Click Here!

Thoughts on Bob's Burgers

WritingDude

I can't honestly say I'm a fan of the show. I think the animation is bland, the characters are generic and the voice acting is lazy. I also don't think it's funny nor do I think it's that we'll written. Overall, it's just another "adult" cartoon that just doesn't work for me.

• 3 months later...

I didn’t like the show very much the first few times I tried to watch it, but I actually got more into it the more I watched it. The first episode is kind of crappy compared to the later ones. I can’t say that the show is to everyone’s tastes; just like Family Guy, Futurama, and American Dad (to name the big ones) don’t appeal to everybody, but I personally found quite a bit of it funny, and even quote it with my fiance semi-often.

• 2 months later...

I don’t think I really gave Bob’s Burgers a chance. I watched maybe two episodes. I found it pretty bland too and I haaate the animation, which was pretty disappointing because I’m actually a big fan of the voice actors. Loved Benjamin in every other show I’ve heard him in, and Schaal I just wanna do naughty things to… I prefer Family guy, anything by the Archer/sealab people, and any weird shit Tim and Eric do (I’m counting them as cartoon because of the ‘goes to the mayor’ series lol)

1 hour ago, CloverReef said:

I don’t think I really gave Bob’s Burgers a chance. I watched maybe two episodes.

Two episodes ought to be enough. I completely agree that the animation is terrible, and there seems to be a deliberate effort to make every major character as unattractive as possible (a la Clarence). Also, I’m sick of female characters who are obviously voiced by men. Maybe that was funny for the first four or five decades of cartoon history, but it’s definitely a trope that needs to retire.

12 minutes ago, GeorgeGlass said:

Two episodes ought to be enough. I completely agree that the animation is terrible, and there seems to be a deliberate effort to make every major character as unattractive as possible (a la Clarence). Also, I’m sick of female characters who are obviously voiced by men. Maybe that was funny for the first four or five decades of cartoon history, but it’s definitely a trope that needs to retire.

Oh I definitely agree (maybe for different reasons lol). Though I’m fond of the character… What’s her name? Dr. Girlfriend or something? On the Venture Bros. I just find her kinda hot with that deep ass voice. 

I have strong feelings about that kinda thing in general: using trans identities or implied transness as the butt of a joke, though I tend to put my feelings about social issues and human rights aside with cartoons that go out of their way to be offensive towards all groups, marginalized and otherwise, such as Family Guy. But even when I am putting those feelings aside, things like that just seem… I don’t know. Boring? Does Bob’s Burgers have a character like that too?

6 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

Does Bob’s Burgers have a character like that too?

Yes. The mom is voiced by a man.

BTW, I don’t mean to say that it’s always wrong for a female character to be voiced by a man. I can’t imagine that anyone, male or female, could have done a better job than Brad Bird as the voice of Edna Mode in The Incredibles. But Bird didn’t try to make Edna sound like a man – he did her voice in a way that was a perfect fit for the character.

1 minute ago, GeorgeGlass said:

Yes. The mom is voiced by a man.

BTW, I don’t mean to say that it’s always wrong for a female character to be voiced by a man. I can’t imagine that anyone, male or female, could have done a better job than Brad Bird as the voice of Edna Mode in The Incredibles. But Bird didn’t try to make Edna sound like a man – he did her voice in a way that was a perfect fit for the character.

Yeah, I get it. The dude who does the voice of the grandma in squidbillies does it well like that too, by not making it a big joke about a man’s voice on a woman. (My sentence structure ran away on me there, hope it still makes sense lol.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.