Click Here!

Hiatus... Then what?

CloverReef

So... I've been having this little episode of self-doubt and anxiety. Sometimes it helps to get other perspectives on things to get a clearer picture of a situation. (Does that even make sense?)

Anyway, as some writers tend to do, I went on Hiatus. I haven't stopped writing. I've been writing constantly since the last story I posted a couple years ago. But that's just it - I haven't been posting anything. Anywhere. And now I'm thinking of posting again.

It kinda feels like posting for the first time ever all over again. All the anxiety that comes with it: will people read it? will people like it? What will they think? Will it be boring? They won't remember me - what about my story will draw them in? It's a scary thing, coming back from a hiatus. I've never done this before - before the hiatus, I was always pretty cocky about my writing.

I would like to know... Those of you who have gone on hiatus and come back, was it easy? Did you have trouble coming back? What helped, or did it go poorly? Those of you readers who have known writers who have done this, or simply have 2 cents to throw in on the subject, please weigh in. I feel like I should ramble some more, but that's probably just the caffeine. Take care <3

~Clover~

Heya Clover!!!

I don't think you have any worries. There are plenty of authors who take a few months off, a few years off, etc. Mahsa updates very infrequently, as does Orbiting Jupiter, and yet their readers (me included), devour their latest chapters b/c we're just so excited they updated. lol

I also don't think you have anything to worry about regarding your writing; Heirloom was a fantastic story which had me laughing from the first sentence in the bathroom of the airport, to the last line. =)

You're a very talented writer, Clover, so I wouldn't worry about your readers not wanting to read anything else by you.

I'm excited knowing that you'll be posting another story soon. :)

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. I didn't mean to fish for compliments. I'm genuinely interested in everyone's experience with this sort of thing. That being said... OMG I love you for not forgetting me! You made me feel better, and my fragile ego enjoyed that little inflation! ... *Ahem*. I mean... You're very sweet, and your sentiment is greatly appreciated. And it's great to see familiar faces/names are still around. Hi!

Edited by CloverReef

Hey Clover!

I never forget one of my favorite authors! :)

I just saw you posted your story and I can't wait to read it. =)

It is nice seeing a familiar name on here too; there have been so many authors/readers who have jumped ship. :(

But then on the other hand, there have been a few new authors here who are really good. :)

Glad to see you're back though! :)

Lisa

I think the hardest part is starting from scratch, building readers and so on. I had a crisis of confidence on another site that led me to go on hiatus for...well, years. Even though I'm coming back to writing, I'm not going back to that account because those stories aren't "me" anymore. It's easier to have enthusiasm for new projects and new stories, so starting a new account on a new website seemed appropriate. :P

I'm kind of finding that it's rather like starting a new story after you've spent a year or two working exclusively on a really large project. It seems daunting, because you're starting from scratch when you had grown used to having all the previous work to "jump off" from... But once you get in and start working, it's never as bad as you thought it was going to be!

And I didn't know you before, since I'm obviously new here, but still... Welcome back! :)

Thanks, KH.

Mmhm, it is pretty daunting. I wonder if that crisis of confidence is common among writers. I've always just assumed this perpetual cloud of insidious self-doubt was a natural state of mind for someone who spends a lot of time creating. I usually find it constructive - it leads to a lot of obsessive editing - but it can easily become overwhelming. I understand what you mean by the stories not being 'you' anymore. Sometimes it's best to start with a clean slate. Especially when you're switching genres or trying to distance yourself from certain levels of quality and/or subject matter. Whatever the reason, getting away from it is sometimes the best way to evolve.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. My train of thought's gone a little... roguish today. Anyway I don't know how long you've been on AFF, but it's a pleasure to meet you! Welcome ^_^

• 3 years later...
52 minutes ago, Desiderius Price said:

I’ve got a story that’s been on hiatus for ten years because I got stuck and can’t get myself unstuck.

Man you are so much more loyal to your stories than I am. My story graveyard is a spraaawling cemetery full of things I’ve completely given up on. 

13 minutes ago, CloverReef said:

Man you are so much more loyal to your stories than I am. My story graveyard is a spraaawling cemetery full of things I’ve completely given up on. 

I...dunno...just started to crave continuing it, got intense over the weekend, don’t know why.  But, in an effort to unstick it, I’m going through the old forum topics to see if there’s something close to what I need.  Otherwise, I’m putting up a new topic.

4 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

I...dunno...just started to crave continuing it, got intense over the weekend, don’t know why.  But, in an effort to unstick it, I’m going through the old forum topics to see if there’s something close to what I need.  Otherwise, I’m putting up a new topic.

So that’s why you’re raising these buggers from the dead. Absolutely, start a new topic. I’m curious! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually felt a little of this coming back with my one and only story. I mean, I don’t have a lot that I’ve written or anything, but when I initially posted my story, I was basically ecstatic it was received so well. I think I became overconfident since I’m a novice at best and didn’t have the ending fully mapped out in my head. That’s what prevented me from finishing the story up until this year. The story was written for a friend, but I still had similar feelings as you, CloverReef. I was thinking: “are the readers that initially read the story still even on this site anymore? Is there anyone that’s been patiently waiting for me to finish this WIP?”
I suppose the train of though is not the same since this story was a gift fanfic while you have a lot of originals, which is a lot more pressure when it comes to leaving a lasting impression on a reader and enticing them to come back for more.

7 hours ago, Kei0523 said:

I actually felt a little of this coming back with my one and only story. I mean, I don’t have a lot that I’ve written or anything, but when I initially posted my story, I was basically ecstatic it was received so well. I think I became overconfident since I’m a novice at best and didn’t have the ending fully mapped out in my head. That’s what prevented me from finishing the story up until this year. The story was written for a friend, but I still had similar feelings as you, CloverReef. I was thinking: “are the readers that initially read the story still even on this site anymore? Is there anyone that’s been patiently waiting for me to finish this WIP?”
I suppose the train of though is not the same since this story was a gift fanfic while you have a lot of originals, which is a lot more pressure when it comes to leaving a lasting impression on a reader and enticing them to come back for more.

I recently started to rework/update a story, started 15 years ago.  I had that initial spurt, then trickled off.  Several updates in between, before putting it onto “permanent hiatus” in 2012.  Oh, I think I surprised more than a few readers late last month when I started to update it again, after a six year silence.  A couple of people un-sub’d from the alerts, probably not realizing that they had sub’d to me.  I do intend to finish it, but time will tell.

@Kei0523 The fact that you did eventually come back, even if it's just one story, says a lot. Though I do hope you have more stories in you. I like having new people around to play with.

Edited by CloverReef

18 hours ago, Desiderius Price said:

I recently started to rework/update a story, started 15 years ago.  I had that initial spurt, then trickled off.  Several updates in between, before putting it onto “permanent hiatus” in 2012.  Oh, I think I surprised more than a few readers late last month when I started to update it again, after a six year silence.  A couple of people un-sub’d from the alerts, probably not realizing that they had sub’d to me.  I do intend to finish it, but time will tell.

That's honestly what I'm hoping for. Haha I mean, no biggie either way but as I am posting it for others to read, there's still that part of me that hopes it's caught the attention of those that enjoy the fanfic category.:D

6 hours ago, CloverReef said:

@Kei0523 The fact that you did eventually come back, even if it's just one story, says a lot. Though I do hope you have more stories in you. I like having new people around to play with.

Thank you! I'm more of a lurker than anything else, but I was very inspired by some of your comments throughout the thread. It's very encouraging. ^^

3 hours ago, Kei0523 said:

That's honestly what I'm hoping for. Haha I mean, no biggie either way but as I am posting it for others to read, there's still that part of me that hopes it's caught the attention of those that enjoy the fanfic category.:D

Well, there are plenty of abandoned fanfic from that era in Harry Potter.  Especially for those that were “finish the series my way” type of thing, more often than not got dropped not too long after another book got released.  However, I really, really, enjoyed my plot, feels more grimy and dirty and scary than canon in some respects, certainly a more ever-present danger – canon Harry had it easy compared to mine :devil:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2014 at 4:57 PM, CloverReef said:

So... I've been having this little episode of self-doubt and anxiety. Sometimes it helps to get other perspectives on things to get a clearer picture of a situation. (Does that even make sense?)

Anyway, as some writers tend to do, I went on Hiatus. I haven't stopped writing. I've been writing constantly since the last story I posted a couple years ago. But that's just it - I haven't been posting anything. Anywhere. And now I'm thinking of posting again.

It kinda feels like posting for the first time ever all over again. All the anxiety that comes with it: will people read it? will people like it? What will they think? Will it be boring? They won't remember me - what about my story will draw them in? It's a scary thing, coming back from a hiatus. I've never done this before - before the hiatus, I was always pretty cocky about my writing.

I would like to know... Those of you who have gone on hiatus and come back, was it easy? Did you have trouble coming back? What helped, or did it go poorly? Those of you readers who have known writers who have done this, or simply have 2 cents to throw in on the subject, please weigh in. I feel like I should ramble some more, but that's probably just the caffeine. Take care <3

~Clover~

I’ve been writing on this blessed website for years. I usually delete stories if I’ve written like a couple chapters and I don’t get many hits.

There’s only a single story that I’ve kept. Grand Inquisition. It's just with life got in the way. Haha.

Its pretty much on near-permanent hiatus. I put alot of effort into it. I mean I got two, three chapters left its just.

Its like I got the finale planned but well...the journey to said finale is just… Not me any more. Or rather not whom I was or am currently.

A bittersweet journey’s end is still bitter.