Click Here!

Character Voice - Or is my character suffering from DID

I have a character that refuses to pick a personality. At times he's strong and independant, flirty and flighty, or wishy washy and weak and there are even times (like in the same paragraph) that he'll be all three. I have no idea how to develop him and he's giving me a headache every time I sit down to write his parts of the story. I'm seriously thinking he may suffer from DID.

So any ideas on how to fix him or should I just let him be a little crazy and see if there's a reason he's how he is?

It's been my experience that a character like this usually has something I haven't found out yet that will explain his crazy. By a certain point, the characters are pretty much dictating the story to me anyway.

The problem, though, is that if you don't come up with a compelling reason for the character's personality being all over the shop, it would seriously hurt the story. Personally, I really don't like reading character's that don't seem to know who or what they are, unless there's a good reason for it, and then I'd expect there to be some kind of resolution in the end.

The problem, though, is that if you don't come up with a compelling reason for the character's personality being all over the shop, it would seriously hurt the story. Personally, I really don't like reading character's that don't seem to know who or what they are, unless there's a good reason for it, and then I'd expect there to be some kind of resolution in the end.

This is my problem exactly. He was a bit player in another story and he had a definite personality. Now to be fair he's had a recent upheaval in his life but still I don't think that that is the cause of his current bout of craziness. It's like he doesn't want me to pin him down to any one strong characteristic.

I can just see him now, one hand on his cocked hip doing the stereotypical hand swish with the other, "Nuh uh girl, not gonna happen in this lifetime." of course add in the comical german accent from the three little pigs in shrek and you got my guy in a nutshell.

I may have him have a scuba diving accident or something...

http://www.apa.org/topics/personality/disorders-causes.aspx

Sounds a bit like a personality disorder so I put this here for your reading pleasure. All you need is a reason and your characters can be as batshit as you want them to be :D

I've had characters pull the stunt you describe a couple of times. I created a personality questionnaire to help settle the neurosis. I find that my characters only go crazy when I lost sight of who they are. I posted the character cribs that include personality traits which are pretty much psychology builds. Both cribs have their own strengths and weaknesses, but the second one on the list is the one that should help you uncover the main reason the character has "lost it" and is going all over the place. I know that these are long, and very in depth, but they truly do help fix an all over the place character if you look them over and consider the implications.

http://www2.adult-fanfiction.org/forum/index.php/topic/47721-character-development-sheets-to-beat-suestu-problems/

I've had characters pull the stunt you describe a couple of times. I created a personality questionnaire to help settle the neurosis. I find that my characters only go crazy when I lost sight of who they are. I posted the character cribs that include personality traits which are pretty much psychology builds. Both cribs have their own strengths and weaknesses, but the second one on the list is the one that should help you uncover the main reason the character has "lost it" and is going all over the place. I know that these are long, and very in depth, but they truly do help fix an all over the place character if you look them over and consider the implications.

http://www2.adult-fanfiction.org/forum/index.php/topic/47721-character-development-sheets-to-beat-suestu-problems/

Wow, just checked those sheets out and am definitely going to use them, thanks!

I think I figured out my character's problem but in doing that I discovered he's got some type of OCD but not like the kind where you have to flip a switch a certain number of times, more like an organizational thing. Right now he's currently rearranging his pizza toppings so that he can have the same experience with each bite... I think he may still be crazy though. :P

Wow, just checked those sheets out and am definitely going to use them, thanks!

I think I figured out my character's problem but in doing that I discovered he's got some type of OCD but not like the kind where you have to flip a switch a certain number of times, more like an organizational thing. Right now he's currently rearranging his pizza toppings so that he can have the same experience with each bite... I think he may still be crazy though. :P

OOOhhhhhhh you can so do a One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest sort of thing :P

• 3 years later...