Click Here!

Friday Night Fanfiction

GeorgeGlass

Are any of you familiar with a podcast series called Friday Night Fanfiction? Basically, they find bad fanfic and read it aloud as a sort of drinking game. Anyone who trips on a word, laughs, or otherwise interrupts their reading has to drink.

So imagine my surprise to hear total strangers reading my story “Rated F: A Phineas and Ferb Sex Comedy” aloud! They did a lot of goofily inappropriate voices and accents and such (although I liked hearing Buford’s lines in the voice of Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force), but I actually found a lot of it really funny. And it was gratifying that even though they all had a problem with the notion of an explicit sex story about preteen cartoon characters--which was the reason they chose it to read on the show--a lot of them liked the story anyway. (As one of them said, “I want to stay mad at this, but I just can’t.”)

Ultimately, I think my reaction to their reading was the same as their reaction to my story: I kept thinking that I should be offended by it, but it was so funny that I didn’t care. In fact, I felt kind of flattered by it, kind of the way some musicians do when they find out that Weird Al Yankovic has parodied one of their songs.

And what was especially flattering is that they picked one of my stories instead of something from JayDee. :)

Awesome!

I'm not familiar with the podcast, but that is actually very cool to have been picked.

We'll just have to hope they find a JayDee fic to read soon. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think any time people have fun with fanfic is a good thing! I loved the heck out of the old Topless Robot fanfiction Friday reviews, and some of the old Godawful Fan Fiction reviewers - this sort of thing too! Where it's less good is where you get someone who isn't all that funny who, say, quotes an entire story and doesn't have much to say about it beyond "Gosh, I don't like this, they should stop writing!"

Glad you got a kick out of the podcast!

And what was especially flattering is that they picked one of my stories instead of something from JayDee. :)

Well, Bad Fanfiction Theatre already did me - :D
http://badfanfictheater.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/spyro-legend-of-spyros-death.html

(The story that got the "This actually made me ill..." review)

Edited by JayDee

well it had an impact at least

Exactly. Like the saying goes, "It doesn't matter what they're saying as long as they're talking about you." :)

Seriously though, provoking a visceral response--and the fact that the person kept reading up to and even beyond that point--is the mark of a good writer, IMO.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.