Click Here!

Review replies for Nothing Gold Can Stay by TAFKAB

TAFKAB

Nothing Gold Can Stay is a Legolas/Gimli, Bilbo/Thorin slash AU story based on the premise that Thorin did not throw off the dragon sickness, and survived the Battle of Five Armies:

In the aftermath of the Battle of Five Armies, Thorin is King Under the Mountain, and Bilbo's sacrifice has achieved little. The dwarves of Erebor are wealthy beyond their wildest dreams, but they can't eat gold, and they desperately need food and medicine.

Proud Thranduil, still stung by the escape of Thorin's company and angered out of reason by Thorin's continued refusal to bargain, will not give aid for nothing. If Thorin will not give gems, Thranduil demands a harsh forfeit: that a young dwarf of Durin's line must be given to him as chattel in lieu of the escaped prisoners. The dwarf is to serve Thranduil's household for 77 years in exchange for what the dwarves require to survive.

Gimli son of Glóin volunteers himself for this duty. He is given to Legolas Thranduilion, an arrangement that pleases no one.

As Legolas and Gimli struggle with one another, Sauron rises in the east. He is all too ready take advantage of the prejudices that fester between the free peoples of Middle Earth, and seeks to find and reclaim the One Ring so he may put an end to a the newest unlikely threat to his power: the youthful heir of Elendil.

The story can be found on AFF at http://lotr.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600081662. It should be noted that the version posted here will be more explicit than the one posted to AO3 due to lower efforts to exclude underage readers at the AO3 website.

Pippychick: You are the butter on my bread, sweetie, and I'm so glad we met! It's so very kind of you to post all these lovely reviews. ^_^ I owe you a bunch on The Teacher, and will get to them this weekend!

BronxWench: I don't know how much more there is exactly like chapter 17, but there is some dark Bagginshield coming before the story is over, if that will work for you. :-)

Legolas will eventually get through to Gimli-- though I'm not sure how the other elves are going to take all this dwarf/elf joy, especially not Haldir! Thank you so much for reading and commenting! :D I hope you'll continue to enjoy.

Oh, I still owe you some more reviews for this, especially for chapter 17... that will be a long one.

And yet, you know I now love the real Legolas and Gimli in this story even more than the wraith's version. How did you do that to me? How did you make me love all your UST? I don't know, but I'm glad you did. This story is just delicious... all of it!

OMG Bronxwench and Dafdes and anyone else who liked chapter 17? I just realized a big chunk of it did NOT paste in somehow when I posted! Two pages were MISSING. They were good stuff! If you loved chapter 17? Go read it again. It's better now!

*HEADDESK*

Oh, my goodness, that was completely amazing. I honestly couldn't imagine how the chapter could be better, until I re-read it. It's superb, completely glorious and dark, and thank you!

Pippychick, thanks for your lavish review of the expanded chapter 17! I'm especially flattered by the way you discuss the language I'm using as if it were poetic.... I've never thought of myself as much of a poet. But I could see this so clearly as I wrote it-- it was that night when what my brain was making conjured me out of bed and made me write in spite of having to go to work the next day, and that's always the best stuff, when the "gotta write" is that strong. :-)

I confess to a fondness for the pear juice bit myself-- it seemed so fitting. Pears are so unpredictable-- but when they're perfectly ripe, they just melt, and that melt is balanced on a knife edge between perfection and rottenness/corruption. Just like this Legolas... as Gimli accepts the bite the balance strays.... but still so good that he would lick and suck, desperate for more of it....

*goes off to the land of Rosetti's "Goblin Market" and stays there a while*

I have a feeling Gimli will remember some of this from the vision when things get intimate between him and Legolas.... and perhaps it will make him blush, but I don't think it will put him off. Not after he's ready. ;-D

Bronxwench: Thanks for the latest comment! A *lot* of Gimli's tirade came straight from the heart, believe me. ;-D Luckily, Legolas isn't as inclined to be jealous as Gimli is; he's fairly clueless right now anyway. :-)

You know, the lyricism seems mostly to be a function of trying to match Tolkien's language. I generally don't sound like this... X-D I have a thick Southern accent and use all the awful idioms. LOL!

Edited by TAFKAB

Pippychick: Yeah, Smeagol's here-- sh*t just got real. LOL! Gimli's not faking that dislike at all, no. ;-) He'd love to stuff a handful of mud up Haldir's nose.... he gets to look up Haldir's nose a lot, and that's just not a flattering angle on ANYBODY. X-D

Thank you for the praise on their voices! I hope I can continue to maintain them. I need to study Thorin's from The Hobbit novel, really. I can do Richard Armitage's version, but I'm not sure I want to limit him to that....

Galadriel would force information from Gollum herself, if she had to, and Gandalf knows it. But yes, he'd rather spare her and keep the burden for himself.

Thanks for your comment! :D

Edited by TAFKAB

New comments! Bronxwench: Glad you liked Legolas and Haldir! I've received some feedback saying they're too teengirl, so I'm glad this chapter came across well. And no, Legolas is likely not going to get the answer he'd prefer to hear. ;-)

I always appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Pippychick: You're the butter on my bread, hon. <3 Legolas is so confused, yes.... but it won't be forever. This Legolas usually behaves, even if my others don't. X-D

<3<3<3<3 to you both!

Bronxwench said: Have I said how much I love the way you capture the voices of this Company so well? Gimli has a marvelous dignity, for all that he is seen as a slave to his oath, and Legolas has a gentle courtesy all his own, so unlike the cold nature of his father. Galadriel has all the wisdom of an elf of her stature, and Gandlaf is wise and kind-hearted. Strider is enigmatic, and so much more than he seems, but still so approachable.

But really, it is Gimli's boundless courage, and his honor and quiet dignity that have stolen my heart. He is magnificent, a prince among dwarves, and I hope Legolas will cherish this extraordinary young prince, as he deserves.

Thank you so much! I'm really trying hard to make them sound the way they should. It's especially fun for Gandalf; he's so cranky all the time-- and yet so well-meaning. :-) I'm hoping Strider doesn't slip away too far as I get loads of other characters to handle. :-/

I'm so glad you love this Gimli-- so do I. I hated how the movies abolished his dignity! I'm definitely trying to give it back. You may notice me appropriating and recontextualizing some of the movie scenes and dialog to "fix" how they treated him! >_<

I think Legolas is already starting to recognize some important things about Gimli. :-)

Thank you so much for your comment!

Pippychick said:

Things I love in this chapter:

Unhand my beard! lol.. that is so spot on, and I laugh every time I read it. Also, when Gimli has to name Legolas as a friend.. kind of. And this line is fantastic:

Even should the battle be won, evil will surely retreat and rise again in an age or two. All that was sacrificed is lost, and the fighting must be done over again. Such is always the way of the shadow.

Yes, indeed. It's what I found too, while writing. Mortals never really get this, even when they're told it, even if they're heroes. They will be dead, so it doesn't sink in the same way as it does for the elves in Tolkien's world.

And finally, the competition over saving each others' life. That is so very them. Well done!

and also said

From Legolas' conversation with Galadriel at the beginning, to Gimli's heroics at the end, this chapter is brilliant! Your description of Galadriel raising her arms to the sky is such a beautiful image, but then we've Legolas and Gimli arguing over numbers, then walking hand-in-hand back to camp *loves*... great work! Thank you so much for sharing your vision with us :)

You're too sweet to me, hon! I'm glad you like my attempt to show the elvish perspective-- to them evil is such a horrible nuisance and tragedy; they get a very different perspective, don't they? So horrible to have to fight the same wars over and over and over again, with fading strength and increasing reliance on others....

I'm glad you liked the other chapter, too. I wish I could find someone to draw Galadriel as I see her! And the boys are back to their relationship building.... but Legolas has his head on a little straighter (a little gayer?) at this point. X-D

Thank you again.... you rock. ^_^

Bronxwench said:

This chapter was breathtaking!

I was mesmerized by Galadriel in this chapter, both for her control of her magic and for her insight into Legolas and his heart. She's been Gimli's friend and ally, so I wasn't surprised that she spoke in his favor, but she showed such kindness and mercy, even toward Thranduil. To his credit, I believe Legolas heard her.

But Gimli just broke my heart throughout this chapter. He could not trust the braid Legolas wears for him, nor could he think that Legolas might have wanted to mend things. He fought with such valor and he defended Galadriel, and at such a cost. My heart was in my throat, and I'll confess to an anxious tear at the end.

I'll be waiting on pins and needles for the next chapter.

Aww, thank you! Don't be too anxious. I'll be posting it very soon; Saturday or Sunday. I need to post part 30 next Tuesday. :-) Yes, Gimli is still doubtful of Legolas.... but now that Legolas has a better idea what is going on in his head and why, he'll find it easier to be reliable. He'll be remembering what she said!

Thank you for your comments! :D You're very kind to keep leaving them for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so bad. I'm behind on my review responses and you guys should spank me!

Pippychick said, variously: 1.

From Legolas' conversation with Galadriel at the beginning, to Gimli's heroics at the end, this chapter is brilliant! Your description of Galadriel raising her arms to the sky is such a beautiful image, but then we've Legolas and Gimli arguing over numbers, then walking hand-in-hand back to camp *loves*... great work! Thank you so much for sharing your vision with us :)

AND 2.

Love how Legolas and Gimli are getting closer here. It's so nice when Legolas rubs Gimli's feet. But the juxtaposition of Gimli recalling the wraith's vision, and realising he no longer sees Legolas as cold and haughty (as he did before), in fact that he's most relieved to see Legolas again - that's really well done :)

AND 3.

2016-04-08 id # 3000016878 I love this chapter so much. Galadriels words especially make this special here:

“It happens just as rivers create valleys: a little at a time is worn away through custom and use, through fear and pain and anger, until we hardly notice the channels carved through our souls and folly seems as natural as reason.”

And as well as this we have the preparation of the jewellery, and all the teasing touches of Legolas' ear. So wonderful. I particularly like the matching of the two sentiments here:

Let there be talk/Let them wonder

And if all that wasn't enough, we have the comedy that is the silently waged battle between Gimli and Lindir. This story really has it all.

Beautifully crafted writing. I feel honoured to read. Thank you so much for sharing your vision with us all! :)

AND 4.

I am always amazed at how you manage to include so much in your chapters, while it still reads like a dream. I loved the bathing scene, and that Aragorn doesn't get as detail an explanation of Gimli's tattoos as Legolas, and how this makes Legolas feel, listening in. I love the bits of Aragorn/Arwen. But I adore the piercing scene itself. This line in particular though stands out for me:

“And for decoration as well, because what you have made is beautiful, and as an elf, I am a vain and shallow creature.”

This shows how close Legolas and Gimli have become, that they can share private jokes. It's beautifully done.

And of course, I love that Legolas is eager to show off the piercing straight away. Brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing this story (and of course for letting me play in your world from time to time.) :)

You are so sweet to give me these lovely compliments, and I am just a lout for neglecting them. I can't say how much your friendship is meaning to me these days; it's an oasis of joy in the hell of real life and work!

1. How could Legolas and Gimli be themselves without arguing over numbers? ROFL! Only this time they're arguing over how often they save each other-- and that's likely to continue jovially into the future, until they realize they each always save the other, every day, just by being there. ^_^

2. I couldn't resist having the elf rub the dwarf's feet, no I couldn't. X-D Can you imagine Thranduil's reaction to that? Apoplexy wouldn't begin to cover it. But yes-- Gimli is gladdest to see him of everyone. We couldn't let him get ahead in the count permanently, after all. Reciprocity must be maintained. ;-)

3. Who could understand evil better than someone who has lived as long as Galadriel, and seen so much of it? I think evil creeps on us when we aren't looking..... as for Gimli touching Legolas's ear, I think you've managed to bring that one off better than I did, in your fanfic of it! GUHHHHHH, that's so scorching hot.... Finally, poor Lindir. My headcanon is that he got so tired of coping with dwarves coming to Rivendell it finally drove him to seek the Grey Havens after the Council of Elrond. "I WILL GO SOMEWHERE THEY CANNOT FOLLOW!" So obviously in a few years when Gimli turns up there, Lindir is just going to plotz. X-D

4. I'm so glad you like this chapter; it's a favorite of mine. ^_^ Especially the joke-- it shows that Legolas knows Gimli doesn't really think that way anymore, and Gimli's delighted laughter is acknowledgment that Legolas has learned to laugh at himself, and acknowledge the truth that elves can be too vain and arrogant. I like how it shows the level of accord between them, and I was very proud of it, so it's wonderful you noticed! :D

Thank you so much for your patience with my tardiness in response. :-)

Bronxwench said, variously:

This chapter is a song of grace, a sweet and delicate beginning, and it was just so beautiful to read. The respect that's growing between Gimli and Legolas, the friendship and more, is exactly right, every note perfect. The gentle companionship of Galadriel and Aragorn is just as flawlessly done.

Every chapter draws me deeper into the subtle and lovely relationship you're crafting here, between two such disparate souls who are so much more together than they could be apart. I'm in awe of how superbly you capture their voices, and long after I finish, I find myself smiling as I hear them in my head, and in my heart.

Thank you!

And 2.

I did so love this chapter. Gimli and Legolas are beyond wonderful as they start to explore what they mean to each other. I love that Legolas isn't shying away from showing his favor, and Gimli's sweet and honorable nature is so lovely to see.

I feel all warm and tingly now, and so very happy to see them grow closer.

1. You are so very sweet! :D I've had fun with the companions, especially Galadriel and Aragorn, because I'm trying to change what they do in canon and yet keep them recognizably themselves. It's gratifying to hear that what I'm doing is working so well!

If I can make you smile, that's the greatest compliment I could ask for. ^_^ <3

2. I think Legolas is a little farther on in accepting the relationship than Gimli is at present; however, all Gimli really needs now is confidence.... and Legolas will help him find it. They have a long way to go yet, but yes, they're growing closer, and we can look forward to lots of slow burn in the future. ;-D

THANK you again; you're awesome and I hope to be able to chat with you personally sometime soon, if I can ever catch you active on the forum chat when I peek in. ;-D

• 1 month later...
Guest TAFKAB

I am so terribly tardy at answering these; I deeply apologize! Yet here they are :)

pippychick 2016-04-17 id # 3000016888 I am always amazed at how you manage to include so much in your chapters, while it still reads like a dream. I loved the bathing scene, and that Aragorn doesn't get as detail an explanation of Gimli's tattoos as Legolas, and how this makes Legolas feel, listening in. I love the bits of Aragorn/Arwen. But I adore the piercing scene itself. This line in particular though stands out for me:

“And for decoration as well, because what you have made is beautiful, and as an elf, I am a vain and shallow creature.”

This shows how close Legolas and Gimli have become, that they can share private jokes. It's beautifully done.

And of course, I love that Legolas is eager to show off the piercing straight away. Brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing this story (and of course for letting me play in your world from time to time.) :)

^^^I have often received complaints that I put TOO MUCH detail in, especially given the current state of attention span when it comes to young people and reading profic, so it's a joy to hear that you don't mind it! :D The two are starting to understand each other much better, and to feel fondness and even love... I'm glad the joke worked to show that! ^_^ As for that piercing-- dude, if I had a real dwarf piercing I'd run to show it off too. Thanks for your patience in waiting for my response!!!

BronxWench 2016-04-21 id # 3000016892 And again, Gimli's honor and nobility shine so perfectly. He is truly a prince among dwarves, and more than a fitting match for the prince of the Greenwood. And Legolas flaunts his beautiful gift, which is only fitting.

I will say that the gift of Galadriel's hair is done so well here. Gimli is careful, asking for nothing for himself, but when pressed, he wishes only a remembrance of the Lady who showed him kindness and care. It's the beginnings of a friendship that one hopes will serve them both well in days to come.

I just love this story, beyond words to tell...

^^^ Thank you! :D I love these guys because they're so honest and noble in canon... they're a joy to write with. I'm always a sucker for the paladins rather than the villains; I can't help it.

I'm glad you liked Galadriel's gift, too! I was trying not to stick TOO close to canon while still preserving as much of the flavor as I could. I'm thrilled it worked for you!

I hope you continue to love it despite me being so dilatory in posting and answering comments! I apologize so much... I get overwhelmed easily and I've had a new book come out and SO much writing-- the Thrandolas has eaten my brains, LOL! Thank you as always for your lovely comment. :-D

pippychick 2016-04-21 id # 3000016893 Mmm.. I love the descriptions of Legolas dancing in this chapter, while Gimli watches on. And Aragorn sat beside him, completely clueless - it makes me giggle.

Also, I love Gimli's thoughts about Elrond being long-winded. lol While Galadriel, as ever, knows all. Excellent!

^^^Gimli is just not much of a dancer, LOL. And Aragorn is persistently resisting the clue brick with his name on it. It is not going to hit him until he actually sees them lip-locked, I think. X-D

Galadriel ALWAYS knows.... darned mind-readers. ;-) Poor Elrond, he means so well, but mortals have brief lives and can't survive such length orations as he might like to deliver! ;-D

Thank you for your comment!

pippychick 2016-04-24 id # 3000016896 I love Bilbo, and you write him so well here. The atmosphere changes as soon as he enters the story (in a good way). Nothing's that bad when there's a hobbit involved! :)

^^^ I wish I loved BIlbo as much as I'm supposed to; it would make him easier to write. But he and Thorin are just kicking my butt. I think that's the real reason I'm so stalled-- the plot is one thing, but they are just HARD for me, and I have to do so much of them at the place where I've stalled. 9_9

Thank you sweetie!

BronxWench 2016-04-24 id # 3000016897 Oh, poor Gimli, how hard it has to be to have to speak of being in servitude, but even more so to have Bilbo treat him with disdain. And yet, Gimli takes joy in Legolas' enjoyment of hearing Bilbo speak elvish. He has a generous and loving heart.

I very much enjoyed Aragorn in this chapter, and how well he coerced Bilbo into joining their quest. Bilbo never had a chance against Aragorn's powers of persuasion, and his ability to remind Bilbo of the danger Bilbo himself represents to the Shire. It's quite apparent who Aragorn truly is, when he lets himself be the king he truly is.

A lovely chapter, and I can't wait to see what comes next!

^^^Gimli sincerely feels sorry for Bilbo; he knows something about the events of BotFA and how much Bilbo risked and lost. He has a lot of compassion for the hobbit; he feels he lost his own place in much the same way, though he didn't also lose love. He's a good guy and could be a good friend, if Bilbo were able to open up again.

I'm so glad Aragorn's working for you! He's been fun to play with. In my headcanon, while growing up in Rivendell he's had Elrond and Glorfindel and Erestor and who knows what kind of other tutors setting him lessons in reading history and tactics, governing, etc. etc. etc. trying to groom him for what Elrond foresees he will be.

Sorry you've had such a long wait! I hope the big chunk makes up for it. ^_^ Thanks again for your patience with my slow responses!

Bronxwench said:

Ah, poor Gimli! He is so reluctant to speak of that dreadful vision, having no idea that Legolas suffered as well. And of course, sweet and honest dwarf that he is, Gimli would have to confess his true heart to Legolas, and he fears that as well. What will he do, I wonder, when he finds out Legolas' own truths? It will take such courage for them to take the next step, and allow their love to shine forth.

And of course Glorfindel is glorious, and beautiful in battle.

I love your writing, and how musical it is to read. It just lifts my heart, to hear it in my mind's ear. Thank you, so very much, for another perfect chapter!

And thank you for your lovely feedback! :D Neither Legolas or Gimli are yet fully ready to face up to their truths; they still have a time left to build their courage. ;-)

Glad you liked Glorfindel!

Musicality is something I've been struggling with in my writing-- when I edit my profics, it goes away and I think I lose something very important there. And yet it relies on semantic devices that are generally regarded as poor writing technique....? Frustrating, LOL!

Thank you so much! ^_^

And thank you for your lovely feedback! :D Neither Legolas or Gimli are yet fully ready to face up to their truths; they still have a time left to build their courage. ;-)
Glad you liked Glorfindel!
Musicality is something I've been struggling with in my writing-- when I edit my profics, it goes away and I think I lose something very important there. And yet it relies on semantic devices that are generally regarded as poor writing technique....? Frustrating, LOL!
Thank you so much! ^_^

I struggle with it as well, because all the guides, and blogs, and editors seem to adhere so firmly to rules that strip writing of its voice, I think. I understand wanting to make things flow, and wanting to keep readers engaged, but I'm learning when I need to put my foot down, and insist that my voice remain intact. Otherwise, I'm just a ghostwriter, and someone else can put their name on the cover.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.