Click Here!

Server upgrade is complete!

DemonGoddess

Hi,

We're aware of that issue, DG is working on it, and it WILL be resolved as soon as possible. (We've been saying this ALL day, I know, but we mean it.)

Guest morningstorm70@yahoo.com

I can't read any stories on my note 4 phone since the upgrade i can open profiles and story listings but none of the stories will show when i open one

@ Guest_morningstorm70:

Look up at the posts above your post. They explain what's been going on all day and night. Honest, we know about the issue, and we're working on it.

I wish you good luck. I just noticed the problem and someone told me about this glorious thread, so.... Yes. It's still happening as of 1/13/16 at 12:08am est if that helps you on the fixing any. I don't know if you're testing new implement or not. It's the best I can do on my end to keep you upto date. Again, good luck with the coding.

Edited by Hopebringer Jem

Guest RavenBlackthorn

The chapter data doesn't fully display, I've noticed. I was able to get a story to open (it came up in a rather odd format). The chapters were listed on the side of the page, next to the text of the story, but it didn't include all the actual chapters of the story, only the first few. Glad to see there is some form of progress being made, fingers crossed that everything returns to normal soon so all the wonderful patrons can get back to reading to their heart's content (and for the slightly selfish reason that I desire to read the updates on my stories, what can I say, I love a good story and have to finish them.)

Well, we always knew the chapter layout would change as the new code was rolled out. There's more tweaking to be done, but as I understand it (and I'm NOT a coder), DG and manta needed to get something written quickly, and I for one am hugely impressed. :D

I don't know if this will help or just add to the list of bugs but when i open a window with a story the title is not displayed. instead i get

" Adult-Fanfiction.org : Harry Potter : Notice :undefined variable: pagetitle in /chroot/home/adultfan/adult-fanfiction.org/html/globals/skins/default/preload.inc.php on line 7" Then the story link and i have tried many of the story links i've saved and they all read as the above.

Guest HP Reader

Good Morning!

It's really hard to tell which bugs you all want to know about or ones that have already been covered or communicated but I thought I would add this in to see if it was of any help. It's getting really hard to keep track of what's already been said in this topic because of how many pages it now covers. So if I'm repeating something or it's a bug you already know about or are already in the process of fixing, I apologise in advance.

The ones I have come across are that every story I have looked at in Harry Potter and in several of the movie lists is that the pages are all centre faced. Another one, and this seems to be random are pages that display covered in little diamond shapes that have question marks in them, appearing at the end of sentences and such. The last, are pages that just end abruptly, without finishing the chapters. I would have assumed that this was a original uploading error or something that got lost in the transfer way back when (I've seen that before), but these are stories that never had issues before. Besides that sometimes if you go back later they will load completely in the place I first saw them but new chapters aren't finishing their loading. I'm unfortunately, pretty computer illiterate and couldn't figure out how to attach a snip the way others are doing.

I'm certainly not complaining, none of these things are any big deal and I'm more than happy to be patient and wait for you all to have the time to do what it is you do, but I wanted to let you know just on the off chance that this is something that you need to know for what you are doing going forward or if they were new issues you didn't know about. Again, if I'm repeating someone else or irritating you with information you already know, I apologise.

But all that being said, you guys who run this site are awesome and I'm sure everyone is grateful for the work that you do, even if we seem to be naggy, impatient pests from time to time. I can't imagine how hard it is to babysit a database of stories this size and you have the gratitude and thanks of this faithful reader. I hope this information is of some kind of help and good luck with your remaining issues!

Hi!

We expect there might be some issues with the language change and how our much older archive code displays. Some of this will no doubt be resolved as DG and manta finish their work, but they do have some other RL things that they need to do, especially since they both spent all day and night yesterday getting this far.

Believe me, we're all just as eager to get things back to a nice, smooth state, and we do appreciate all the kind words! Thank YOU for being awesome readers and authors! :D

Edited by BronxWench

Good Morning!

It's really hard to tell which bugs you all want to know about or ones that have already been covered or communicated but I thought I would add this in to see if it was of any help. It's getting really hard to keep track of what's already been said in this topic because of how many pages it now covers. So if I'm repeating something or it's a bug you already know about or are already in the process of fixing, I apologise in advance.

1. The ones I have come across are that every story I have looked at in Harry Potter and in several of the movie lists is that the pages are all centre faced. Another one, and this seems to be random are pages that display covered in little diamond shapes that have question marks in them, appearing at the end of sentences and such. The last, are pages that just end abruptly, without finishing the chapters. I would have assumed that this was a original uploading error or something that got lost in the transfer way back when (I've seen that before), but these are stories that never had issues before. Besides that sometimes if you go back later they will load completely in the place I first saw them but new chapters aren't finishing their loading. I'm unfortunately, pretty computer illiterate and couldn't figure out how to attach a snip the way others are doing.

2. I'm certainly not complaining, none of these things are any big deal and I'm more than happy to be patient and wait for you all to have the time to do what it is you do, but I wanted to let you know just on the off chance that this is something that you need to know for what you are doing going forward or if they were new issues you didn't know about. Again, if I'm repeating someone else or irritating you with information you already know, I apologise.

But all that being said, you guys who run this site are awesome and I'm sure everyone is grateful for the work that you do, even if we seem to be naggy, impatient pests from time to time. I can't imagine how hard it is to babysit a database of stories this size and you have the gratitude and thanks of this faithful reader. I hope this information is of some kind of help and good luck with your remaining issues!

Hi there,

I put numbers next to your concerns, so I can address them.

1. The odd characters are from the database language upgrade, which means that the database is now utf-8 for charset. This means I have to convert each and every table from latin1_swedish (the old charset from earlier versions of mysql) to utf-8. In the meantime, you can easily fix this by selecting the character set within your browser. Set it to utf8 and the odd images will disappear.

2. Give me links to some of the truncated ones, and I'll have a quick look. Chances are, that this is also related to the charset change, which is easily fixed with the rich text editor.

These are actually things we DO need to know, as you've detailed it, so I know what it is that's happening. That's very helpful :D

Guest Dreamweaver

Hey Just thought I'd say that the new format isn't all that bad for the computer version as long as we get a next/previous biutton added at the bottom of the page. I realize you are still working out bugs in the sytem I just wanted to throw in my opinion.

Guest Rigger42

Is it possible to pin one post that covers what has been reported and then you can mark them off when they are done?

Right now the problem I'm seeing is there is no 'next page' or dropdown for pages at the bottom of each page, so a reader has to scroll back up to the menu on the left.

Personally, I really like the dropdown for chapters rather than taking up the left margin rather than scrolling up and down to the next selection.

Will there be any kind of alert system added, for when stories are updated? I have to admit, story tracking is the biggest speedbump in the interface.

Guest mollyrose

Right now the problem I'm seeing is there is no 'next page' or dropdown for pages at the bottom of each page, so a reader has to scroll back up to the menu on the left.

Personally, I really like the dropdown for chapters rather than taking up the left margin rather than scrolling up and down to the next selection.

This is my main concern as well. You guys have obviously been doing a lot of work, though, and I understand real life concerns must take precedence.

Guest AnneMarie

Found a problem!!!

I went to read some work by a favorite writer, Ms_Figg and there's errors.

She does mostly Severus snape fics, and in light of Alan Rickman passing away I wanted to reread them all.

All of the stories on her page (over 125 fics) the quotations and apostrophes are showing up as little boxes with question marks in them. They've never been like that, and I've been reading her work for well over five years, and she hasn't updated anything in over a year, so I know it wasn't an error by her.

It makes reading them quite confusing and I'd love for it to be fixed!

I'll quote DG from earlier in this topic:

"The odd characters are from the database language upgrade, which means that the database is now utf-8 for charset. This means I have to convert each and every table from latin1_swedish (the old charset from earlier versions of mysql) to utf-8. In the meantime, you can easily fix this by selecting the character set within your browser. Set it to utf8 and the odd images will disappear."

Guest 24CaratCoal

Oh my.

DG, truly you have the patience of a saint to be able to deal with all these little bugs that keep creeping in. To you I gift my full moral support and a thousand whuffies for your efforts. We're rooting for you.

Guest 24CaratCoal

And moral support and a thousand whuffie to manta as well. Sorry I missed you in the last post, I'm not much of a forum lurker and just learned of you. Mea culpa.