Click Here!

TCR's Review Response Thread

Tcr

Yay!  Another review for Charlotte and the crew in Tales of the Starbound Glory, this time from @InBrightestDay.

From InBrightestDay on July 14, 2019

Okay, full disclosure, given some of your other stories and the name of the ship...I actually thought this was going to be about space pirates before I started reading.

You still have your flair for action, and the attack on the French ship is visceral, not to mention that bit where, while disabling Abraham's hands, Charlotte ends up slashing him in a very...personal place.  He had it coming, but holy shit did that make me cringe.

Related to that, when Charlotte throws him out onto the deck, all the other crewmen attack him.  While I'm sure they know he's a perennial screwup, they don't necessarily know what he's done this time, only that their captain saw fit to punish him violently, and that's all they need to know.

I bring this up because while there were female pirates (Anne Bonny being one of the most famous), they were a definite minority, to the point that the ship's contract sometimes outright forbade women from being onboard.  Charlotte's male crew, meanwhile, is fiercely loyal to her, and I'd imagine there's a really interesting story about how she won their respect.

Charlotte felt her heart racing.  She didn't understand.  Not completely.

This actually made me laugh, because that was kind of my reaction.  I mean, Isolde was almost raped, and then was in the mood really fast.  I'm not complaining, mind you, since the sexual content was quite well done and pretty hot.

I did also like that bit where Charlotte attempts to flip across Isolde and ends up missing the bed and falling on the floor.  I think we've all misjudged where the bed ends at some point in our lives, so that made me laugh.

Okay, full disclosure, given some of your other stories and the name of the ship...I actually thought this was going to be about space pirates before I started reading.

Lol.  I certainly thought about making it space pirates, but a certain someone, I thought, would enjoy it as historical pirates.  I certainly did writing it.  :) .

You still have your flair for action, and the attack on the French ship is visceral, not to mention that bit where, while disabling Abraham's hands, Charlotte ends up slashing him in a very...personal place.  He had it coming, but holy shit did that make me cringe.

Related to that, when Charlotte throws him out onto the deck, all the other crewmen attack him.  While I'm sure they know he's a perennial screwup, they don't necessarily know what he's done this time, only that their captain saw fit to punish him violently, and that's all they need to know.

I'm glad my action scenes still have the attention capturing hold.  Lol.  I enjoyed writing it in the quick, rapid pacing with bloody violence, despite the research into cannon fire and the chain shot.  I'm glad it made you cringe, it was definitely meant to.

As for the crew, I definitely wanted to show that most are unconditionally loyal to Charlotte.  Always a few whi would be problems.  This so that eventually i might be able to expland as they come to.

I did also like that bit where Charlotte attempts to flip across Isolde and ends up missing the bed and falling on the floor.  I think we've all misjudged where the bed ends at some point in our lives, so that made me laugh.

Lol.  Yep.  I read somewhere that mistakes work for a first time scene and really felt that it works in terms of Charlotte's character.  Lol.

On 7/15/2019 at 3:16 AM, Tcr said:

Lol.  I certainly thought about making it space pirates, but a certain someone, I thought, would enjoy it as historical pirates.  I certainly did writing it.  :) .

I think I got a little too fixated on the “starbound” part of Starbound Glory. :lol:  It’s pretty cool to see a story about the age of sail, though.

I'm glad my action scenes still have the attention capturing hold.  Lol.  I enjoyed writing it in the quick, rapid pacing with bloody violence, despite the research into cannon fire and the chain shot.

It was really cool seeing the chain shot make an appearance.  I always love seeing the specialized cannon ammunition, and chain shot in particular made a memorable appearance in Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (in the scene where the Black Pearl takes out the Interceptor’s main mast), so it was awesome seeing it here.  And, of course, as Mythbusters showed, hitting a person with it has rather gory results.

I'm glad it made you cringe, it was definitely meant to.

I think there’s some sort of ingrained “Oooooh” reaction whenever something bad happens to someone’s genitalia.  It’s almost a reflex.

As for the crew, I definitely wanted to show that most are unconditionally loyal to Charlotte.  Always a few whi would be problems.  This so that eventually i might be able to expland as they come to.

That is the advantage of a collection of short stories; you don’t have to explain everything at once, and can expand on certain details as you go.

I read somewhere that mistakes work for a first time scene and really felt that it works in terms of Charlotte's character.

It’s actually almost subversive.  Charlotte spends almost the entire rest of the story as a total badass, composed and in control at all times, so seeing her make a bit of a goofy mistake here was pretty funny.  It does also help to humanize her, and of course makes sense in context, since the beds on a ship, even in the captain’s cabin, are inevitably going to be rather small, making it easier for accidents like that to happen.

Edited by InBrightestDay

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.