. 

Edited by nautiscarader

I would like to point out that if AO3, tumblr, and the ever-present Pit would care to advertise with us, we’d be delighted to let you redirect to them to your little heart’s content. However, since they aren’t supporting us, we see absolutely no reason to offer them free advertising, especially when we have advertisers who do pay for banner ads here.

In keeping with our censorship-free policy, however, we won’t poke at your use of our forum to insult AFF.  I will, however, point you to our Terms of Service and the Content Guidelines incorporated therein.

Edited by BronxWench

1 hour ago, BronxWench said:

I would like to point out that if AO3, tumblr, and the ever-present Pit would care to advertise with us, we’d be delighted to let you redirect to them to your little heart’s content. However, since they aren’t supporting us, we see absolutely no reason to offer them free advertising, especially when we have advertisers who do pay for banner ads here.

In keeping with our censorship-free policy, however, we won’t poke at your use of our forum to insult AFF.  I will, however, point you to our Terms of Service and the Content Guidelines incorporated therein.

Well, if you think that me showing clear and obvious problems with your websites is insulting you, then it means I did a good job deleting my stories from this website, since I don’t want to have anything in common with such levels of incompetence.  

You pointed out no clear and obvious problems with AFF. You had a tantrum. If you’d like your account removed, please let me know, and I’ll see that it’s taken care of for you by the admins.

Well, looking at this user’s profile, there are no stories published here.  Having said that, I get the distinct impression what we have here is a “rules are for everyone but me” thing, yet again.  The archive is moderated, consistently, continuously, and most importantly, FAIRLY.  It HAS to be due to the nature of the content, or we don’t exist.  It’s that simple.

15 hours ago, nautiscarader said:

It turns out, as I have learned, that you cannot put links to other websites in your fanfictions published here. That, of course, makes perfect sense. I mean, why would I want my readers to check other places where I am much more comfortable publishing my stories, that not only do not inhibit, but encourage posting them, thus making it much more pleasant experience? How delightfully absurd.

Anyway, here are the websites: 

Ao3 – vastly superior in pretty much every way; all of my fics, and prompts are published there

tumblr – quickest to spread, I guess. All of my fics, and prompts are published there. There is an outdated masterpost in sidebar.

Fanfiction.net – oh dear god, this hellhole. Painful to edit, with completely backwards idea of publishing stories. Do not recommend. Only selected few of my stories are there. 

Can you explain how we’re supposed to cross post? I was just berated a little in a different post because I don’t have links to the other sites I’m on… I thought for sure ADVERTISING other sites was off limits. I’m not plagiarizing. I don’t know how it works, but all the accounts are on the same email. I’M ME. So I just figured if it was ever needed, I could simply verify I am who I say I am… Flipping terms of service… OMG! I’m not going to worry about it. Now i’m getting frustrated. I shouldn’t worry right? As long as I’m not a liar I’m fine….right? 

I’m on AO3 as well. I like it over there too… I will never understand why there’s no direct reply to messages on this site. Things just seem super old fashioned here… I found an EXCELLENT BETA on these forums though and I learned a butt-ton from her… Thanks @CloverReef!!!

Anyways, I’m on gay authors too… I don’t really understand their terms of service. I have a feeling most of the M/M authors on here are avoiding that site because of it. But I don’t write about necro and minor sex, so I’m free to post. Idk, I’m feeling super judged for cross-posting and I’m the flipping author! Screw what anyone else thinks! lol Sorry, i’m def ranting...

1 hour ago, mastershakeme said:

Can you explain how we’re supposed to cross post? I was just berated a little in a different post because I don’t have links to the other sites I’m on… I thought for sure ADVERTISING other sites was off limits. I’m not plagiarizing. I don’t know how it works, but all the accounts are on the same email. I’M ME. So I just figured if it was ever needed, I could simply verify I am who I say I am… Flipping terms of service… OMG! I’m not going to worry about it. Now i’m getting frustrated. I shouldn’t worry right? As long as I’m not a liar I’m fine….right? 

I’m on AO3 as well. I like it over there too… I will never understand why there’s no direct reply to messages on this site. Things just seem super old fashioned here… I found an EXCELLENT BETA on these forums though and I learned a butt-ton from her… Thanks @CloverReef!!!

Anyways, I’m on gay authors too… I don’t really understand their terms of service. I have a feeling most of the M/M authors on here are avoiding that site because of it. But I don’t write about necro and minor sex, so I’m free to post. Idk, I’m feeling super judged for cross-posting and I’m the flipping author! Screw what anyone else thinks! lol Sorry, i’m def ranting...

Okay calm down. There are no rules against you posting your stories on every site you come across, the only thing we ask is that you don’t use your story here to drive people to your stories on other sites. Pretty simple. Just follow the rules and you’ll be fine. There’s even a handy forum here that answers many questions new users have: FAQs

As for no direct answers here…you are mistaken. I too have been on other sites and can tell you here at AFF if you ask a question you are guaranteed to get an answer. But, and this is a big one, if you ask a question in the middle of a thread on a completely different topic in the forum you’re bound to get a bunch of answers from other users which may or may not be correct. If you have a truly burning question and really need an answer, I suggest you either PM one of the moderators, (I’m one of them and I would have gladly answered your question if I had seen it but I do have a life and can’t patrol every thread in the forum looking for unanswered user questions.) or start a thread in the designated part of the forum. If you browse through you’ll see that most people waited less than 24 hours for answers to their questions.

As for plagiarism claims arising from cross posting, unless you’re guilty of it, you have no need to worry. Even when we get a report of such a thing happening, we don’t automatically put you in the hall of shame. We do our research and have to have evidence that a story has been poached to do that, which includes contacting the author of the story assumed stolen. As you said, you can prove you are you and that’s the only thing we ask.

You may not love everything about AFF but I can tell you this, the people here are more than happy to help and the archive is actively moderated and every user is treated fairly. If you need anything further on this feel free to send me a PM.

CL

3 hours ago, mastershakeme said:

msm – I truly apologize If I came across as berating as I was intending to be helpful/informative.  I’m a bit socially inept and text’s not great at conveying social cues.

2 hours ago, CL Mustafic said:

Okay calm down. There are no rules against you posting your stories on every site you come across, the only thing we ask is that you don’t use your story here to drive people to your stories on other sites. Pretty simple. Just follow the rules and you’ll be fine. There’s even a handy forum here that answers many questions new users have: FAQs

As for no direct answers here…you are mistaken. I too have been on other sites and can tell you here at AFF if you ask a question you are guaranteed to get an answer. But, and this is a big one, if you ask a question in the middle of a thread on a completely different topic in the forum you’re bound to get a bunch of answers from other users which may or may not be correct. If you have a truly burning question and really need an answer, I suggest you either PM one of the moderators, (I’m one of them and I would have gladly answered your question if I had seen it but I do have a life and can’t patrol every thread in the forum looking for unanswered user questions.) or start a thread in the designated part of the forum. If you browse through you’ll see that most people waited less than 24 hours for answers to their questions.

As for plagiarism claims arising from cross posting, unless you’re guilty of it, you have no need to worry. Even when we get a report of such a thing happening, we don’t automatically put you in the hall of shame. We do our research and have to have evidence that a story has been poached to do that, which includes contacting the author of the story assumed stolen. As you said, you can prove you are you and that’s the only thing we ask.

You may not love everything about AFF but I can tell you this, the people here are more than happy to help and the archive is actively moderated and every user is treated fairly. If you need anything further on this feel free to send me a PM.

CL

Hey @CL Mustafic You did in fact answer all my questions… I did think The Wall of Shame was going to be automatic. We’re all humans right :P I was just imagining Bots deleting everything and I was gonna be gone or something and then you guys will look at me like a criminal. I always assume the worst… I’m going to go ahead and follow you…. I have lots of questions but the thing is I get it answered once and if I’m still confused, I just assume that means I’m dumb and I have to be punished by learning the hard way, like feed me to the wolfs, I wasn’t listening hard enough the first time :( Thanks a lot… I do in fact appreciate it. Everything will be peachy keen!

38 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

msm – I truly apologize If I came across as berating as I was intending to be helpful/informative.  I’m a bit socially inept and text’s not great at conveying social cues.

Dude, I just got scared. I was like. Cait! You’ve been warned! The clock starts NOW! Figure it out, dummy! I totally understand about the social cues in text… That’s exactly what I’m talking about! Are other people on FB, is there a group or something? I’m talking to @Tcr daily, and @CloverReef and @sweetmamajama quite a bit as well. I just been really neat talking to writers… I avoid my ‘real life’ FB friends cuz I’m super tired of talking about their vacations and their new babies and shit. Lol. I just want to ask about stuff like this… I was gonna talk to cloverreef today in private, but you guys were like FRIENDS :wub: and now I’m just gonna tell her about the awesome help I got, even though I freaked out like my usually crazy self :P 

3 minutes ago, mastershakeme said:

Hey @CL Mustafic You did in fact answer all my questions… I did think The Wall of Shame was going to be automatic. We’re all humans right :P I was just imagining Bots deleting everything and I was gonna be gone or something and then you guys will look at me like a criminal. I always assume the worst… I’m going to go ahead and follow you…. I have lots of questions but the thing is I get it answered once and if I’m still confused, I just assume that means I’m dumb and I have to be punished by learning the hard way, like feed me to the wolfs, I wasn’t listening hard enough the first time :( Thanks a lot… I do in fact appreciate it. Everything will be peachy keen!

There are no bots, I assure you we are all human. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, unless you are rude or assume the rules shouldn’t apply to you because you are some sort of special little person (see above), you’ll always receive a polite and usually quick response from the staff. I’d rather have you ask than have to go through the hassle of warning you which eats into my writing time. :P

Don’t feel like you need to tiptoe around, we’re really a friendly bunch here at AFF.

15 minutes ago, CL Mustafic said:

There are no bots, I assure you we are all human. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, unless you are rude or assume the rules shouldn’t apply to you because you are some sort of special little person (see above), you’ll always receive a polite and usually quick response from the staff. I’d rather have you ask than have to go through the hassle of warning you which eats into my writing time. :P

Don’t feel like you need to tiptoe around, we’re really a friendly bunch here at AFF.

I'm making a note… “questions are easier than warnings. FOR EVERYBODY.”

Again and again, its proved to me you guys are not the scary monsters I’m dreaming up. I have a lot more to learn than just writing, TBH :blush:. Thanks again...

32 minutes ago, mastershakeme said:

I'm making a note… “questions are easier than warnings. FOR EVERYBODY.”

Again and again, its proved to me you guys are not the scary monsters I’m dreaming up. I have a lot more to learn than just writing, TBH :blush:. Thanks again...

You’re cool.  I took this past week off from work, and it’s been nice having you on the forums.  Feel free to stop by the Chatbox, the more the merrier.

No bots here! But I’ve been scarce this past week, and will be scarce next week. Most of the time, I’m around, and I make it a point to try and answer questions quickly. That’s really the part of moderating I consider most important, because we all miss something about every site, and it helps to have someone to ask.

As far as warnings, even the site’s owner was warned once. We’re impartial about the rules, and staff who write will get warned like any other member if we forget a tag, or miss a part on the disclaimer.

But yes, it’s HARD to get the proper context as far as tone when you’re posting and chatting. A lot of times, jokes get misinterpreted, and people wind up feeling bad because something read the wrong way. Sweetmamajama jokes with everyone, and some of the things she says might read to someone else as harsh, or rude, whereas anyone who’s taken the time to get to know her a bit knows it’s just teasing and done with no ill intent. (Sorry, sweetmamajama, for using you as the example, and I’m not poking, honest!) Me, I try to be mindful that I’m staff, and I re-read posts a LOT to make sure I don’t come off wrong. I overuse emoticons when necessary, too. :licking-cat:

1 hour ago, BronxWench said:

No bots here! But I’ve been scarce this past week, and will be scarce next week. Most of the time, I’m around, and I make it a point to try and answer questions quickly. That’s really the part of moderating I consider most important, because we all miss something about every site, and it helps to have someone to ask.

As far as warnings, even the site’s owner was warned once. We’re impartial about the rules, and staff who write will get warned like any other member if we forget a tag, or miss a part on the disclaimer.

But yes, it’s HARD to get the proper context as far as tone when you’re posting and chatting. A lot of times, jokes get misinterpreted, and people wind up feeling bad because something read the wrong way. Sweetmamajama jokes with everyone, and some of the things she says might read to someone else as harsh, or rude, whereas anyone who’s taken the time to get to know her a bit knows it’s just teasing and done with no ill intent. (Sorry, sweetmamajama, for using you as the example, and I’m not poking, honest!) Me, I try to be mindful that I’m staff, and I re-read posts a LOT to make sure I don’t come off wrong. I overuse emoticons when necessary, too. :licking-cat:

Yepper! I've been warned in the past. I used song lyrics and didn't give credit to bands. OOPS! I also got flagged for necro once and I had to go back through my own story to find the little mention I'd written and forgot about. I don't remember which mod I spoke to, but it might have been you! I was grumpy because my story got hidden. But which ever mod it was I spoke with, was so quick to respond, I later felt like an enormous asshole for even thinking about having an attitude :( everything was fixed so quickly, it was professional :-) I like emoticons too lol! Your cat thing is cute haha! 

7 hours ago, BronxWench said:

. Sweetmamajama jokes with everyone, and some of the things she says might read to someone else as harsh, or rude, whereas anyone who’s taken the time to get to know her a bit knows it’s just teasing and done with no ill intent. (Sorry, sweetmamajama, for using you as the example, and I’m not poking, honest!)

Someone has summoned me!

S fine I get that a lot

:kittenpurr:

I feel a lot of loyalty to this site. Maybe it’s because I’ve been here for 12 years now. Because I know that the staff is fair, capable and helpful, and other sites haven’t really been impressive on that front so far. I found the AO3 terms of service, in regards to original fiction, contradictory and confusing, so though I made an account there, I have no idea if I’m allowed to post anything. I could always just contact them if I had the time, I suppose, but that’s not always realistic with a social anxiety disorder, and I feel like the ToS should be clear about things like that, so I’ve been pretty hesitant even though they seem like an awesome site. 

But really? Fanfiction dot net? I don’t even feel comfortable writing out that link. The fact that you even mentioned it as an alternative to AFF made me shudder lol. That’s just mean and uncalled for. 

I put one of mine on two others (AO3 and FictionPress, if anyone's interested in knowing...).  One from a recommendation for a good amount of traffic and reviews (after all, reviews are great to help improve :) , but, also, it helps to get a wider audience...).  Both sites are a bust in my case.  Very few views and less reviews...  While I might keep the written work up on one, the other, the one with good traffic, I'll probably delete, as that hasn't helped at all.

Trying out other sites hasn't been bad though.  They've shown what a great place this is.  Not to mention how glad I am it was recommended to me.

To be honest, my loyalty lies here.  I post here first and I see views climbing.  I'm quite happy with how that is, I'm happy with fellowship of writers, and with the admins.  There's quite some restrictions on others (CR's example of AO3, to use it) or things are outright confusing, or the set up is...  Mind blowing...   And I mean explosive, nuclear detonation explosive...  The admins here can be approached and talked to, active in the environment (Forums, archive), and are friendly.   Perhaps others on other sites are, but on the ones I've seen, they haven’t been, which only cements my loyalty further.

Okay, so, hopefully I'm not going to have chairs thrown at me...  I know it was supposed to be about other sites...  okay, that yam was uncalled for...  At least throw an orange, I'd eat that.

We’re not in denial about other archives existing. I started on the Pit myself but when I found AFF, I decided I’d found home. DG was awesome, the mods made me feel welcome, and before I knew it, I was volunteering.

AO3’s Terms of Service is deliberately obscure, because they moderate via committee. That translates into nothing much ever getting done, and they are fond of making decisions which directly contradict their own ToS. Point that out, and you might get warned for something. Anything. They’ll invent it on the spot. And then there’s the “choose your preferred format” download button, resulting in a good many works there winding up on Kindle for sale, and not by the original author. (And yes, they do sell fanfiction. They just don’t mention it’s fanfiction, and if it’s AU enough, no one notices. 50 Shades, anyone?)

Tumblr is not a fiction archive as much as it is a haven for malcontents and cyberbullies, and Wattpad gets hacked with dreary regularity. The Pit enforces their ToS with sporadic urgency and periodic purges, mostly when an advertiser gets a complaint about their ad appearing on a smutty site. Fiction Press is just the Pit for original work, and many of the fandom-based sites are gone because it’s not cheap to host an archive. Our small advertising revenue pays for our hosting costs, and every single member of staff is an unpaid volunteer. We do this for love of the words.

But we never ask our members to post here exclusively. We love that people share the words. We just ask that they don’t use stories in our archive as free advertising for other sites.

On 6/4/2017 at 4:27 PM, CloverReef said:

But really? Fanfiction dot net? I don’t even feel comfortable writing out that link. The fact that you even mentioned it as an alternative to AFF made me shudder lol. That’s just mean and uncalled for. 

I used to go there to find bad fics specifically! Why are they all so bad… Jk but the best and only story I was subscribed to there was eventually abandoned and I never found my way back….

On 6/4/2017 at 7:49 PM, BronxWench said:

AO3’s Terms of Service is deliberately obscure, because they moderate via committee. That translates into nothing much ever getting done, and they are fond of making decisions which directly contradict their own ToS. Point that out, and you might get warned for something. Anything. They’ll invent it on the spot. And then there’s the “choose your preferred format” download button, resulting in a good many works there winding up on Kindle for sale, and not by the original author. (And yes, they do sell fanfiction. They just don’t mention it’s fanfiction, and if it’s AU enough, no one notices. 50 Shades, anyone?)

That’s fricken scary… OMG! I don’t wanna be plagiarized!!! The community is friendly, but I don’t even know if they have a forum. I didn’t do research when I started cross posting. I just did it on a whim… This is all a learning experience. And sure, an easy download button makes it simpler for someone to rip you off, but I’m sure if someone is determined enough, they’ll find a way without it too…. But whew! I’m feeling the heeby Jeebies! Super paranoid!!!

2 hours ago, DemonGoddess said:

There is no fail safe to keep someone from taking what is published on the internet, unfortunately.  I wish there WAS.  But having said that, I see no reason AT ALL to enable the theft and make it so much easier.

I'm wondering if there's a way to turn that feature off on the AO3 site... I was thinking the same thing unfortunately. Honestly, I think there are other ways for an online author to profit, I guess as long as there's a way to get your stories removed if they are up for sale and you the author didn't agree, then it's there's a silver lining... 

Please tell me there's a way to get your stuff removed if that ever happens........ 

6 hours ago, mastershakeme said:

I'm wondering if there's a way to turn that feature off on the AO3 site... I was thinking the same thing unfortunately. Honestly, I think there are other ways for an online author to profit, I guess as long as there's a way to get your stories removed if they are up for sale and you the author didn't agree, then it's there's a silver lining... 

Please tell me there's a way to get your stuff removed if that ever happens........ 

If it’s original, you can register the copyright (in the US).  A registered copyright means that if somebody infringed, and you sue them in court, they’re liable for statutory damages (unless you can prove it’s even more) – that’s the $150k/infringement that the RIAA/MPAA like to quote.  But, to sue, you’re talking about getting a real lawyer  (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor do I pretend to be on TV nor did I spend last night at a Holiday Inn Express.)

That’s where the DMCA is suppose to be helpful, stopping the infringement as it’s happening.  Because, technically on the computer level, you can’t truly stop it from happening, not w/o withholding your story from publication.   Of course, sites like AFF and others may take measures to make it more difficult, but you can’t eliminate the risk, because at some point, the reader has to be able to read it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.