Click Here!

Beyond Birthday and other ridiculous names

Shinju

This isn't the first Japanese series with insane "English" names, but for the life of me I cannot remember any others at the moment so we'll just stick with Death Note. I mean, I can kind of understand Weddy, maybe they were going for Wendy and couldn't pronounce it or something.

L, as much as I love you, your name should be spelled Elle and it is a girls name. To name one's child after a letter is insanity. But, well, I guess it's kind of cool, because L is a MAC. Does anyone know How L got his name? Because I really don't feel like reading all 14 mangas and Death Note, Another Note just to find out weather it tells you or not.

Quillish Wammy is just ridiculous, but I can forgive him his name because he reminds me of Alfred from Batman. Mello's okay for a nickname, but Near? And wait, what about Beyond Birthday??? I mean, srsly, wtf??? I know that he's only in a spin off novel not written by the original author, but for God's sake, come on! Whats with the use of adverbs and adjectives for first names here? Why not call him Yonder Bar Mitzvah, or, if you must keep the matching letters, Quickly QuinceaƱera???

Did I just confuse adverbs and adjectives with prepositions? Why must I always post while under the influence of insomnia and mimosas . . . . ?

Anyways, just thought of another, Below Boxing Day. Okay, getting corny now, I'll stop.

Yes! The first time I heard Whammy - I couldn't stop laughing. And his first name! Quillish?! WTH?! And Beyond Birthday? Seriously, it makes no sense! I love the strange adaption of English words the Japanses do - like one of my favorite band names 'Bump of Chicken.'

And calling your kid Light? I mean, when you think about it - can you imgaine being in school and they introduce a new kid called that? Or L? Or even Mello? I think Matt was the only guy in there with a genuinely normal English name - though his real name...Mail? Seriously... sometimes I think they just see words in English and use them, regardless of context. I'm expecting a series to come out with names from cleaning commercials and cereal packets.

And yes, mimosa will do that to you - I always have gramatical problems after encountering it...

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my God! You are so right! Almost everyone in Death Note has a bizarre English name. XD I sometimes think the creators chose these names just to make fun of English speaking words/people. XD Nah, I'm just kidding but seriously now... why would they choose such strange names to give to their characters? O_o

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.