Click Here!

Question about legal stuff

Wolfie

Myself and my husband have decided to rent to own a property. The lady who is a family friend, moved to another state and rented out her trailer. She has decided to sell it which is a plus for me and my husband.

The current occupants of said location signed a lease with the lady.

In the time they have been there, they haven't paid her a full months rent, and have broken the lease aggreement numerous times. Most current is the dog situation when the lease plainly states no dogs but yet they have five.

She has given them a verbal statement saying they have until the 20th no later than the 25th to get out. She has also sent a certified letter in the mail.

My question is this..

Seeing she has given the verbal and sent the certified letter of eviction out with the dates. Can these renters still continue to live there if they refuse the certified letter? If they lie and say it wasn't delivered?

I know you can refuse to sign for a certified letter. The touchy thing with this is that they have children also.

Also the trailer was fully furnished with furniture, beds, the whole nine yards. Can they be sued if they remove those things from the home? Even if they said they purchased them?

I always wondered how that worked. If you throw away the original furnishings, being beds, couches or whatever, do you have to leave the furnitue you purchased in the place?

I can't say much about the furnishings and stuff, but I'm pretty sure a verbal notice to get out should hold. Proving it might be a bit tricky though. When she sent the letter, did she make a copy for herself with the date she wrote it? Also, was the date she gave them more or less than 30 days? Once given formal notice of eviction tennants have 30 days regardless of when the prpoerty owner wants them out. But if they haven't paid rent and have broken the lease she certainly has cause to evict them.

Pretty much what Greenwizard said, with a few bit extras:

As long as your friend has some form of proof that she issued the warning, it's been issued, even if they refused to sign for the letter. The person who (attempted to) delivered it should have some form of record that says whether or not it was delivered or refused.

As for the furnishings, they can be sued if they try to remove it, immediately for return or for compensation if they have already disposed of it. Again, it would help if your friend had proof of ownership, such as reciepts or a statement in the lease securing the trailer's contents upon eviction. As for any furniture they may have purchased and installed themselves, that they are allowed to take. As for replacing anything they might have thrown out, I have no clue.

Thanks for the information

The husband who lives on the property went postal and basically told everyone "he wasn't effing moving".

Now they have no choice.

The wife on the property found the lease agreement. After reading it yet again, she found the notation that the property was up for sale and if Cindy ( the landlord) found a buyer, they had to be out by the date she set forth.

The way that Florida laws have been rewritten, seeing they were paying monthly rent ( when they would pay it) Cindy only had to give them 15 days to vacate. She gave them more than that and to avoid all the hassles of dealing with the law from another state, she isn't suing them for back rent. She just wants them out.

The wife talked to Cindy yesterday and assured they would be out by the 20th so that the buyers ( us) could be in by that weekend.

I guess it is a good thing that we are paid up till the first here. With all the bombing for bugs ( fleas to be exact) and the cleaners going in. We are going to need till the first, just to get the area relivable again.

Time will tell if they are telling the truth.

I also checked into the fully furnished laws down here. If the location was fully furnished with beds, washer and dryer, and furniture when occupants move in, even if they purchased new to bring in, to replace the other stuff, they have to leave it when they vacate the location. If they replace the older stuff that was there, if it was in the contract, they have to leave it fully furnished. And yes, Cindy does have a list of everything that was furnished in the location when she rented it out. So yeah, we don't have to purchase our furnature.

Sorry for miss spelled words, not fully awake yet.

Hahaha, not a problem. I admit most of my legal aidness was cribbed from Judge Judy episodes, but from the sounds of things you guys pretty much have everything in hand. The most important part is to make sure all the paperwork backs up your story, and if that's what the lease says, its not even a case.

• 4 weeks later...