Click Here!

Greyhounds as pets...

We've been dog owners for my entire life. All our dogs have been rescued dogs, and we've had a few different breeds, and a mongrel or two. Right now we are three or four years into our first greyhound.

They are excellent dogs. Ex-racers haven't known much comfort/attention/love, so it takes about a year before they start having a personality of their own. They wait in front of doors for you to open them. They walk well on the lead, until their first sight of a domestic cat or squirrel, then they are at great pains to tell you that something else is there! They have no sense, and can't be let off lead unless it's a completely enclosed area. They don't need much exercise. They are extremely lazy. They are independent, but very affectionate. Greyhounds are not "velcro" dogs.

My own greyhound finds it difficult to keep weight on, particularly in the summer (a fight we are having at the moment). But this isn't true of all. I once saw a man outside the vets with a dog, and said to him: "Wow! Your dog looks like a greyhound, but much fatter." Embarrassed, he told me it was a greyhound, and he'd been overfeeding it on sausages. He said he couldn't resist its eyes when it was begging. Greyhounds are sight hounds, and they have big eyes that protrude from their heads. In the periphery of their vision, they can almost see behind them.

Now to the current surprising thing. Greyhounds get corns. I have never had any dog develop corns, but it's a greyhound thing, apparently. She started limping, and I thought she needed her claws cutting. Their claws do tend towards being quite long, including the quick, so that sometimes even the vet misjudges and we get a sudden yelp and blood all over the surgery floor.

So my job this week is to soften the corn on her front foot with the missing toe, and ready it to be hulled out by the vet on friday. Another surprising thing. It will come back. Greyhound corns cannot be cured. Even toe amputation as a last resort will only mean another corn on another pad. We will not defeat this, but we can surely make it comfortable for her to walk.

She will... we've ordered her some bootlet things, designed for greyhound corns, so she'll be able to go out for walks in comfort. Well, I say 'we'.. I have my half to pay for those on friday. Poor week!

I also keep treating her with roast chicken breast. She hardly notices she's not in paradise. :)