Click Here!

Short links for forum posts?

tehuti88

I'm considering editing the thread I have dedicated to providing the author's notes for my stories (since they're too lengthy to post on the stories themselves). In the case that the URLs for the forum change yet again, I think it'd be more convenient that links to the individual notes/posts could be provided in the introductory post of that thread, a sort of "table of contents." That way I would not have to keep editing the individual post URLs provided in every one of my stories, I could just have one standard URL, that of the entire thread. (Yeah, people probably never read author's notes, but still... :unsure: )

I checked out the little links you click to provide you with the hyperlink to individual posts. On another forum I belong to, these take two forms. First is a link that brings you to that individual post's location on the entire page of posts. (Sort of like using the "#" function in creating hyperlinks to take you to a certain location on a page. A page jump, I believe it's called.) That's the kind of links I see on this forum. Second is a link to JUST that post--the rest of the thread doesn't show up, except perhaps as a link on that page.

I wished to provide the second kind of links so one would not have to load the entire page of posts for each table of contents link (plus, it's just a really long cumbersome link), but I can't seem to find that option; the only hyperlinks I get are for that individual post's location on the entire page of posts. This happens whether I click on the "#Number" link or the weird little "<" next to it.

Is there any option to link to individual posts only, or must you link to the post as it's located in the entire rest of the thread?

Hope this made sense. :unsure:

I'm considering editing the thread I have dedicated to providing the author's notes for my stories (since they're too lengthy to post on the stories themselves). In the case that the URLs for the forum change yet again, I think it'd be more convenient that links to the individual notes/posts could be provided in the introductory post of that thread, a sort of "table of contents." That way I would not have to keep editing the individual post URLs provided in every one of my stories, I could just have one standard URL, that of the entire thread. (Yeah, people probably never read author's notes, but still... :unsure: )

I checked out the little links you click to provide you with the hyperlink to individual posts. On another forum I belong to, these take two forms. First is a link that brings you to that individual post's location on the entire page of posts. (Sort of like using the "#" function in creating hyperlinks to take you to a certain location on a page. A page jump, I believe it's called.) That's the kind of links I see on this forum. Second is a link to JUST that post--the rest of the thread doesn't show up, except perhaps as a link on that page.

I wished to provide the second kind of links so one would not have to load the entire page of posts for each table of contents link (plus, it's just a really long cumbersome link), but I can't seem to find that option; the only hyperlinks I get are for that individual post's location on the entire page of posts. This happens whether I click on the "#Number" link or the weird little "<" next to it.

Is there any option to link to individual posts only, or must you link to the post as it's located in the entire rest of the thread?

Hope this made sense. :unsure:

The highlighted portion of your post is (I think) what you're looking to do, and that's not how it works here. While that link does take you straight to the post you want, the previous and subsequent posts appear above and below it. It's a jump link to the post, and not a stand-alone page with only that one post on it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.