Click Here!

Incorrect Fanon

Guest DreadRedDragon8

Guest DreadRedDragon8

Because I strongly believe that this point is a sound enough reason to lead its own topic, I posted this also on FanFiction.net in two separate forums. You can find them with these links:

https://www.fanfiction.net/topic/12895/126212276/1/

http://www.fanfiction.net/topic/89349/126212583/1/Incorrect-Fanon.

I still question whether anyone will care but topics have been started for less. The following has come to my attention after many years of reading Final Fantasy VII fan fiction. I wonder if I am alone in this.

It is my insistence that there needs to be an immediate cessation of fics where Sephiroth is called 'General Sephiroth' and Genesis is called 'Commander Genesis' or 'Commander Rhapsodos'. I have no idea who started this but it irks me at how incorrect the usage of these terms are.

Sephiroth is not a General and neither is Genesis a Commander. Heidegger is a General because he is in charge of Shinra's standard military force. Sephiroth and Genesis are SOLDIERs - a fictional game-only elite division that is separate to the standard military. Their shared rank is respectively 'SOLDIER First Class'. Labeling them otherwise actually implies that they are lesser than what they are. Therefore, calling Sephiroth a General is an insult to him, as is dubbing Genesis as 'Commander' - even more so since it's canon that these two characters are equals in rank. Not only is General a higher rank than Commander but the latter is a naval rank whereas the former is specifically army!

Could people please, please, please process this information and desist in mislabeling Sephiroth and Genesis as anything other than what they're meant to be? Call them 'SOLDIER First Class Sephiroth' and 'SOLDIER First Class Genesis Rhapsodos'. If that's too wordy, just 'First Class Sephiroth' and 'First Class Rhapsodos' works - you'd even be using less syllables for Genesis. It would be great if someone could start.

I know that 'General Sephiroth' and 'Commander Rhapsodos' may have a nice ring to them but why are we using these terms otherwise? Do we dislike their placement in SOLDIER, a significantly more esteemed division than the general military? Do we wish to associate their military might with Heidegger - an overweight pencil-pusher? What is your reasoning, please?

Guest DreadRedDragon8

Sorry, folks. You'll have to excuse my rudeness. In my enthusiasm, I failed to realise that this is an area where people post fic challenges and requests. Consider my earlier rant a challenge for someone to write a FFVII fan fiction which includes the usage of Genesis and Sephiroth's proper rank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.