Click Here!

Uses for a Pet Demon

CloverReef

I’ll keep this brief because the name says it all. This is for writing purposes, of course. I need a little help while I explore my options. 

If you were a Lord (let’s say… 16th-18th century based fantasy world), what reasons could you have for summoning a demon. The type of demon is not yet specified, so let’s assume that the demon can do pretty much anything for you. May not be a ‘demon’ in the evil sense, may be a genie, god, spirit, imp, etc. 

Options so far:

1. Vengeance/Revenge (Killing someone or someone’s loved ones, humiliating somehow, destroying someone’s reputation, turning enemy into submissive pet)
  2. Love (Making someone fall in love with you, making two other people fall in love, making people in love fall out of love)
  3. Lust (Banging the demon itself)
  4. Painless plastic surgeon! (Make yourself more appealing, change your appearance or species!)
  5. Promotion (You want to be King or want others to love/obey you.)
  6. Magic/Alchemy (immortality, the act of granting wishes)
  7. Healing (Cure for something incurable, stop a plague, cure for mental illness)
  8. Warfare (creating an army, or winning a battle, or summoning some brilliant strategist?)
  9. Avoiding Warfare (squashing rebellion)
  10. Bodyguard
  11. Confidante/Advisor (Provide information, honesty, loyalty, friendship)
  12. Spy (Also could provide information, play mole in enemy forces, seduce or befriend an enemy)
  13. Knowledge (Investment secrets, business superiority)
  14. Keeping society from progressing/molding society into personal utopia. 
  15. Demonic handyman/Maid service
  16. Necromancy

(Thank you for contributing, DirtyAngel, BronxWench, Pippychick, Anesor, and my friends. I removed ‘power’ because it’s vague and could mean all kinds of things.)

Edited by CloverReef
updated list

Hm. Magic/alchemy? Or would that fall under Power? Although the magic and/or alchemy could incorporate immortality without all that bloodsucking. Mostly. :lol:

how about just as a confidant/advisor sort of thing, no sex. You know because you can’t trust people in court. you summon the demon because you need information or advice, then maybe become friends?

Oh, maybe a demon as a spy? Or is that like under Power or Warfare?

oh and under the revenge thing, there is no more fulfilling revenge then to take an enemy who has hurt you and make them your submissive little pet, or so I’ve heard :whistle:

The time period you state could be important: the end of the medieval period and the beginning of the renaissance. A strange time to conjure a demon, when the world is moving away from superstition and towards reason. This puts your Lord at odds with the world around him. Perhaps (since he is a Lord and so would hold land), the demon is summoned to keep the serfs in a state more in tune with the middle ages, and therefore avoid any risk of rebellion, effectively extending the reach of the middle ages in the lands that are under his control. That could result in an interesting juxtaposition with the rest of the world/country outside the longer it goes on.

List’s longer than I expected. I was convinced this was like the hardest question ever, lol. “What the hell is there besides revenge, money, lust and power?!” TY for getting the creative juices flowing, guys. If you think of any more, even if they fall under already listed items but are not mentioned, keep ‘em coming. 

Edited by CloverReef
May have obsessed over anymore vs any more way longer than I should have.

for manual labor around the estate. Europe was still recovering from the plague so there was a manpower shortage, not sure if your world had something like that but it could still be cheaper to have demonic slaves rather than humans, so he could be like a satanic handyman :P with maybe like a tool belt made from a priest’s spine...just saying LOL

Edited by DirtyAngel

6 hours ago, DirtyAngel said:

for manual labor around the estate. Europe was still recovering from the plague so there was a manpower shortage, not sure if your world had something like that but it could still be cheaper to have demonic slaves rather than humans, so he could be like a satanic handyman :P with maybe like a tool belt made from a priest’s spine...just saying LOL

And now I’m having a Rocky Horror moment… “He’s my satanic… mechanic.”  Tim Curry is brilliant. :D

Just plain knowledge: know the cutting edge of inventions and social-political trends. Invest/protect Rothchilds. help templars escape… for a big fee. invest in Jamestown. just plain sponsor the better doctors. just pick anything 20 yrs in future or more if the idea is the problem not the technology. Cowpox anyone?

• 7 months later...

You are forgetting

1. Challenge. A demon is almost always an immortal being. A being with a completely different mindset than any human. Summoning one for the challenge and glory of defeating, understand or otherwise just getting one up over a being like that is an accomplishment in of itself.
Edited by InvidiaRed
clarification