Click Here!

Page Titling

Guest Mary

Quick query for those in charge and apologies if it had been asked before.

Since the improvements to the site went live everytime I have bookmarked a story, for example in the Harry Potter section it comes up with the exact same name (Adult-FanFiction.org : Harry Potter) rather than what previously was the title of the story bookmarked (Story: Full Capabilities). I ask really if this is planned to be changed as I bookmark an awful lot of stories and I'm getting a little frustrated going through them all to find the one I want. I know I could change it myself but I bookmark stories en masse or in a hurry the majority of the time...

Mary xxx

Hi, Mary!

I'm going to quote our admin, DemonGoddess061: " As we're making things more centralized to run GLOBALLY across the domain, the only title you'll see is the subdomain (archive) title."

While we can appreciate your difficulty, we can't take a step backward and restore that old format for tab labels without having to also go back to 23 individual scripts. When something does blow up, it takes a lot longer to fix when each subdomain operates independently for those functions. A global domain function is much more efficient and expedient.

If you're a Windows user like me, opening stories in separate windows would allow you to peek at each window's thumbnail in the task bar. Just a thought, since that would give you the ability to check each window's content quickly. I'm not a Mac user, so I can't speak for how it works on a Mac, but I imagine it wouldn't be hugely different.

What does still show the title in the tabs is the Review Page for the story. If you bookmark the review page, you should see the title in the browser tab like before, and in the bookmark title as well.

Another thought is to use the Recommended Reading and Currently Reading features on your archive profile. I absolutely love Currently Reading, since it is now a live link to both the story and the author profile, and the story moves up to the top of the listing when it updates, making it easy to check even on a longer reading list.

I hope there's a glimmer of help in all that! :)

Thanks for your reply BronxWench - no glimmer of light at all unfortunately. I don't have an 'archive profile' and this really wouldn't help with the 'en masse' and'in a hurry' bookmarking styles I generally have to use. I also use a tablet rather than a laptop or pc so I don't have the luxury of getting a 'peek' at a page. With hundreds of stories bookmarked is getting to be hell finding the one story I want to read again or that I'm part way through and waiting for updates with. There are so many thousands of amazing stories here on the site but it's getting harder and harder to use and to find stories - especially ones which were completed long ago or haven't been updated for a while.

As for this statement:

'What does still show the title in the tabs is the Review Page for the story. If you bookmark the review page, you should see the title in the browser tab like before, and in the bookmark title as well.'

This would be ok-er if there was a note about when the story was lady updated on the page rather than having to go to the author page, stories written page and then archive/area page before going ask the way back to the sorry to try and work out which the last chapter you read was. I can do this in general but I'm following about a hundred stories on here and 300ish on fanfiction.net over a number of topics which leads my brain to getting a little muddled at times.

Thanks for the reply though.

Thanks for your reply BronxWench - no glimmer of light at all unfortunately. I don't have an 'archive profile' and this really wouldn't help with the 'en masse' and'in a hurry' bookmarking styles I generally have to use. I also use a tablet rather than a laptop or pc so I don't have the luxury of getting a 'peek' at a page. With hundreds of stories bookmarked is getting to be hell finding the one story I want to read again or that I'm part way through and waiting for updates with. There are so many thousands of amazing stories here on the site but it's getting harder and harder to use and to find stories - especially ones which were completed long ago or haven't been updated for a while.

As for this statement:

'What does still show the title in the tabs is the Review Page for the story. If you bookmark the review page, you should see the title in the browser tab like before, and in the bookmark title as well.'

This would be ok-er if there was a note about when the story was lady updated on the page rather than having to go to the author page, stories written page and then archive/area page before going ask the way back to the sorry to try and work out which the last chapter you read was. I can do this in general but I'm following about a hundred stories on here and 300ish on fanfiction.net over a number of topics which leads my brain to getting a little muddled at times.

Thanks for the reply though.

Tablets are also rubbish at guessing what they think you wanted to say rather than what was actually typed...

Should be: This would be ok-er if there was a note about when the story was last updated on the page rather than having to go to the author page, stories written page and then archive/area page before going all the way back to the story to try and work out which the last chapter you read was. I can do this in general but I'm following about a hundred stories on here and 300ish on fanfiction.net over a number of topics which leads my brain to getting a little muddled at times.

Actually, the date/time of last update is noted on the "Latest Stories" page as well as the profile/stories written listings, but it wouldn't help even if we were still treating the archive as separate entities instead of a global domain.

I can sympathize with the issues of tablet versus laptop/pc. I love my tablet, but it's not my choice of venue for accessing AFF, nor is my phone. Your reading list is far more extensive than mine as far as stories followed actively. But an archive profile here is free and fairly simple to create, and I honestly love the Currently Reading feature as it stands now. It's very useful, and keeps me from pulling out my hair. :)

Actually, the date/time of last update is noted on the "Latest Stories" page as well as the profile/stories written listings, but it wouldn't help even if we were still treating the archive as separate entities instead of a global domain.

I can sympathize with the issues of tablet versus laptop/pc. I love my tablet, but it's not my choice of venue for accessing AFF, nor is my phone. Your reading list is far more extensive than mine as far as stories followed actively. But an archive profile here is free and fairly simple to create, and I honestly love the Currently Reading feature as it stands now. It's very useful, and keeps me from pulling out my hair. :)

My tablet is portable and does all I need it to so it's pretty much all I use apart from my phone. The latest stories list I do use but it's not truly effective for what I need. My reading list is extensive as people don't write at the same pace I read and my interests vary widely - I also have what seems like a thousand odd bookmarked as ones that are complete to go back to add they were well written and very much enjoyed. Honestly I have no wish to set up an archive due to 1. The numbers of stories I have already bookmarked 2. The number of stories I read 3. The number of stories I have to bookmark-last time I did about 50 in 5 minutes as they were all ones I wanted to read later. It's simply unfeasible whereas using my bookmark tool on my internet page was simple and effective when the title of the page actually showed the name of the story.

Oh well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.