Click Here!

Naming places

sweetmamajama

Ok so Ive seen post about naming characters and such, but that's really not what I have a problem with. Like the title says I oftenly find it hard finding names for places and cultures, cities, countries, names of gods and such. I know it depends what type of culture and setting were talking about, for example if I'm doing an ancient China inspired culture I'm not calling a city London or something. I usually gather the names I like and try to kinda spin them or something or I translate words (in google translate if I'm doing a foreign language) like idk “red mountain” or whatever. But I still come up short for many things. Ether the name I really like already exists or it sounds stupid.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Well, I don't have much of a problem naming most places, thanks to the majority of those posted being in contemporary times.  However, that said, for a few (one I don’t have posted and the other being Come Hell or High Water), I understand.

In my case, for those, I fall back to old naming conventions, historical, or myths.  Such as, for example, if I'm writing about a mountain and I describe it as looking red in the sunset, that may give it it's name (to use your example,  Red Mountain), a city on a different planet may take its name from its location (For example, a city on Mars by the Gusev Crater may be named Gusev City, not exactly original, but then how many bloody Victoria cities are in the world?  Or Lincolns?  Berlins?).  There are quite a few examples of a lack of originality when it comes to naming, whether to honour or simply out of euphoria.  So, don't worry about repeating something (in my opinion...  Although the chairs are moving again...) 

Of course, there's always trying to get it to fit.  A throwaway line of Gerganbalia can be fine (although, who was drunk that day?), but it's probably not something one wants to write constantly.  Many old naming conventions weren't exactly the greatest of creations...  Many were simple descriptors (Red Mountain, Devil’s Mouth, Chimney Rock...et cetera...)  So that could be something to think of, too.

Apologies for the ramble...   

TCR

Ramble? You didn't ramble at all tcr wtf are you talking about?!

Yeah I think that the description names are mostly the best naming tool for landmarks, especially if I translate them into a different language – red mountain would be Hong mountain in Chinese for example or crvena (planina) mountain in Serbian. So if I'm writing in English it would seem more special to the reader, you know.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Heck, the name for Portland, Oregon was decided by a coin flip. Boston was a contender because one party was from Boston, MA, the other from Portland, Maine, (naming it after the towns they had left) and they agreed to the coin as a way to resolve their disagreement.

For regular normal places, if I don’t want it named after an existing location, is I’ll take an existing city, tweak it phonetically.  Outside of that, if I’m stuck, I’ll use a random name generator for assistance.

2 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Heck, the name for Portland, Oregon was decided by a coin flip. Boston was a contender because one party was from Boston, MA, the other from Portland, Maine, (naming it after the towns they had left) and they agreed to the coin as a way to resolve their disagreement.

For regular normal places, if I don’t want it named after an existing location, is I’ll take an existing city, tweak it phonetically.  Outside of that, if I’m stuck, I’ll use a random name generator for assistance.

A random name generator? Whats that and where can I find it?

42 minutes ago, sweetmamajama said:

A random name generator? Whats that and where can I find it?

It’s like rolling the dice, picking a name or two out of a hat.  I’ll typically google for one.  “Random name (blah)” where “(blah)” is what I’m looking for, be it a religion, a horse name, etc.   By just having something to look out, it lets my head filter out, modify it, etc, until I do have something that makes sense for what I’m up to.

7 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

It’s like rolling the dice, picking a name or two out of a hat.  I’ll typically google for one.  “Random name (blah)” where “(blah)” is what I’m looking for, be it a religion, a horse name, etc.   By just having something to look out, it lets my head filter out, modify it, etc, until I do have something that makes sense for what I’m up to.

Well that seems great! Ill try that. Tnx Desi!

Random name generators are pretty awesome. Place names have always been a fun thing to do for me, when it comes to my fantasy world planning, but I’ve been working on that world for over a decade, and plenty of the names I thought sounded all cool and shit 15 years ago, I’ve since changed because now they sound pretty ridiculous. But when I changed them, I just removed a few letters or rearranged the letters until they didn’t sound silly anymore. For most of those places, I just smooshed a bunch of sounds together until I liked it. Sometimes I’d use a fantasy name generator and mix and match the sounds. My favourite generator for that job is the rinkworks one. 

And then there’s the description name that you and TCR mentioned. I think taking a description and putting it in a different language, as you explained, is an excellent way to find something that might be unoriginal and make it sound cool for your English audience. Like in one story I had that took place in a central american inspired island. Decided to name it after a marine animal, but used the Spanish name. Isla Raya. 

In a chinese setting, you could also take words or names from other languages of countries that have warred and fought over land with China, such as mongolia, or indigenous groups in the area. I’m not sure what there is in China. Hmong? Or different dialects. 

Or just take a given name or a surname in your mythos or from history and use that! 

Edited by CloverReef

1 hour ago, CloverReef said:

For most of those places, I just smooshed a bunch of sounds together until I liked it.

Like Mister Luflaraoisjd? ;)

1 hour ago, CloverReef said:

I think taking a description and putting it in a different language, as you explained, is an excellent way to find something that might be unoriginal and make it sound cool for your English audience. Like in one story I had that took place in a central american inspired island. Decided to name it after a marine animal, but used the Spanish name. Isla Raya.  

Oh, wholeheartedly agree.  Mont Rouge sounds better that Red Mountain...  Versaute Berg sounds a little better than Kinky Mountain...  Although, I'd love to see the description there ;)

Oh, and CR, thanks...  Now I have the urge to watch Jurassic Park...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, sweetmamajama said:

Ok so Ive seen post about naming characters and such, but that's really not what I have a problem with. Like the title says I oftenly find it hard finding names for places and cultures, cities, countries, names of gods and such. I know it depends what type of culture and setting were talking about, for example if I'm doing an ancient China inspired culture I'm not calling a city London or something. I usually gather the names I like and try to kinda spin them or something or I translate words (in google translate if I'm doing a foreign language) like idk “red mountain” or whatever. But I still come up short for many things. Ether the name I really like already exists or it sounds stupid.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Don’t overthink it. Stick to your lore.

an ancient Chinese inspired culture is one of the easier ones. Since China had an incredible amount of dynasties and cities.

Gods are harder. I’d start top down with a pantheon, then the hierarchy etc. It also depends on what kinda god feel you are going for. Are they like the greeks flawed but bringing order to the universe. Animal headed or more fantasy D&D based.

Naming places are easier than you give credit.

The misty mountains are indeed misty. Clown cave is indeed filled with clowns. Simplicity at times is better than wit.

Definitely, simple and not over thinking is a great way to go. But having fun and getting carried away with words and languages and research is totally legit too, even for something so simple as a name for a little village or a street name. As long as you don't get stressed or discouraged, going simple or going batshit both have their merits. So you just gotta do you. 

6 hours ago, InvidiaRed said:

Don’t overthink it. Stick to your lore.

an ancient Chinese inspired culture is one of the easier ones. Since China had an incredible amount of dynasties and cities.

Gods are harder. I’d start top down with a pantheon, then the hierarchy etc. It also depends on what kinda god feel you are going for. Are they like the greeks flawed but bringing order to the universe. Animal headed or more fantasy D&D based.

Naming places are easier than you give credit.

The misty mountains are indeed misty. Clown cave is indeed filled with clowns. Simplicity at times is better than wit.

I see your point

its easier coming up with a a few random names but if u gotta come up with a bijilion then ur fucked!

45 minutes ago, sweetmamajama said:

I see your point

its easier coming up with a a few random names but if u gotta come up with a bijilion then ur fucked!

That's why I resort to random generators, simply because my mind gets stuck otherwise, and it becomes rather unrealistic if all your characters are named "Bob".

2 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

That's why I resort to random generators, simply because my mind gets stuck otherwise, and it becomes rather unrealistic if all your characters are named "Bob".

"Hi, Bob."

"Hey, Bob?"

"How's it going, Bob?"

"Not bad, Bob.  How's the wife, Bob?"

"Bob's not doing too bad, Bob.  How's the kids?" 

"Oh, sorry, Bob.  I thought you were talking to Bob.  Has anyone noticed the high number of Bob's working here?"

1 hour ago, Desiderius Price said:

Greetings there Bob.  Sincerely, Bob.

39 minutes ago, InvidiaRed said:

But who the is the Bobest?

Who among all of them is truly “the Bob”

Bob Prime

The Apex pinnacle of what it means to be Bob?

There can only be one “true” Bob.

Lord Spongebob praise be upon him!

57 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

Clones, we’re all clones.  So, how do we properly tag a bob/bob pairing?

In a story with everyone with the same name

it would be

Bob Prime/Imposter adjective  Bob

Or

Bob/Other Bob

Or Bob/Bob the 42nd/Bob the third

Edited by InvidiaRed
clarification