Click Here!

What Are You Reading?

cu-kid9

I see all kinds of threads around here about movies, shows, and what people are writing (obviously), but what about what we're reading? I'm constantly looking for interesting books - sometimes the weirder, the better. I once read a 100 page book that was all about a man's trip up an escalator back to work. Crazy boring, you say? You'd be surprised. I highly recommend it (The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker).

I just finished Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund. It's a fictional account of Marie Antoinette written in first person, starting from when she enters France at fifteen and ending with her death. I will admit that there was a middle section in there that I had to kind of barrel through, but for the most part it was full of wonderful little details (there are one/two page chapters that are letters that Antoinette and her mother write to each other), and of course beautifully tragic - but I've always loved her story.

I also just finished Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (yeah, I'm one of those people who reads multiple books at once...), which isn't as smarty-smart as its title suggests (although it's kind of amusing to tote it around and see people's reactions when they see it or ask you what you're reading). It's about a young girl who's professor father drags her around the United States and a murder. The embellished language got tiresome about two-thirds of the way in, but everything falls together so crazily in the end that you just have to finish it (although, I will admit to being just a tad pissed at the end).

I just went to the bookstore and picked up Working for the Devil by Lilith Saintcrow. Anyone heard of or read this? It was one of those books that I picked up because the cover caught my eye (while I don't tend to judge a book by its cover, it has been the main reason I buy one more than once). That and the quote by Publishers Weekly, which says the protagonist is "brave, charismatic...with a smart mouth and a suicidal streak." Sold.

And I picked up the next two I need for the Anita Blake series. Here's my qualm with this series and the author (and I don't want any boos from fans because I do own 15 of the Blake series and even picked up her Ravenloft book, so shhh!) - I'm not entirely sure I really like the way Hamilton writes, but there's something highly addictive about these books...they're like smut-coated crack and I can't quit them. Ugh.

So is anyone else out there reading anything interesting? I've still got forty bucks in gift cards to the bookstore burning a hole in my pocket and need recommendations! :P

I just finished reading a H-Visual Novel called Yume Miru Kusuri where there's 3 possible girls you can end up with. And I chose the adorable one named Aeka and got too attached to her to the point my friends were getting sick of me going "She's so cute!" and eventually blocking me on MSN until I finished the game.

It had such a great story though, was pretty sad. ; - ;

Aeka is so adorable.

yumemiru2008-05-2919-46-32-60.jpg

yumemiru2008-05-2918-57-41-43.jpg

yumemiru2008-05-2916-51-13-90.jpg

Sad man, but so adorable.

after having finished rereading all of my Harry Potter and Stephen King novels, I am now moving on to my collection of H.P. Lovecraft works. Seriously, he was a huge racist, even for his time period, but he was a genius with words and Stephen King is just a genius, period. But, if you're not into horror, bear in mind that he doesn't just write horror (despite what some people seem to think), there's also the Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, L.T.'s Theory of Pets, and dozens of other stories that deal with human drama and relationships that exist even in his horror novels. If you're in the mood for an epic, there's also the dark tower series. Beyond the horror writers, I don't have many suggestions. There's also Clive Barker, but you have to have a sort of different appreciation to not only get, but to enjoy his work. John Schwartzwelder, one of the people who has worked on the Simpsons, also has created a hysterical book series. One of the books is called The Exploding Detective. Schwartzwelder is the one responsible for all of the old time-y type jokes that the Simpsons has, he's also the only one that refuses to do the audio commentaries, so they called him up on the phone while they were doing one just to get his voice on the DVD.

I read mostly fantasy. 'The Inkeeper's Song' was really good. I like Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. The book 'Blood and Gold' was particularly good, I couldn't put it down. If you don't mind something geared toward a younger crowd, I really liked 'The Dark is Rising' series. One of my cousins gave it to me for a birthday present and I blew through those.

I read mostly fantasy. 'The Inkeeper's Song' was really good.

Is that Peter S. Beagle? It sounds familiar, but I don't think I've actually read it. I have read A Fine and Private Place and The Last Unicorn (both of which I recommend if you like fantasy and Beagle). I usually read mostly fantasy and sci/fi as well, but I've been straying from the genre lately...

Yeah, I think it was Beagle. There was also a book called 'Sold: a Magic Kingdom' I think. I can't remember if that was written by Beagle or not, but that was a good series too. And 'The Black Unicorn' was awesome.

... If you don't mind something geared toward a younger crowd, I really liked 'The Dark is Rising' series. One of my cousins gave it to me for a birthday present and I blew through those.

I'll second that.

I actually don't mind reading young adult books. I'll have to check out the Dark is Rising series. I've also been told to pick up the Twilight books. Anyone read those? They've gotten rave reviews and the girl at the bookstore said she read the ones that are out and is anxiously waiting for the next. When I was in high school, the popular vampire series was the Vampire Diaries, by L.J. Smith...which I still re-read every so often...

I finished the Saintcrow book I picked up...read it in one day because I just couldn't put it down :blush: Now I have to get to the freakin' bookstore again to pick up the next ones because the end of this one sort of irked me...I'm hoping the issue will be resolved in either the second or third book.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel like I'm the only one here who doesn't read real books...

You shouldn't feel like that. A book is a book. If you enjoy reading it and it allows you to escape for a little while, then go for it! I'm always reading manga and my friends tell me that I'm reading comic books. I just ignore them. :)

I'm also preparing to start the latest book in the Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse series, From Dead to Worse. The books are about vampires and all sorts of supernatural creatures. They're set in the southern USA which is home to me so I just love 'em! :devil:

I'm also preparing to start the latest book in the Charlaine Harris - Sookie Stackhouse series, From Dead to Worse. The books are about vampires and all sorts of supernatural creatures. They're set in the southern USA which is home to me so I just love 'em! :devil:

What genre is this series? I'm always looking for recommendations for good vampire/supernatural beings series because the ones I tend to pick up at the bookstore always seem so...rote to me.

Yeah, I think it was Beagle. There was also a book called 'Sold: a Magic Kingdom' I think. I can't remember if that was written by Beagle or not, but that was a good series too. And 'The Black Unicorn' was awesome.

Those were both by Terry Brooks

Magic Kingdom for sale/sold!

The Black Unicorn

Wizard at Large

were the books in that particular series

Ah yes, also a good series. Terry Brooks is a good author. I was just a little mad at him because I didn't like the ending of 'The First King of Shanarra' I really hate it when the author kills off a lot of characters I like.

What genre is this series? I'm always looking for recommendations for good vampire/supernatural beings series because the ones I tend to pick up at the bookstore always seem so...rote to me.

I'm not really sure how to classify these books. :devil: My friend calls them supernatural chicklit. He's not completely off! lol The books center on Sookie Stackhouse, a small town waitress who is psychic. Turns out to be a curse rather than a blessing for her. A huge public announcement is made by the vampires of the world, announcing their existence. They come out following the development of an artificial blood. This basically changes the world. As Sookie becomes familiar with a local vampire, she discovers there's a lot of supernatural creatures out there that aren't so sure the vampires made the right choice.

The books have strong supernatural themes, some horror and a bit of romance. I don't know if any of that helps but they're well written with strong, complex characters. :)

Um...well...

I justed finished reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Picked it up at random and found it to be...well, for lack of a better word, weird.

Don't know why so don't ask. When I was reading the book my head was constantly tilted to the side.

The next book will probably be by John Grisham or Dean Kootnz (my hero)

I'm about to start reading "The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy." It seems to be an interesting read so I think I should have fun reading it. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I'm juggling a few things at the moment. I'm reading Straw Dogs by John Gray, God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens and Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. I'm supposed to be reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett as well but the sheer size of the book puts me off!

I'm supposed to be reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett as well but the sheer size of the book puts me off!

Sometimes I buy books that are rather lengthy just for the challenge of them (it's even better if it's a hardback with really little font!). But that's just one of my weird...quirks, I guess :yahoo:

I sped through the first three of Saintcrow's Dante Valentine series (so good!!), finished up Hamilton's Danse Macabre and The Harlequin (I'm starting to burn out on these. Anyone else feel that Blake is rather...omnipotent and Mary Sue-ish?), and am now trying to get myself back into "traditional" fantasy with Elizabeth Hayden's Elegy for a Lost Star. For some reason, I'm just not that interested in it. The first three were great, the fourth I was so-so about, but I'm only eighty pages into this fifth one and am just rather blah about it. I'm kind of forcing myself to read it, though, because the only other books I have on my shelves that I haven't read are Capote's In Cold Blood and Hubbard's Dianetics, the former of which I'm sure is good and the latter of which I'm just not up to (I don't even know where I got that...I'm pretty sure I didn't buy it).

Some of the books here I've read or am familiar with and others sound really interesting. I'm going to check out the Stackhouse series, for sure. Has anyone read House of Leaves by Danielewski? I keep seeing it at the bookstore, but it's in trade paperback and priced just high enough that I have a hard time justifying buying it on only one recommendation...

I didn't buy the Ken Follet book; I'm borrowing it from my boyfriend's mum. At this rate she won't get it back until next Christmas, and even then I doubt I'll be halfway through it!

I read at an excruciatingly slow pace. I'm not dyslexic or anything, I just don't like rushing the voice of the narrator in my head. Does anyone else do the same thing?

I would approach Dianetics with an open sense of humour. That is, of course, unless you take Scientology seriously! I, too, am curious as to how you acquired a copy as I can't imagine anyone besides Tom Cruise venturing out for a copy of Hubbard's writing.

I would approach Dianetics with an open sense of humour. That is, of course, unless you take Scientology seriously! I, too, am curious as to how you acquired a copy as I can't imagine anyone besides Tom Cruise venturing out for a copy of Hubbard's writing.

:lol:

I think it was leftovers from an old roommate - he was one of those people who just threw books away (sacrilege!). I just can't bring myself to even think about reading it, though...

I feel like I read slowly when it's something I'm reading for enjoyment or it's one of those books that has so much detail that I'm afraid if I skip something, I'll miss an entire plot element.

Did you borrow the Follett book because you wanted to read it? My mother has a tendency to just give me books that she thinks I'll enjoy - which I sometimes do - that's how I ended up reading Abundance and Special Topics in Calamity Physics. She gave me another one called A Thin Place, which I just couldn't get into. It had a sort of Tom Robbins/Skinny Legs and All element to it, where the inanimate objects started thinking/talking...but it wasn't done nearly as well as Robbins, I don't think.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.