Click Here!

Question marks replacing quotation mark in stories.

catsamurai16

Hi!

I’ll quote from our latest site news:

Oddball characters in place of punctuation

This happened as a direct result of there being entirely too many character sets within each table. As I’ve said before, I stopped counting after I hit 12 or so that I found. I found many more after that. What happened, is that when I ran the conversion to utf8, where it was not a normal characters set which the query series expected, it converted the text instead to ANSI (Windows-1252). This is important, to know what it converted to, so you can do the temporary fix while I go through each and every individual chapter throughout the archive.

In your browser, set the text encoding to Windows-1252. This option should be in any browser’s “tools” setting. Except for Edge. I can’t find it in Edge. Urrgh.

Once I have finished the edits to finalize the character set conversion for the affected chapters, this is something you’ll no longer need to do. I will let you know progress on where this is finalized.

This will fix it for you, and make all those symbols disappear, until DemonGoddess061 is done with the conversions. :)

I don’t use Firefox, but in Chrome, I go to the settings dropdown on the menu bar, select “More Tools” and from there, “Encoding.” Firefox shouldn’t be much different, I think.

Edit: Could it be under the View menu? In the dropdown below, it used to say Character encoding, and you could then select the proper encoding.

Edited by BronxWench

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fluxguy23 said:

Anyone know how to correct this in mobile browser like opera?

I am not an Opera expert, but I think you might need to add a Chrome extension to allow for text encoding changes. It used to be in Opera’s View > Text Encoding menu, but that was eliminated some time ago. Opera now uses Chrome extensions for that function.

Hopefully we have actual Opera experts who will chime in as well, if I’m mistaken.

• 6 months later...
Guest Simplycake
On 10/10/2016 at 12:15 PM, catsamurai16 said:

For a while now, I’ve noticed some stories have weird black outlined question marks replacing the quotation marks. Does anyone know what I’m talking about and how to fix it?

I know right I'm trying to fix it

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Hi
I’m trying to read a story on my iPad using chrome, and almost all of the text is just question marks ��

does anyone have any tips ?

In Chrome, there is an extension that will allow you to change encoding to either Windows-1252 or Western, either of which should remove the black diamonds. It is called “Webpage Default Encoding Changer” and replaces the encoding features removed with the Chrome 55+ upgrades.

• 1 year later...

I do believe that you need to open the extension, or enable it, from Chrome’s Settings menu. Go to extensions, click on the encoding changer, and make sure it is set to “On.” It should then be possible to scroll down and look under “Extension Options.” Set the default encoding to Windows (CP-1252). That should do away with all the black diamond characters.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.