Click Here!

Trolls - Advice needed

Well, this is a new one on me. On another site, some time ago I received a troll review which was full of swearing and nastiness. It was deleted and reposted again and again over the course of about an hour. Since the troll review was from a registered user, I took a screenshot from my notification email and reproduced it on my review page so that I could reply, thinking that would be the end of the matter. And it was… for a while.

This morning, I have a new troll, and I find there is a long rambling discussion about me on the comments section of the original troll’s story (I won’t repeat it – it’s pretty nasty), where they are encouraging each other to continue trolling. I’m hesitant about ignoring a public discussion of myself containing harrassment and namecalling, which leaves me with two options. I can either report the abuse right off the bat. Or I can calmly ask them to stop (on the review board where they’re having this public “discussion”), then report if they do not subside. The second option would seem to be preferable, but I don’t want to start some kind of flame war. I was thinking along the lines of:

Please keep your discussion to the merits of this story, instead of using it as a public forum to harass, publically discuss or otherwise intimidate others. As co-creators we should be encouraging each other. Please refrain from namecalling, and from encouraging each other to leave trollish comments on my own work. Your behaviour is a violation of the Terms of Service on this site. Please see the relevant part of the Harassment Policy below:

“G. Harassment

Harassment is any behavior that produces a generally hostile environment for its target. This includes activities such as bullying and hazing by groups of people as well as personal attacks by individuals.

[...]

Harassment is not allowed. Users engaging in this behavior may be warned, suspended, or permanently suspended as described in the general abuse procedure.

[...]

If the original poster repeatedly contacts the subject of the content about the content after being told to stop, harasses the subject, or requests that others harass the subject, the content may be considered part of a general pattern of harassment and be removed.”

With a heavy heart, I have taken screenshots of your discussion here. Please stop this now, and go back to writing. If my stories upset or offend you, then don’t read them. It really is as simple as that. This does not need to escalate any further.

I note that you say you feel ignored by readers, but I assure you we all feel like that from time to time, and you should try to work through that feeling. You have good reviewers here, some of whom I have spoken to before. I am sure that this situation is just as uncomfortable for them to witness. End it here.

Thank you.

So… what do you guys think? I am kind of at a loss… *sighs*

Report and ignore it, that's about the only option that won't drag you down with the trolls.  Plus this documents the issue in case it comes back up.  (Assuming this other sites mods care as much as AFF's do...  Anything to the trolls will just bait them further.  IMO.

I actually have to side with Des on this. Report it, repeatedly if necessary, and if they continue, report the new content. Don’t let up until you get a response from the site. But if you respond on their comments, it will only incite them.

The troll isn’t even registered on AO3, and it certainly feels like they’re just stirring up trouble for enjoyment. I think ignoring them completely is the best course of action, really. The original troll is a college student with more ambition than intelligence, and the grammar skills of a 5th grader, who’s wondering why he doesn’t get adoration for his present-day AUs containing LotR characters who are so out of character as to be unrecognizable. This is our future, may the gods be good and take them quickly.

The best option is absolutely to ignore the trolls as they want a response. What you’ve written above, while sensible and rational, would likely just be viewed as a score and a “We gotta get more of this” attitude leading to further trolling. Basically, everything that’s already been said. I’m late in here!

I, uh, I tend to quote nasty comments against me for the amusement of myself and others but I know that the previously given report/ignore advice is correct.

Thanks, JayDee. I think these are older teenagers of some description, because a lot of their conversation revolves around: “B-but she was Meaaannn to me!1!!!1 All of the fandom is IGNORING me NOW. And now I Don’t Want To Write ANYMORE!!!! Everybody get her!!!!” They’re like little trainee fucking sociopaths…

I haven’t reviewed their stories, btw, I just mentioned in my response to their obscene review (back in October, ffs) that they were jealous and couldn’t spell. Or use grammar. Or be coherent. They’re lucky I didn’t go further. I mean…

Now, have a fucking nice day!

is not going to help them in their upcoming McDonald’s career.

I’ve reported it and left it at that.

Rant away. Honestly, the fanpoodle troll just reveals new levels of ignorance, which will remain uncorrected since I’m not going to dignify their drivel with a response. Suffice to say, they’ve never handled an actual bullwhip.

Trolls are LOOKING for a response. Remember, they got their name, not because they are repulsive bottom feeders (although this in no way prevents this description from being valid) but because they always have a line in the water trying to get a bite. 

The best way to piss off a troll is to ignore it.

Document the abuse but do nothing to the troll or their "conversation".

Let admins deal with the documented abuse. 

2 hours ago, DirtyAngel said:

hunt them down and annihilate them! Burn them so bad their offspring need silvadene1 Crush them and enjoy the screams as their friends and family flee before yo in terror! mwahahaha…

too much? :P 

Haha… I wish. Although I suppose if I could do anything I wanted, I’d deal with them in fiction and set Sauron on them or something. Let him hack a few fingers and toes off… maybe an entire limb or two…. make them like it. :devil:

2 hours ago, darthel0101 said:

Document the abuse but do nothing to the troll or their "conversation".

Let admins deal with the documented abuse. 

On a more serious note, you are dead right and this is great advice. I notice this morning that they are just wading deeper and deeper into their own trouble, completely oblivious that the admins are going to looking up their comments. They don’t need my help at all :)

On another note, to everyone, even if you come across this trolling, please don’t say anything to them. That particular clear violation of the TOS (encouraging others to attack/harass etc) is what I’ve reported them for.

• 2 weeks later...

Trolls are a part of the internet, like zits are a part of life. Just ignore them and don’t respond to them, they can’t hurt you. They do what they do to get a rise out of you nothing more.