Click Here!

What Are You Reading?

cu-kid9

One of my all-time favorites!! Such a good book (especially once you get through that whole middle section). I've read it three or four times. People always give me a funny look when I say it's the best book written about getting revenge, but it really is.

:lol:

I think it was leftovers from an old roommate - he was one of those people who just threw books away (sacrilege!). I just can't bring myself to even think about reading it, though...

Lol I'm the same way; I refuse to throw books away. I'd probably free up tons of space by donating some books to a charity shop but I never know if I'll suddenly get the urge to pick one up to read it again.

I feel like I read slowly when it's something I'm reading for enjoyment or it's one of those books that has so much detail that I'm afraid if I skip something, I'll miss an entire plot element.

I have the same fear; I'd skim huge portions of boring books during English classes in college and later suffer for it when it came to the exams, but I try not to let my eyes dart ahead no matter how eager I am to find out what's going on.

Did you borrow the Follett book because you wanted to read it? My mother has a tendency to just give me books that she thinks I'll enjoy - which I sometimes do - that's how I ended up reading Abundance and Special Topics in Calamity Physics. She gave me another one called A Thin Place, which I just couldn't get into. It had a sort of Tom Robbins/Skinny Legs and All element to it, where the inanimate objects started thinking/talking...but it wasn't done nearly as well as Robbins, I don't think.

I think I wanted to read it... it's been months since she gave it to me and now I've forgotten what drew me to it in the first place. Some things I borrow from friends and family and later think 'what the hell did I want to read that for!?', but most of the time I do genuinely want to read them just to find out why they were written in the first place. I'm also borrowing my boyfriend's copy of In Search of Schrodinger's Cat. I'm no physicist, I know absolutely nothing about physics, but the blurb makes it sound so good that I'm itching to see what all the fuss is about. I bought a copy of Godel, Escher and Bach; an Eternal Golden Brain by Douglas Hofstadter for the same reason. But it's such a dense book full of the most perplexing maths that I can't seem to read it for more than about half an hour. It needs its own dummy's guide.

• 4 weeks later...

The books that I am reading at this time are as follows:

The career novelist by Donald Maass

The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman

The Author's Toolkit by Mary Embree

The 38 most common fiction writing mistakes by Jack M. Bickham

Manuscript submission by Scott Edelstein

The ABC's of writing fiction by Ann Copeland

The Art & Craft of Novel Writing by Oakley Hall

How to write romances by Phyllis Taylor Pianka

Characters & Viewpoint by Orson Scott Card

Yes, all of them are about writing novels, after all, I am a writer at heart.

Beth

• 1 month later...

I'm having to re-read books because I've run out. I just finished Deerskin by Robin McKinley and am going through the Clan of the Cave Bear series again.

Someone just gave me The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning to read. It's apparently about girl who is the only one able to see this dangerous, sexy Sidhe who somehow gets turned invisible...which I can't imagine will help his love life any...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.