Click Here!

Star Rating system for stories

Guest benny_grl

Guest benny_grl

I would really like a rating system inplemented. Dragon prints only keep track of clicks on a story but doesnt really give enough feed back. As anwriter, id like to know how well the reader liked my story, and since bery few actually leave reviews, a rating system would be a better feedback. I realize that sometimes it can be used as a "punishment" if a reader is super negative towards a writer but thats what reporting and things are for. And as a reader, it'd be nice to know whether a story is worth reading by seeing the rating system.

It's my understanding that some form of ratings system is in the works, although it will not be the same as it was in the past, to prevent the abuses we've seen with a truly anonymous system. I don't know the timing, however.

We used to have a rating system! In fact, when I started being active on here again, I was surprised that it was gone. But to be honest, it wasn't very useful. Virtually ALL stories were the highest possible rating, barring a few that had serious grammar/spelling problems or were the target of trolls. I'm not sure it was a great indicator of quality. I would welcome a rebooted version of the rating system, though!

Yeah, I can see how that would be a serious problem. It makes me think of youtube's old, unwieldy star rating system. I vastly prefer their thumbs up/thumbs down system (I saw this on another fiction site recently). I also like Google+'s simple +1 system (+1s are linked to profiles too). I think that one is almost impossible to misuse, and seems very chic.

Whatever you decide, I do agree that reviews are quite few and far between. Sometimes you'll be lucky to snag a few gabby reviewers and sometimes... Not XD An extra parameter would be great for us writers!

Haha, sorry if I'm being too gabby myself... I actually really like this forum, but I don't see many active topics XD

Having been on the receiving end of a negativity troll, I'm rather glad it's gone at the moment. If done well, and everybody's honest with like/dislike, the its good feedback. Otherwise, those trolls are a good way to discourage newer authors who've just started publishing and are a bit unsure of themselves.

Definitely. Fortunately, I haven't met any of these awful people, but I can imagine how discouraging it must be, especially for new writers. I was quite sensitive when I was new. Lost a friend over it XD

Can't wait to see what manta comes up with!

In my case, while I already had a positive vote, then a troll came in. After a chapter post, downvote, and repeat -- several were within a minute of posting, faster than somebody could read it. It gets discouraging to go from 4/5 stars down to 1 star like that, especially when there was no other feedback. I was on the fence for a little bit, there, debating whether to continue. IIRC, BW and a few others talked sense into me (and I think one or two of them went in to upvote, which helps).

That's horrible! I can't imagine someone would actually take time out of their lives to track your progress and harass you like that. I also didn't think you could rate more than once... But hey, I think if any user has trouble with a troll, they should definitely confide in the community like you did. I'm glad you didn't quit!

Could've been coincidence too, but nothing more frustrating than getting persistent downvotes w/o a review, a PM, or something to the reason. But yeah, I'm still around, still writing, still posting, and getting dragon prints, though reviews are few and far between. What has helped is having a person reading the stories before I post, giving feedback. Thank you CL_Mustafic.

Like I said earlier, most ratings that I saw back in the day were the highest possible (it was kinda weird to see one with less than full), so I get the feeling you were targeted by one or two unpleasant individuals. Glad to hear it all worked out. Keep on keeping on, right?

Could've been coincidence too, but nothing more frustrating than getting persistent downvotes w/o a review, a PM, or something to the reason. But yeah, I'm still around, still writing, still posting, and getting dragon prints, though reviews are few and far between. What has helped is having a person reading the stories before I post, giving feedback. Thank you CL_Mustafic.

Wow. Usually, people who do that kind of thing do it because they're fanatics about some fandom in which you have written a story that doesn't jibe with their deeply held view of which character is the perfect romantic partner for which. But you only write original stuff, which trolls generally ignore, so you were seriously unlucky. In any case, glad you're troll-free these days.

Wow. Usually, people who do that kind of thing do it because they're fanatics about some fandom in which you have written a story that doesn't jibe with their deeply held view of which character is the perfect romantic partner for which. But you only write original stuff, which trolls generally ignore, so you were seriously unlucky. In any case, glad you're troll-free these days.

Right? That's what I thought! I don't see a lot of trolls in the originals section! What is there to even troll about? XD

I'll be your troll. YOU SUCK! How's that? :)

Oooh, I love it. Now read my story and tell me exactly WHY and HOW I suck :D

Right? That's what I thought! I don't see a lot of trolls in the originals section! What is there to even troll about? XD

Oooh, I love it. Now read my story and tell me exactly WHY and HOW I suck :D

On that particular story, I slipped slightly, and the [minor1] tag crept in because I had a 13-year-old come into play. (It wasn't planned, I'm sure there's a lot of unplanned things in our stories.) Anyways, that was the best guess the SB consensus could come up with, that the troll had a vengeance against that.

For me, I have unwritten rules I go by when writing. If I realize I'm taking extraordinary lengths to avoid some action as I write, I'll take a time out, pause, and examine it more carefully. I'll either rewrite to remove the situation, or, let it happen. For my 13-year-old, she had to confront an older boy at his most vulnerable moment (ie, in the shower), so I decided to let that build on itself, which is where the [minor1] tag came into the story as it was too late to adjust their ages. Since then, I'll use the minor1 tag as a CYA if there are kids in it, even though their role typically is [nosex].

But yeah, can be trolls in the originals. DA's a polite troll, so she's acceptable :)

I like SR though. and that troll was just nuts, I didn't see anything wrong with the scene, I thought you pulled it off really well, was actually kind of sweet.

That troll was just nuts, some people just get completely unreasonable over the slightest things. He got kind of personal too didn't he? Just don't understand that crap, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Anyway I'm no good at trolling, while I don't mind hurting people I do have to have a reason :P

On that particular story, I slipped slightly, and the [minor1] tag crept in because I had a 13-year-old come into play. (It wasn't planned, I'm sure there's a lot of unplanned things in our stories.) Anyways, that was the best guess the SB consensus could come up with, that the troll had a vengeance against that.

For me, I have unwritten rules I go by when writing. If I realize I'm taking extraordinary lengths to avoid some action as I write, I'll take a time out, pause, and examine it more carefully. I'll either rewrite to remove the situation, or, let it happen. For my 13-year-old, she had to confront an older boy at his most vulnerable moment (ie, in the shower), so I decided to let that build on itself, which is where the [minor1] tag came into the story as it was too late to adjust their ages. Since then, I'll use the minor1 tag as a CYA if there are kids in it, even though their role typically is [nosex].

But yeah, can be trolls in the originals. DA's a polite troll, so she's acceptable :)

Wow, that makes me realize I've been lucky... I kinda play fast and loose with my story and new tags jump in all the time. I even had to put in a warning at the start that the tags will probably change XD Since then, I always try to add the new ones before the chapter goes up, and tell my readers to glance at the revised tags before continuing. Fortunately, I didn't get my head bitten off for it! Sounds like a lot of bad luck, Desiderius! But since you did it for a good story reason, that was being way too harsh XD

Sorry, Melrick, we can stop if you want ^_^;

I like SR though. and that troll was just nuts, I didn't see anything wrong with the scene, I thought you pulled it off really well, was actually kind of sweet.

That troll was just nuts, some people just get completely unreasonable over the slightest things. He got kind of personal too didn't he? Just don't understand that crap, if you don't like it, don't read it.

Anyway I'm no good at trolling, while I don't mind hurting people I do have to have a reason :P

Real trolls are nuts, so w/o further feedback from them, it's impossible to know why. Oh well, I suppose it's an achievement, earning ones first troll?

And apologies there Melrick, I had left the edit open for a bit before posting.

Edited by Desiderius Price

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.