Click Here!

Server upgrade is complete!

DemonGoddess

Guest HP Reader

Good Morning Again!

This is a response post for DemonGoddess with the links for the stories that I was noticing the loading issues. I never bothered to change the settings for the other issue, I can deal with the little diamonds for awhile. It looks a bit silly but I know it will get fixed in time and I don't mind waiting. RL takes priority and if you all can work as hard as you do on this, the least I can do is be patient while you are doing it.

http://hp.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600096560

This first one showed up in three different places so I just linked the main page, instead of the specific chapters (which all seem to be okay this morning). The first was chapter 23, then it loaded okay about an hour later but when I got to 27 and again with 28 it did the same thing. It's like it just stops in the middle of loading and I tried to refresh the page and it was the same. This morning it seems to be loading okay but I haven't gotten any farther than 31, so who knows.

http://hp.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=12911&chapter=68721

The second was much father back in the story list but the same issue. As of this morning, this specific chapter won't load past the third paragraph but only in IE, it loads okay in Edge and Chrome, just seems kind of slow.

There was a couple of other stories that did it but I can't remember specifically which ones they were, I was doing a bit of flitting around at the time.

Sorry it took me so long to reply.... and I hope this helps.

Thanks again for all the hard work that you do with this archive, it's very much appreciated.

Cheers!

@HP_Reader,

The chapters you mention in the first story, display correctly. The second story also loads, but with the diamonds. As I said, to fix that temporarily, set your browser to utf8. As the database is 9.3GB, the conversion is going to take me some time. So rather than wait, I'd go ahead and set that in your browser. In the meantime, I'll also set the charset where it asks for it in the file itself in header information. That'll help somewhat, but won't correct it entirely.

Rating has not been restored as of yet. Given that people used this as a tool to harass authors who write pairings in some fandoms that they don't like, and downrate it out of spite, I'm pondering never having it return. At least not in its old form of being completely anonymous. I'd like to be able to track that form of trolling, the downrating.

Guest sherlocked17

I loved the ratings.... But maybe it could be like kudo's at AO3? Because people are more inclined to give out kudo's than comments... I receive more ratings than reviews...

Nope, not miffed. I am a terse sort of person when I communicate. Especially when I'm in the middle of things. :) What I would LIKE to see with ratings (and I'll go over this with manta) is that who rated how is not necessarily visible, except to staff. Reason for that being when there are stories with 4 and 5 ratings all of sudden getting downrated to 1 and 2? It's a spite thing. I need to be able to find the ones doing it. This would also require login for rating, and it would no longer be truly anonymous. By doing this, it'll kill instances where this is used to abuse authors for no apparent reason. (The reason is almost ALWAYS a disliked pair)

Guest 24CaratCoal

Honestly, making the rating system something you have to log in to use seems completely fair to me. It's way too easy to abuse otherwise. Grantee I don't think I've ever personally used it, but there definitely are those out there who love to abuse that sort of power when there are absolutely no reprecussions for them.

I do have a question though, have the banner ads always been so wide? The banners themselves only take up somewhere around a third of the screen, but I've noticed that the viable clicking area (not all that good with computers, so I'm honestly not sure what to call that empty space that acts like it's a part of the banner) actually goes across nearly the entire screen. I'm mentioning it because I'm using an old iPad and with the touch screen I'll sometimes be scrolling down the page and then suddenly find myself being shunted to amazon in a new tab. It's very jarring. The same thing happens with the 'report' button on reviews, but that's a problem across the internet as a whole. I figured I should mention it tough, I doubt a normal computer would be phased by it, but when your finger is your curse yeah.

Still, thanks for all your guys' (and more prominently gals') hard work. You've all done a great job on this site.

@24CaratCoal

The banner ads have not changed in size. They're still 468x60. If you meant the area in which they're displayed, I could always reduce the physical size of the table, to make it so it's more mobile/touch screen compatible. The table size has also not changed. You're right, on a desktop, this is not an issue.

@sherlocked17

No, the hits are still accumulating. The DISPLAY of them relies on old code database calls which will kill things, which is why the display of them in new code is not yet restored. You can see them in the general story listings.

Guest Desert Sea

Hey DG - I can't seem to find the cumulative hits (all of the views I have looked at have the same number from over a week ago) - maybe I'm in the wrong spot?

@Desert_Sea, Ack, let me check with DG. I'm not seeing them tick up either, although they are apparently accumulating in the database records themselves.

Our coder was working like mad just to get certain features re-enabled. This one is likely still on her list of things to restore. Be patient with us as we get everything up and rolling again.

Edited by BronxWench