Click Here!

Server Upgrade Update

DemonGoddess

Firstly, I'd like to welcome all the new users we're seeing daily! Glad to have you here! Please do familiarize yourself with the Terms of Service and Content Guidelines. This IS a moderated archive.

Server Upgrade Update

There are some issues, which I'm sure you'll have noticed. First of all, when we attempted to upgrade one of the core languages a little bit more (after prepping the site files for it), it made visible some big issues that were already there with upgrading php from 5.1 to 5.3. When we went to 5.4, and then reverted back, the issues that were there stayed there and visible. So,this meant a complete rewrite of the file which shows the chapter data itself. Between Manta2g and myself, that was 30 hours combined, on the 12th. Just to get that part working again. In the process of doing that, there were some things we've not added back yet. This is TEMPORARY.

Will be working on restoring:

• “next” at bottom of chapter

• chapter numbering

• hits (these still show in the story listings in the archive, going to see about it in other places)

• review ability

Understand that with the code stuff, I defer to Manta in this (just as she does with me for the database). I will certainly give it my best effort, but any changes I make will not go live until she's had a chance to go over them. We don't want to break things all over again.

Odd characters, (diamonds instead of apostrophes as an example) are the result of the database having been changed to utf8 encoding when mysql was updated as part of the server upgrade. Utf8 is the default for later versions of mysql. For the moment, in your browser settings, change the encoding of the page to utf8 from whatever your browser has defaulted to. To completely fix this I have to do a couple things. First, anywhere any header commands reference charset, I'll change that for utf8. Secondly, I have to convert the data from what was default before (latin1) TO utf8. As the database is 9.3GB, this is going to be time consuming. Further, I have to be very, very careful in that I don't scramble anything when I do this. I'll be doing the conversion table by table.

Thank you for your continuing patience!

Please remember that the authors you read do like to hear from you! Leave them a review or two, and let them know how they're doing! (yes I know, I'll get this fixed first)

DemonGoddess061

Guest DaFossil

Thanks again for all your hard work, you guys amaze me. Just wondering, besides being patient, is there anything we readers can do to help? It sucks that all the hard stuff is landing on only two people.

Guest pokemonlvr

While you are upgrading, is it possible to put in a searchable tag system?

There are so many stories I'm probably not aware of just because I don't want to scroll through pages of content I have no interest in.

Something like that would increase my enjoyment of the site tenfold at least.

(If this is already in the works, then disregard me)

And needless to say, thanks for your hard work! I was a bit worried when the site went down, and I'm glad it was to make it even better :]

Guest stiankross

Is it possible to make a system like fanfiction.net where you can decide different things to search for, like for instance decide to just show stories over x words?

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I have always wanted here is the ability the search the full text of the stories themselves. On fiction websites that don't have this feature I usually do a site specific search via Google or DuckDuckGo, but with Adult-FanFiction.org this never worked as the only thing that would be searched would be titles & summaries, reviews, and the forum. However I have noticed that since the server upgrade has been going on that situation has been changing. The search engines still can't find everything but I am now getting results that include chapter pages of some of the story text.

When the server upgrade is complete will it make it possible for search engines to search the entire fiction database and will such a full database search be enabled for Adult-FanFiction.org's own internal search feature as well?

We're actually looking in to a full text chapter search, but if it bogs things down too much, that's not likely; as far as internal search engine. Yes, I've added things to the indexes for google and whatnot to allow for chapter text searching. Did that a couple years ago. :)