Click Here!

NaNoWriMo 2015, or How My Novel Ate My Brain

BronxWench

So, there are more than a couple of us embarking on the insanity known as National Novel Writers Month, or NaNo to those of us who have been assimilated.

One such dedicated novelist (aka our own CL Mustafic) mentioned that it might be fun to have a thread to share our progress, and possibly find kindred souls, and I think that's an awesome idea! So, here's what we propose:

Leave a post on this thread with your NaNo pen name, your novel's title, and current word count, and from time to time, stop back, edit the post to update your count, and maybe leave a comment. How does that sound? And if we really want to get chatty, we can start a side thread for NaNo rants and therapy. :lol:

I'll go first...

NaNo Pen Name: MorwenNavarre (And I love buddies, so feel free to buddy me and I'll buddy you back!)

Novel Title: Sins of the Father (for now)

Word count: 50,378/50,000 on Day 25

Validaed, even though I'm still writing....

Edited by BronxWench

Nano Pen Name: CL Mustafic (original I know) Ready and willing to buddy anyone that's interested. :D

Novel Title: Calling the Ball

Word Count: 47,921, 12th day I had a good day today, pounded out over 6k words, only 2100 to go!

This is a great idea BronxWench! ;)

Edited by CL Mustafic

Foeofthelance

Legacy of the Vakyr

7,930/40,000 words

The pine's crown swung wide...just as the beast was attempting to pass through the same space. That, by itself, was not enough to check the monster's charge, but it did set in motion the chain of events that would save Dipp's life. The beast let out a wailing shriek as the sharp branches slashed across her face, narrowly missing gouging out her eye by only the slimmest of margin. She yanked her head back instinctively, but that meant she was no longer watching where she was going. Her claw caught against a grown out root, pulling her leg out from under her mid-stride. The beast went down, head first, and collided with the base of an ancient oak. The oak in question had stood for more than two hundred years, and it would have taken five grown men with their arms stretched wide to circle its base. Nothing short of the end of the world could possibly have moved it from its position, a requirement the beast simply didn't fulfill. It did, however, manage to dislodge a somewhat storm damaged branch that had long since dried out and died. The branch, thick as a man's waist, fell straight down upon the poor beast's head, adding both insult and injury at the same time.

Nano Pen Name: ChrissyQuinn (I'm just as bad as CL)

Novel Title: Heart of the Forest

Word Count: (from Nov. 1st) 30, 229

Edited by ChrissyQuinn

Pen Name: Magusfang

Title: Children Of The Night Mother or Child Of The Night Mother. Haven't decided yet.

Word count: 12,271 I changed stories mid stream :P

Excerpt:

Child Of The Night Mother

Chapter 1: Reborn

Gayle stared at the iron clad men, their faces twisted so in rage and fear that they only vaguely resembled humans as they crowded around her and her companions, men and women who she knew intimately but also never met in her relatively short life. She could hear the din of battle, steel and iron ringing out so loudly it almost drown out the screams of agony from the dying and wounded; she could smell the blood and feces in the air and knew it was the perfume the Angel of Death preferred.

It took Gayle only a moment to realized the tall strong body she seemed to inhabit wasn't hers, the powerful hands that held both her horse's reigns and the wicked looking sword were definitely not hers. Gayle also quickly realized that even though she saw from the eyes of some great and fearsome warrior of an age long past; she was just a passenger, having no control over the body she now inhabited. She watched helplessly as the powerful man spurred the great horse beneath him and fear crept into her breast as the creature leapt forward and she could feel the unbridled power of the massive steed, its screams of rage echoing it's master's as they joined battle together.

Gayle watched in horror as the heavily muscled arm that held the sword swung back and forth, mowing men down like a farmer harvesting wheat; but the chaff of the carnage was the hot salty blood that splashed her, leaving a coppery taste in her mouth and the flat smell of wet iron clinging to her nostrils. Had she any control of the massive man she haunted from inside, she would have retched and most likely fallen from the sure footed beast that ran down nearly as many men as it's master struck down with the blood slimed blade in his hand. Gayle didn't need to turn and look behind the to know the path of carnage they left in their wake was truly something more suited to hell!

Gayle suddenly felt an agonizing sharp pain between her shoulder blades, a pain that quickly turned to a fiery burning unlike anything she had ever experienced; a pain so all encompasing that her hands went numb and she lost both sword and reigns as she slowly slid from the iron and leather saddled, the ground quickly rushing up to meet her.

But before she could impact the blood soaked earth, her eyes flew open and she gasped loudly, sure she still felt the agonozing burning of whatever had mortally pierced her body. She stiffened as the pain left her, slowly fading like the after glow in one's eyes after staring at the sun for too long; once she could concentrate on what her body was really feeling, she realized she wasn't wearing armor and was, in fact, a cool soft night gown; it wasn't some war charger she lay on, or even the wet slimy earth, but a soft bed with soft warm sheet covering her small body. But there was one other sensation that quickly garnered her attention, a large muscular arms holding her gently and she instinctively knew that the large gentle hand draped over her small breast was indeed the same strong hand she saw in her dream, the same hand that was holding a blood drenched sword as it's owner ended life after life.

Edited by magusfang

• 2 weeks later...

So this thread is pretty dead. Not sure if everyone sort of gave up or not but just wanted to pop in and say, I'm about 2100 words away from 50k so WOOT!

Hope everyone that's still working on their NaNo project is doing well.

That's awesome CL! *hides her word count* I'm glad you're almost done :D

You'd be almost done if your NaNo was your elveseseses

lol, okay Gollum :P <3.

25,706 words! I'm halfway there! :D

Congrats! See I told you I knew you could do it! Only halfway to go and you still have more than half the month left, easy peasy.

Congrats! See I told you I knew you could do it! Only halfway to go and you still have more than half the month left, easy peasy.

So, can I get a night with Yorwrath as a reward? :lol:

Ohhhhh, wish you would have said something earlier....the pixie army just ate him....i think we have part of a leg left over here some where...FIDO, PUT THAT DOWN!

HEY! No eating the Dragon Wench's pretty psychopath! Do you know how much necromancy takes out of me? Now I'll have to go and devour a few more villagers, and they go RIGHT TO MY HIPS!

::unfurls wings and takes off, still grumbling::

I need to start lurking in the threads more often...

NaNo Pen Name: J Linz

Title: It was Black Mamba but I can't get it started right so I'm switching over to my favorite genre: Anticipation

Word Count: Too embarrassing to mention... so once I hit over a thousand, then I'll update this! :P

Currently on chapter 6, at about 22,800 words my self.

The tyrannosaur stared at him for several minutes then snorted. She shook her head, ruffling the bright red feathers running down her neck, and for a moment Dipp thought that was her way of saying no.

Then she began to change. Dipp watched, rapt with fascination. Part of his education had included the various creation myths of the world’s major religions. There was one particular brand of Cavecy that held that the world had all been shaped by clay, molded under the hands of the Gods, and then had life breathed into it once all the work had been done. As Dipp watched the tyrannosaur transform, it was easy to see how they had managed to reach that conclusion. It was difficult to see what occurred first as her body began to deflate and shrink, collapsing in on itself as it simultaneously stretched and flowed outwards. The dinosaur’s feathers melted into her skin while the colors shifted to a more golden brown. Her arms stretched out as her legs shrank, popped, and twisted to face the other way.

The entire process took only a few seconds, and left behind a young woman who appeared to be several years older than Dipp or Shoal, but perhaps a little younger than Toriphe. She held her hand up to the sky and studied her fingers for several moments before looking down and cupping her breasts in both hands. “Huh. I've got tits now.”