Click Here!

CloverReef's Review Centre

CloverReef

Reviews for “The Devil Began to Sing”

From MonaMina on October 22, 2017

Wow. That was very original and really good. I loved it. Costa was in his own little world and did not even listen when he said don't. Well that's what he gets then. Maybe if he doesn't go completely batshit crazy from his experience... he will listen when someone says don't:) ❤️

Hi MonaMina! I'm glad you enjoy it. I grew up with tales from the crypt and all those tend to be about people paying for their greed. I really wanted to do something like that so I guess this is my attempt! And yeah, hopefully he's learned his lesson!

• 3 weeks later...

From ANON - none of your business on November 12, 2017

your story is crap and werid and confusing

Hello ‘none of your business’. lol When I saw the email pop up, I legit thought it was one of my friends fucking with me. Not sure what’s going on in your life that you feel the need to be a dick to me, but I hope it helped and someone got something out of it. 

16 hours ago, CloverReef said:

From ANON - none of your business on November 12, 2017

your story is crap and werid and confusing

wow that's some insightful shit right there

Like anyone would take writing critique from someone who cant even spell weird right seriously

Oooh you just got burned son!

16 hours ago, CloverReef said:

Hello ‘none of your business’. lol When I saw the email pop up, I legit thought it was one of my friends fucking with me. Not sure what’s going on in your life that you feel the need to be a dick to me, but I hope it helped and someone got something out of it. 

lol did u think it was me? is it because of the misspelling?! well now I regret that I white knitted ur ass! but I would never let any lil bitch throw shade at ma waifu!

9 minutes ago, sweetmamajama said:

lol did u think it was me? is it because of the misspelling?! well now I regret that I white knitted ur ass! but I would never let any lil bitch throw shade at ma waifu!

lol my first thought was you or Sara. But I thought maybe TCR could have been feeling frisky too. Because I thought only people fucking around start a review by calling it ‘crap’. <3 I wuw u wifey

Reviews like that are singularly unhelpful, and in my opinion, speak more about the reviewer than the story. When I see an inarticulate grumble like that, it makes me want to read the story, since I can be sure it contains words of more than one syllable, interesting characterizations, and some plot rather than the usual run-of-the-mill PWP wankfest. 

2 minutes ago, BronxWench said:

Reviews like that are singularly unhelpful, and in my opinion, speak more about the reviewer than the story. When I see an inarticulate grumble like that, it makes me want to read the story, since I can be sure it contains words of more than one syllable, interesting characterizations, and some plot rather than the usual run-of-the-mill PWP wankfest. 

Yeah, usually bad reviews leave me stinging for a good week. This one, I was upset for an evening, and even then, being overtired and having had a shitty day probably contributed to it. Especially when they sign it “none of your business”, it’s so obviously someone just trying to ruin someone’s day. 

23 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

Yeah, usually bad reviews leave me stinging for a good week. This one, I was upset for an evening, and even then, being overtired and having had a shitty day probably contributed to it. Especially when they sign it “none of your business”, it’s so obviously someone just trying to ruin someone’s day. 

Admittedly, even a critical (honest/balanced) review can leave me stinging a while.  It’s kinda like getting dental work, I know it’s good for me, but it hurts to receive it.   But this one wasn’t even that, so for you Clover … :hug: 

Just now, Desiderius Price said:

Admittedly, even a critical (honest/balanced) review can leave me stinging a while.  It’s kinda like getting dental work, I know it’s good for me, but it hurts to receive it.   But this one wasn’t even that, so for you Clover … :hug: 

LOL I was gonna say the same thing earlier about good critical reviews. But I was scared that would discourge people from reviewing kuz they didn’t wanna hurt me lol. But you put it well. I know they’re good for me and I want them, even if they sting. Seriously though, fuck dental work. 

:hug:

3 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

LOL I was gonna say the same thing earlier about good critical reviews. But I was scared that would discourge people from reviewing kuz they didn’t wanna hurt me lol. But you put it well. I know they’re good for me and I want them, even if they sting. Seriously though, fuck dental work. 

:hug:

I still remember the drill tingling on my nerve, the dentist doing the filing, for the root canal, twenty five years ago, and that was before the drugs wore off; which really made me a miserable teenager.

Just now, Desiderius Price said:

I still remember the drill tingling on my nerve, the dentist doing the filing, for the root canal, twenty five years ago, and that was before the drugs wore off; which really made me a miserable teenager.

uuuugh! Jesus I had a root canal when I was 14… Which was… fuck math. 17 years ago? I remember flesh burning but I didn’t feel the drill at least! So yeah, might be a good analogy for good critical reviews lol. If done right, it’s followed by a little pain and a lot of relief? And if done harshly and with little regard for the patient: drill on nerve!

21 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

uuuugh! Jesus I had a root canal when I was 14… Which was… fuck math. 17 years ago? I remember flesh burning but I didn’t feel the drill at least! So yeah, might be a good analogy for good critical reviews lol. If done right, it’s followed by a little pain and a lot of relief? And if done harshly and with little regard for the patient: drill on nerve!

As I understand it, the new tools make it more painless.  That same tooth, busted it a few years earlier too, so it’s got a “temporary” dental cap on it… and that “temporary” cap has turned thirty, older than a number of my coworkers, makes me feel ancient.

Cold Snap ch 17

From ANON - Ireyon on November 18, 2017

Oh I'm glad I braved AFFs horrible fiction sorting again. Finding this story was so worth it.

I'm still having a little trouble imagining what Nathan looks like though when he#s all batty.

I'm imagining something that looks vaguely like a bat crossed with a black jaguar.

Ireyon, hi! To be honest your vision of him is much prettier than mine is, so totally go with that! That sleek, jaguar-banged-a-bat look was kinda what I wanted, but every time I write it he ends up looking like some fucked-up frankenbat in my head. I was hoping readers would see him as this big winged shadow – which is partly why he only appears when it’s pretty dark – because fucked-up frankenbats might be a bit of a turnoff lol. Well, to most people. Anyway, thank you for the review!

Review for The Devil Began To Sing

From ANON - Ireyon on November 21, 2017

Uhm. I'm not sure if "Yeah, let's kill everyone else on the ship, that'll teach him!" is the comeuppance that guy deserves...

Well hello again, Ireyon! I know, the story’s strange! I was in a pretty strange place when I wrote it, lol, so I was pretty sure most people wouldn’t like it, but to me, it was less about him getting punishment for his sin and more about what his sin creates. His terrible choices unleashed a dark force, and then he was left alone to suffer the aftermath. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review! Thanks <3

Edited by CloverReef

1 hour ago, CloverReef said:

I have changed my pen name to PlagueRat on the archives. So if you saw my story posted there under this new name, don’t worry, it hasn’t been stolen. 

Careful, I might have to avoid you like the plague!  :)    

Well, good luck, hope the change turns out like you want it to be.  

BTW, you might want to list the old pen name for a little while on your profile page, just to alleviate some of the confusion that may result.

2 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

Careful, I might have to avoid you like the plague!  :)    

Well, good luck, hope the change turns out like you want it to be.  

BTW, you might want to list the old pen name for a little while on your profile page, just to alleviate some of the confusion that may result.

Good idea, thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Cold Snap Chapter 21

From XiouSan on December 17, 2017

Hi..

Sorry pls ignore the last review before this one. It was posted mistakenly. 

So in the end Iddy got a threesome partner? That's whole a lot of treat for him. Because he can hardly choose between Nathan and Ben but now he can have both of them. Jackpot for Iddy.

How about Bot and Gary?

Would you write some oneshots, please?

I still can't get enough of Cold Snap. Thank you for writing this twisting love story. It was never boring plot. I still want more.

XiouSan Hi! I almost called you XiaoSan like three times. Just because of a fandom I used to be in lol. Anyway, that was a very sweet review, thank you. I’m so glad you enjoyed the story, and I would certainly like to write some oneshots. Did you mean cold-snap-related, or did you have something else in mind?

I thought about sticking Bot and Gary in with their little happy family in the cabin lol but I figured that might be a little awkward/weird and out of character for them (Gary mostly, Bot might like it). I imagine they’d still be on the streets. Seems a shame, like they should have had a happier ending, huh? 

Edited by CloverReef

• 2 weeks later...

From ANON - Mevumi on December 29, 2017

Thank you for a great story, happy holidays! 

Hi Mevumi! Thank you for taking the time to drop me a line! It’s always encouraging to know some of those dragon prints are actually people reading and (hopefully) enjoying the story. Have a great New Year! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest Cold Snap Review

From ANON - junie on January 20, 2018

Okay this was such a good read! i loved how this was the right amount of gore and sex and some sweet romance lol. i also feel like, this has got to be the first mm (or even any romance fic i guess) relationship thats ever included a black man that didnt feel disgustingly fetishistic?? Like idk if i missed it but until gary called ben a mulatto i didnt realize he was black and i was like wow!!! not everyones white lol. the ending was super sweet to me, and im glad they seem to be in a poly relationship as opposed to iddy being forced to choose between nathan and ben. i also felt really bad for calaca in the end.. like what he did was definitely not excusable by any means but he definitely has some mental health issues to deal with and idk i just wanted to know more about every character in here!! thanks for a great story :-)

Hi Junie! Wow, this seriously made my day, for two reasons. First, of course very little makes writing worth it more than a detailed, supportive review. Second, the race thing is a very big issue in my life right now and I’m so happy that it came across the way it did for you. I like to have diverse representation in the things I watch and read, and yet my writing didn’t reflect that. I have so much to say about this subject – about writing and character diversity – but I don’t want to bore you with an essay. I’ll just say that I’m glad he didn’t seem too fetishized. I tried to avoid some stereotypes and play with others, but most importantly, tried to avoid making his race an issue. Because it shouldn’t be. Except with Gary because Gary’s a bit racist lol. 

As for the poly thing. I was worried people wouldn’t like it. Having to choose is so dramatic and romantic, but I didn’t want Nathan and Iddy or Iddy and Ben to be like normal romances, if you know what I mean. They aren’t normal. I wanted this love story to be about not having to compromise. 

Edited by CloverReef

From ANON - Lurker666 on August 09, 2018

This was great.  You've got great characters and writing style.  Thumbs up and hope to see more in the future!

Thank you so much, Lurker666. I’m glad to know someone’s still enjoying this story. I’ve been working on a bunch of fics, but haven’t completely committed to a single story yet, so hopefully I’ll get something up soon. This review was a much appreciated boost to the morale and motivation, so thanks <3

Review for Cold Snap. **SPOILERS** (Just in case, lol)

From SinfulWolf on August 13, 2018

Want to start this by admitting I’m not into M/M erotica, but this was recommended to me because of the well written polyamorous relationship so I had to check it out. More so when I discovered that it was a horror story/creature feature as much as a romance. So, I won’t really be able to talk about how well the sex scenes worked outside of a mechanical stand point.

This is quite well written. Very well written in fact. I enjoyed this little tale of horror and romance. I love that its darker and not a light hearted jaunty tale of romance amidst a slasher flick. The descriptions detailed enough to let me see the characters and the places, but not so overwrought to weigh down on my imagination. The violence gory and brutal. The dialogue flowed well, and the characters were fascinating. Makes me want to know more of their history. Bot, Gary, and Guillory I absolutely loved.

I do like how you handled the first sex scene between Iddy and Nathan. It was clearly about the lust and the needs of the two individuals, and not instant love. Just the needs of the flesh that they have, and the first sex scene between Iddy and Ben was so adorable. It displayed the awkwardness of these two men who wanted something from each other.

I do have to admit to being somewhat confused by Iddy’s actions though after the creature tries to speak with him. He’s been attacked, and frightened, and when it speaks it’s after stabbing him, yet he tries to reason with it. It’s the only part that feels a little forced, especially considering all the fear and violence that it had visited upon him before this. He even admits to how crazy his actions are in later chapters.

Also, to bring up something very specific... thank you, thank you, thank you, for having someone call out Ben for his bullshit in Chapter 9. He is rather in the wrong from a professional perspective, so it rather irked me to see him calling the captain a bitch. So thank you for having him get called out.

The immediate aftermath of Iddy’s interaction with the beast and leaving the cop shop was well handled as well. It really shows his past and character while showing the growing fear he had inside him.

But, you started to lose me towards the end after the revelation of the beast. The last act I... couldn't see the protagonists as heroes. Perhaps you didn't mean for them to be at all. You spent the first few chapters detailing the horror of the beast and the fear it had over the homeless and later the remainder of the city. But in the end he's the next part of the love triangle. So Guillory's story arc really had me torn, especially with how it ended. It seemed like she was the only one trying to protect anyone outside someone they were in love with. I'm rambling a bit cause I don't wanna spoil stuff, even though I think I partially did. 

And the end with Ben and Nathan, I felt they suddenly connected a little too quickly, especially since they'd barely gotten along before that. I think there should have been a bit more between just those two to foster something of a relationship.

Overall, very very well written, and the sex scenes seemed pretty damn steamy even if they didn't do anything for me personally. Good dialogue, good character development. Everything a good tale needs, and this thrived in it. The only thing that frustrated me was Guillory's arc, and the love blossoming between three people that put a lot more people in danger.

Yer a great writer.

@Sinfulwolf Wow, that’s the mother of all reviews. I’m going to address the critiques first, since like I think most writers, that’s what we tend to internalize most. It’s been over a year since I wrote this, so as much as I want to comment on Iddy’s desire to reason with the beast, I probably shouldn’t. When I go over it again, I’ll keep it in mind. I completely agree that the protagonists are not heroes. Definitely not to the city that was so terrorized. They were in love, but at a high cost to everyone around them. I think Iddy comes less from a place of selfishness and more from a place of thinking he can fix someone who has no intention of being fixed. 

Ben and Nathan did connect too quickly. I think my writing skill failed a little at that last part because they weren’t supposed to connect. Ben was never comfortable with the monster, and Nathan never gave a shit about Ben, but made an effort to connect just to make Iddy happy. That epilogue will definitely need some work in the future. I’ve noticed you’re good at cutting right to the heart of the problem. I like that. Thank you. 

Onto the rest! 

I’m glad the sex scenes actually served some purpose other than just a commercial break style rut. I tend to easily bore of the steamies if they don’t further the plot or character development in some interesting way. Shame; I used to enjoy PWPs lol. So it’s good to know I was somewhat successful. 

It irked me when Ben called Guillory a bitch too. 

Thank you so much for the thorough, helpful review. After a year and dozens of failed attempts at a new story, it’s nice to get some encouraging feedback. <3 It was a nice break from my editing frenzy too. 

Review for Brick and Bone

From SinfulWolf on September 17, 2018

Alrighty. This is good. A good dash of creepy factor as the reader slowly realizes what they're following. Love the build up towards it. Not too much time spent in the hole, just enough to make me realize that it was a looooooonggg ass time. The actual kills were rather interesting too. 

I like that I was able to sympathize a bit with the character. Granted, those he's up against are backstabbers and rapists so... hard not to with a cast like that. Though I am starting to notice a trend with you and cops.

Once again, can't speak much to the sex itself. It was well written, and properly savage for the second part of the story. Fit very well, and flowed into the ending quite well. The ending itself is leaving me a bit curious. It feels very open to do much much more with this little plot.

You'll likely have me reading another M/M story of yers at some point. So until then... keep up the damn good work.

Hello again @Sinfulwolf! It made me laugh when you brought up the trend with cops. I’ve actually done a lot of thinking about this. After Cold Snap I actively tried to avoid cop characters, but none of those fics made it off the cutting room floor. I love cops as a symbolic tool. They’re protectors, heroes, and super sexy in their uniforms. Sure, they’re prone to corruption as any institution is, but since they’ve become the public, street-level face of an unbalanced justice system, they have come to represent power and oppression. I’m a big fan of interesting power dynamics, so cops will probably continue to pop up in my stories, hopefully on various places on the protagonist/antagonist spectrum.

I’m glad the sex didn’t throw you off too much. The flow of it through the last half of the story was really what I was most worried about. Good news is, I do have an F/F story written for Halloween. Can’t promise it’ll be any good, but I actually enjoyed writing it. 

Thank you for the review <3

Edited by CloverReef

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.