Click Here!

She is the One

GEMINI

3 hours ago, thismy said:

Or we get Kayla making a mistake. She's not perfect, and the biggest one I can remember is not telling Jack about Jeff. She's overreacted a couple times, but otherwise she hasn't made a big slip up. It's her turn, at least I think. 

Otherwise I really want a situation where it effects both Jack and Kayla and they're on the same page as to what to do, or maybe Jack has to reign in Kayla a little. 

Theory time--

1. Jeff has been stalking Kayla via phone calls and text messages for well over a year and she decided not to mention it to Jack.  Then right after the last day of school he shows up at her door.  Jack expresses his dismay in no uncertain terns.
  2. Catfight.  Jack and Kayla decide to bury the tomahawk and attend Jessica’s year-end party.  Bad idea.  Snippy words are exchanged and the situation rapidly goes south.   Jessica slaps Kayla, who responds by breaking Jessica’s nose.  The police become involved.
  3. Remember GarboCon?  How about if Kayla and some of her co-workers at the clinic get invited to a week-long series of veterinary seminars in Pittsburg?  Jack is fine with it until he drives Kayla to work on the morning of the trip and sees a large travel van with three girls and four guys waiting on her.  Pleasant dreams, Mr. Harrison. 

On 9/11/2017 at 6:03 PM, Chester57 said:

Theory time--

1. Jeff has been stalking Kayla via phone calls and text messages for well over a year and she decided not to mention it to Jack.  Then right after the last day of school he shows up at her door.  Jack expresses his dismay in no uncertain terns.
  2. Catfight.  Jack and Kayla decide to bury the tomahawk and attend Jessica’s year-end party.  Bad idea.  Snippy words are exchanged and the situation rapidly goes south.   Jessica slaps Kayla, who responds by breaking Jessica’s nose.  The police become involved.
  3. Remember GarboCon?  How about if Kayla and some of her co-workers at the clinic get invited to a week-long series of veterinary seminars in Pittsburg?  Jack is fine with it until he drives Kayla to work on the morning of the trip and sees a large travel van with three girls and four guys waiting on her.  Pleasant dreams, Mr. Harrison. 

The catfight seems most likely of the three, but personally seems far out to me. I'm not saying I have any better ideas, because as of now, I don't, but I just don't see it happening. 

I recall Kayla mentioning that her co-workers are all double her age, and Kayla doesn't seem like the older guy type of gal. So Jack probably wouldn't have to worry on that front. 

The Jeff point is possible, but I feel it'd be cheap, and Jashley usually leaves bread crumbs, which we've had none of. Jeff was a conflict. One that is far away and has been resolved. 

19 hours ago, thismy said:

The catfight seems most likely of the three, but personally seems far out to me. I'm not saying I have any better ideas, because as of now, I don't, but I just don't see it happening. 

I recall Kayla mentioning that her co-workers are all double her age, and Kayla doesn't seem like the older guy type of gal. So Jack probably wouldn't have to worry on that front. 

The Jeff point is possible, but I feel it'd be cheap, and Jashley usually leaves bread crumbs, which we've had none of. Jeff was a conflict. One that is far away and has been resolved. 

Don’t underestimate Jessica’s vindictive nature.  Perhaps her mother can rein her in, we’ll see.  So far whenever Jack and Kayla go to a dance or party it doesn’t turn out well.

Can you pinpoint where Kayla mentioned that her co-workers are older?  I do recall that she hangs out with them.

I based the ‘Jeff theory’ on the fact that Brad had been gone for more than a year before he came out of left field.  Granted, we all knew he’d be back.

Edited by Chester57

On 9/14/2017 at 4:12 PM, Chester57 said:

Don’t underestimate Jessica’s vindictive nature.  Perhaps her mother can rein her in, we’ll see.  So far whenever Jack and Kayla go to a dance or party it doesn’t turn out well.

Can you pinpoint where Kayla mentioned that her co-workers are older?  I do recall that she hangs out with them.

I based the ‘Jeff theory’ on the fact that Brad had been gone for more than a year before he came out of left field.  Granted, we all knew he’d be back.

Chapter 76 about 2/3rds through:

"“I have to check my schedule too and I think I’m supposed to go out with the girls on…maybe Saturday?” She thought about it for a second. “Or maybe it was Friday…Have to check.”

“The ‘girls’?”

“From work, genius. How many other girls do I know?” Before I could even state the obvious answer, she pressed a finger to my lips. “I’m not hanging out with Becca alone, Jessica’s out of the question, and Belle…” She grimaced sourly. “From work.”

“How come I’ve never met them?” I asked once she finally pulled her finger away, “Believe me, I’m not gonna go after any of them.”

Good,” she said emphatically, her eyebrows arching, “Nice to know you don’t have a death-wish anymore.”

“Yeah, well—”

“And most of them are your mom’s age and married so…do with that what you want.” She smirked and folded her arms. “So what’s our next date gonna be?”"

So yeah, I doubt Kayla has a lot of young male attention at her work, yet it is possible. However, I think Jack getting upset over it would be another big blow. "Jack, I love you. You still don't trust me?" Something like that. Kayla cheating on Jack is, in my opinion, highly implausible. Jack's insecurities, at this point in their relationship, would be kind of outrageous and probably a turn off for Kayla. 

I think you're right that Jessica shouldn't be taken lightly. I'm just not sure what she'd do. I doubt bring Brad back. Maybe try to humiliate them? Do something to get Jack or Kayla in a proactive position? It'll be interesting to see what her mom does and possibly meet her dad, who apparently she gets her stuck up entitlement from. Or is there one last villain or problem waiting in the wings for Jack and Kayla before they leave?

With regards to Jeff again, I think the Brad thing is the problem. Brad was a significant character. We knew he'd come back, right. It was always likely. Personally I'd hoped he'd have changed, and Jack could at least not hate him, but whatever. Jeff on the other hand, we've never met, and haven't heard from for at least two years. Him coming to find Kayla when she and Jack were first together was likely, but not now. If he were to show up, It'd be very hard for me to accept without real good justification. 

I expect Belle might show up one more time, and we might get a tie up with the gym teacher whose name I'm too lazy to go spell correctly. 

We've still got a lot of story ahead of us. There are many things still to happen. Bombs, car crashes, water torture, engagements, wedding, college and all the things that come along with it, plus the items that haven't been teased. A lot of the story's recent conflicts have been past villains, old haunts. I expect we'll see something new. 

Edited by thismy
Words

A bit of bad news. I meant to post the chapter tonight but my power suddenly went out and now I'm stuck with a finished chapter and no way to post! So I'll be posting as soon as I can tomorrow, even if it's early in the morning. Sorry all!

Finished 79 (I’ve been busy and am running a little behind)

Tender moments with Rhona. She has been one of my favorite characters and it ended like that may be her last scene. It reinforced my opinion that down inside she is lonely. Jack is likely the closest she’s ever gotten to a guy emotionally, but he’s one she can’t have. I pictured her straddling her drunk ass on Jack’s lap, but at least she respects him enough to not go there. She settled for the hug.

It also appears that the author is getting us ready for a reboot. Once college starts in the fall it will be Jack and Kayla and a whole new set of supporting characters. Jack’s eager to get the hell out of town, but Kayla’s been giving indications that, like me, she may not be quite as ready to be 1000 miles away from everyone she knows (except for Jack, of course)

I think this saga will end by the time they get to college, but if that’s true something will have to blow up in their faces. Can’t go without conflict!

Oh, and some folks were mentioning about Kara messing up. In regards to my comment above, I wonder if Kara starts having second thoughts about leaving home, letting Jack face the prospect of being in Iowa all by himself.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:50 AM, Joe Long said:

It also appears that the author is getting us ready for a reboot. Once college starts in the fall it will be Jack and Kayla and a whole new set of supporting characters. Jack’s eager to get the hell out of town, but Kayla’s been giving indications that, like me, she may not be quite as ready to be 1000 miles away from everyone she knows (except for Jack, of course)

I think this saga will end by the time they get to college, but if that’s true something will have to blow up in their faces. Can’t go without conflict!

Oh, and some folks were mentioning about Kara messing up. In regards to my comment above, I wonder if Kara starts having second thoughts about leaving home, letting Jack face the prospect of being in Iowa all by himself.

Chapter 80 seems to back up your contention that Kayla is annoyed about something and may indeed be having doubts about leaving her family.  Could be that Chester and Mary are still having problems.

I was glad that Jack had a good-bye scene with Beth.  As for Jessica-- “I hate you.”  Perfect exit line!   A bit of a let-down that Belle didn’t show up.  Ah well, we’ve still got graduation and the whole summer yet to come.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Jack and Kayla get to college— assuming they get there.  When Jack was choosing courses with his counselor in Ch. 79 he seemed to want to take the least amount of courses necessary to get his degree.  Kayla will be just the opposite— a lot of hard science courses and labs.  Throughout high school they had a fair number of classes together, but in college they won’t have anything together.  They won’t be seeing each other nearly as much as they do now.

Edited by Chester57

Ch. 80 was soild. I sort of got my wish! Kayla attacking Jessica was a bit of a surprise, and Jack did have to rein her in. "Attacking," may be a strong word, more of a quick shove, but it did it's damage. Her final words were befitting, but we might get another glimpse of her, I think. The marriage point was quite contentious, and interesting to see play out. That was really the first time I can recall Jack and Kayla having an in depth discussion about it, and it's interesting that Kayla has been so set off. 

8 hours ago, Chester57 said:

Chapter 80 seems to back up your contention that Kayla is annoyed about something and may indeed be having doubts about leaving her family.  Could be that Chester and Mary are still having problems.

I was glad that Jack had a good-bye scene with Beth.  As for Jessica-- “I hate you.”  Perfect exit line!   A bit of a let-down that Belle didn’t show up.  Ah well, we’ve still got graduation and the whole summer yet to come.

It will interesting to see what happens when Jack and Kayla get to college— assuming they get there.  When Jack was choosing courses with his counselor in Ch. 79 he seemed to want to take the least amount of courses necessary to get his degree.  Kayla will be just the opposite— a lot of hard science courses and labs.  Throughout high school they had a fair number of classes together, but in college they won’t have anything together.  They won’t be seeing each other nearly as much as they do now.

As Joe Long mentioned, college is a new window for Jashley. He can reboot, restart. Fresh characters, plot lines. New issues and challenges with Kayla. 

I think it's pretty safe to say they'll both go to ISU. Kayla may have second thoughts and so on, but I think they'll end up in the same place. They don't strike me as a couple that could survive the long distance. (few can, it destroyed my brother, though probably for the better. Hell, 50 miles ruined one of mine, but that was kinda on me) No slight against our heros, but that's just my perspective.

The point about not having time in college, I don't buy that. At least not for freshman year. Right, Kayla will have some tough classes, Jack too but not as much. However, freshman year is mostly gen eds, lower level classes. Jack and Kayla have always seemed pretty smart. My freshman year, difficulty wise, was not that bad. And it was recent too. I had plenty of time on the weekends, and I often saw people all over campus. I suspect Jack and Kayla should be able to grab lunch at least twice during the week, and then on the weekends hang out. They can do homework together at the library, in study rooms all over. My school is not lacking in those. Free time abounds, even with homework. 

I'm really looking forward to Kayla developing her own group of girlfriends (maybe her roommate(s?) can be an in to that) totally independent of Jack. I think it's what Kayla needs, anyway. Maybe she rushes a sorority? She doesn't strike me as the type, but who knows. As previously trending through the thoughts on the last few chapters, the talk about marriage and other things, could Kayla be feeling suffocated by Jack? I don't doubt she loves him, but maybe she acts out to get her own space. The stress of college brings out booze party Kayla. She has her sorority-frat only parties. That could send Jack into another world of insecure. 

So many possibilities! I can't wait to see what's in store. 

On 9/22/2017 at 8:35 PM, Chester57 said:

Throughout high school they had a fair number of classes together, but in college they won’t have anything together.  They won’t be seeing each other nearly as much as they do now.

No common classes.

Many schools require freshmen to live on campus. Once they get to their second year, they could find an apartment and move in together...but that may seem too close to committing to marriage.

Something I really liked was Jack and Nick having lunch for the last time.  Especially when Nick said he was going to spend the summer reading books.  That is exactly what I did the summer after I graduated.  Up to that point I only read what I was required to read— never for my own enjoyment.  It was the weirdest thing that I didn’t have to read anymore but that I wanted to.  An awakening of sorts.

One thing Nick was right about was going back and re-reading a book at a later date.   You always pick up things you missed and gain a new appreciation of the author’s work.  Good luck in the future, Mr. Tallorn.

3 minutes ago, Chester57 said:

Something I really liked was Jack and Nick having lunch for the last time.  Especially when Nick said he was going to spend the summer reading books.  That is exactly what I did the summer after I graduated.  Up to that point I only read what I was required to read— never for my own enjoyment.  It was the weirdest thing that I didn’t have to read anymore but that I wanted to.  An awakening of sorts.

One thing Nick was right about was going back and re-reading a book at a later date.   You always pick up things you missed and gain a new appreciation of the author’s work.  Good luck in the future, Mr. Tallorn.

I did this for a year after college. I had time and was free to choose my own topics. Read quite a bit of 20th century history. The CIA recruiter liked it, but I still didn’t get the job.

On the way into college, particularly that last week before classes, I felt much like I think Kayla was on prom night. Simply overwhelmed with the weight of what was expected and having to live up to that with little clue of what to do in a new situation. Felt like a nervous breakdown. Panicking was not a good way to start school. I still have occasional dreams 40 years later where I’m starting back at school and I can’t find my schedule, I constantly miss classes, etc. Extreme frustration and not being able to be competent (even though I am quite an achiever now, despite sometimes still being struck with anxieties)

On 9/27/2017 at 1:18 PM, that-one-guy said:

So ive been away from the series for a while. turns out its been a longggggg while, and now i forget where i was haha. it was maybe a few chapters after brad called jack, so i think thats mid-late 60’s? and now were in the 80’s?? i have a lot of catching up to do haha

I also just recently got back. It's a rough few chapters (rough as in for Jack. Great writing) but I like the direction. Took a while to catch up, I left off about the same spot as you. 

You can always trust Jashley13 to get post-sex conversations just right.

I love how Kayla is being fleshed out so much more, and how Jack is only seeing the surface. They are perfect together, but man, this chapter makes me feel that sadness that slowly gnaws inside your chest. The same sadness that Jack might feel.

How amazing is this whole story, god damn!

18 hours ago, Starkz said:

You can always trust Jashley13 to get post-sex conversations just right.

I love how Kayla is being fleshed out so much more, and how Jack is only seeing the surface. They are perfect together, but man, this chapter makes me feel that sadness that slowly gnaws inside your chest. The same sadness that Jack might feel.

How amazing is this whole story, god damn!

It was incredible. I was feeling the same things. That nervousness, that sadness, even a bit depressed. That really damn good writing to do that to me. We see more and more of Kayla every chapter, and I love it!

So chapter 81 was strong. Very strong. I'm reminded of my high school graduation, which was hectic and crowed, but I had it a one of my town's many event centers, not a university. I got Jack's feeling of being out of place at the arcade. Went to one of those for a party my senior year, and it was pretty bad. 

And Arthur throwing some shade! It'll be interesting to see how he and Tara work out. But Jack and Kayla have been splitting. There are definitely weak links in their relationship, and those are being stressed. The last conversation of the chapter seems to confirm our theories of Kayla's feeling of suffocation. It's technically not too late to change, but Kayla is in pretty deep. 

This, above all else, might actually be the biggest strain on their relationship. I know we all assume that Jack and Kayla are endgame, but this should be good to see. 

I haven’t finished reading Ch. 81 yet but I noticed two things—

1. When Jessica’s mom meets Jack and Kayla’s parents at the graduation she introduces herself as Alaina Wilson.  In Ch.79 after the musical she said her name was Ursula Wilson.  
  2. I could have sworn that Jack’s middle name was Matthew— not Robert.  I believe it was mentioned early in the story.  I’ll have to go back and see if I can find it.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:49 AM, thismy said:

And Arthur throwing some shade! It'll be interesting to see how he and Tara work out. But Jack and Kayla have been splitting. There are definitely weak links in their relationship, and those are being stressed. The last conversation of the chapter seems to confirm our theories of Kayla's feeling of suffocation. It's technically not too late to change, but Kayla is in pretty deep. 

This, above all else, might actually be the biggest strain on their relationship. I know we all assume that Jack and Kayla are endgame, but this should be good to see. 

Yes, another fine chapter.  I am not holding out much hope for a long-distance relationship between Arthur and Tara.  We still don’t really know her true feelings about him.  Arthur’s conversation with Jack could suggest that he’s not sure Tara would stay with him through the separation of college.

Jack mentioned that Kayla never really tells him about what is going on at her house and with her parents.  Well, for damn sure something is going on.  I wonder if it was true that Chester Hannigan was out at a job interview when Jack came to pick up Kayla for the prom?   And “Too late to change, anyway…?”  Now that’s an interesting comment.  Kayla is definitely having second thoughts about Iowa.  Two possibilities that I can think of— 

1. Her folks have been quietly pressuring Kayla not to go.  Recall that Mary had wanted Kayla to follow her into a political career.
  2. Kayla is afraid that if she leaves her parents would separate.       

Thoughts?

On 10/4/2017 at 11:18 AM, Chester57 said:

I haven’t finished reading Ch. 81 yet but I noticed two things—

1. When Jessica’s mom meets Jack and Kayla’s parents at the graduation she introduces herself as Alaina Wilson.  In Ch.79 after the musical she said her name was Ursula Wilson.  

Just read it a few hours ago, it was Ursula when I saw it. Perhaps the author caught it himself.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.