Click Here!

'Change in' or 'of Attitude'

C_Wade

I’m not quite certain what the difference between the phrases ‘a change in attitude’ and ‘a change of attitude’ is. I know both of them exist, however the German translations don’t distinguish very well between them.

Is there a specific distinction between them? And if yes, what is it?

Let’s say we have this very simple (and stupid) example:

“You have changed.” said Frank when he noticed Bob’s change in/of attitude.

Which one would I use and why?

As a native English speaker, I will admit to not always knowing the exact rule, but I do know how to use the language. 

I have always understood “change in attitude” to refer to something which occurs over time, perhaps after learning new facts, or experiencing a situation for oneself leading to a revision of previously held opinions.

A “change of attitude” has always carried a connotation of immediacy, as in a parent telling a child they had best have a change of attitude right this moment, or else there will be consequences.

its a syntax thing:

“in” signifies the “change in attitude” caused an effect. i.e. “His change in attitude pleased his boss.”

“of” signifies something caused the “change of attitude” i.e. “He had a change of attitude after his boss became angry.”

in modern usage the difference between “in” vs “of” have become lost and are usually accepted as interchangeable in casual conversation. 

another use is inclusion vs cause

“He died in grief.” means something other than grief killed him but he was experiencing grief when he died.

“He died of grief.” means his grief killed him.

ok, turning off the evil school Ma’arm :) 

2 hours ago, DirtyAngel said:

yes. and no problem. the teacher in me slipped out :P

No problem here with a little school marm making an appearance.

What you described is similar to something that I had to look up while working email customer service : the difference between "log in" and "login". I found a similarity between those phrases and "make up" -vs.- "makeup". The verb form of the phrases is separate words: log in (or log into) and make up. The supplemental phrases are the other way; login is either noun or adjective and makeup is the same way (makeup meaning cosmetics or makeup case (?)).

IOW you log into your account on the login page and you make up your face by applying blush makeup to it.

“English doesn’t borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.” (Terry Pratchett)