Click Here!

what would it be called?

SirGeneralSir

so there has been something bothering me for some time now, ive tried google but i am not getting the answer i am looking for.

i want to know if there is a different kind of name for a research facility that would be operated mostly by college/university students, like if you were to go to south american and study new plants or animals etc.

I have a story in mind that takes place on an alien planet, i guess you could say almost like pandora from JCs Avatar only different, more M class.

would that kind of facility have some kind of special tag to its name or something that would identify it as being full of students and the like or no?

Any sort of research, training, school, or learning facility. Transitionary, mid-level, and developmental.

Do any of these work?

well my idea is that it would have about 150-300 people there, being the students, professors, support staff and security (armed with mostly non lethal weapons but some that are) and the facility is doing a global analyzation of the planets environment and animal life.

i was unsure if because it was supported by students or not if there would be a different kind of name attached to it or anything instead of just calling it Facility 963, or Alpha station etc

yeah, i wasn't too sure about there being a title name or anything for a facility or what have you like that.

now all i have to do is come up with a design and a name for the place that will be researching a M class planet (their the guinea pigs to see how many things can eat you)

so im thinking it would require ......... i think 6 departments, not looking up the name at the moment but.

animal/fish/bird research.

plant

geological planet wide.

contaminants

planets weather

6th one i had it then lost it

of course there would also be housing for the students and staff, the barracks and armory followed by a sort of command center.

Acedemic research, as opposed to commercial research, government research, and military research.

If it is acedemic research, it would almost certainly be affiliated with a college or university. The facility would most likely actually be on campus, and second most likely be near to the campus, because these are professors and students that still have classes to attend. In rare instances, a professor might take his graduate students with on a research expedition, so if this is a remote facility they might go there for a few months to a year as part of that, but that's unlikely if you want a fully staffed building with ongoing research since it's hard to keep that going with a constant turnover of the people who are there.

hummmm.

im thinking of something like in the first transformers movie where government hired students, the facility is a research station kind of like on Avatar, the government is using the planet for a relay station for communications with ships etc, but like in Avatar, there are interesting things on the planet that require research and many many samples.

military presence is very limited, about .......... 250? military personnel, 100 are marines/security, the rest are other staff like coms officers etc.

scientists and students, im thinking of about ....... 500? students, 150 scientists, 50 custodians, 150 engineers to fix the broken stuff and keep lights on.

1100? people on the station.