Click Here!

Isn't All Celeb Fiction AU?

NecroNOMNOMicon

If you think about it, isn't all celebrity fiction set in an alternate universe? Specifically, an alternate universe in which the celebrity protagonist interacts with you or me or with the antagonists we writers set for them? I guess what I'm saying is, Isn't it understood that a celebrity fanfic is set in a different universe because we all know Celebrity X never did this or that, so it's clearly made up?

Or do you believe the alternate universe tag is reserved for a world in which, say, Jennifer Lawrence never got famous, or Ariana Grande was always a singer who never dabbled in acting, or Jena Malone and Jamie Chung never became friends, or Mira Sorvino was elected the first female president?

What do you think?

In the strictest sense, all fan fiction is AU because it steps outside the canon universe envisioned by the creators.

Having said that, I take the personal opinion that by staying within the general canon, in terms of keeping canon characters in character, and using the conventions and settings of the original creators of the 'verse, that fan fiction isn't AU. We're playing in the same sandbox, so to speak.

Celebrity fiction, or any real-person fiction, can be held to that looser standard, I think. It's taking the people we purport to admire, and placing them, still as themselves, in a setting that is totally fictitious, but not outside the realm of possibility for that celebrity. However, unless we take a celebrity and put them someplace wildly outside the realm of possibility - Jennifer Lawrence is piloting a mining ship in the asteroid belt - it really isn't AU, no matter how out of character it might seem for Mira Sorvino to be elected President some day, because really, it could happen. I'd hope she were wiser than to want the job, but it's not impossible.

I like your reasoning here, BronxWench, setting the bar for real-person fic AU at something that is outside the realm of possibility. It's simple and easy to apply. I am pondering a couple of stories that I wasn't sure where I was going to put them. Now I feel confident about where they belong.

Thanks for your input.

VOTE HILTON/SORVINO IN 2038.

Don't Let "It" Happen Again.

[/Eagle Flying Past Fluttering Flag And Scenes From WW3 Battlefields]

That scares the ever-living daylights out of me, JD! Unless you're referring to Nicky Hilton and not her older and far dimmer sister, who needs cue cards to chew gum. :lol:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.