Click Here!

Wonky Formatting on New Chapters

Guest Kanemoshi

Guest Kanemoshi

I've been trying to add new chapters to one of my fics for the last hour. I tried .rtf, .txt and even .html files; I even just copy and pasted the text a few times, but each time, I lose word wrap so that as soon as I upload the chapter, it is nearly impossible to read due to the length of some paragraphs and having to continually scroll to the right.

The issue is your use of uploading files instead of direct copy/paste. First of all, the archive does not support actual file upload of .rtf and .html files. Only .txt files. Secondly, in order for a .txt file to retain formatting, you HAVE to know some rudimentary html, as in how to contain the text in a paragraph, or make a line break. when creating a text file, these are not automatically added by the text editor. It may LOOK like it is, but it is not. Those lines between paragraphs in a plain text file are a visual thing only, and don't actually work with the mechanics of things, such as actual html, which is what the rich text editor converts a file TO.

I'd also make sure the document is saved as a .doc file. The extension native to WPS Writer, .wps, is the same as was used by a now-defunct program, Microsoft Works. That defunct program has been an issue for years as far as compatibility with the Rich Text Editor. As DG says, once the archive is up and running again, you should be able to use the Paste from Word option in the RTE to paste in the copied .doc file.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.