Click Here!

need help to get back into fanfictions

joannbeatty

Okay dearest people. I haven't written a single fan fiction in at least 7 years and I don't know where to start. I guess in recent years I have been more self-conscious and I all I can think while I try to write is why write it if no one likes it. In the past I have been able to write fictions with pre existing characters and have never had to craft my own but simply had to create a story that changed the character into what I wanted it to be.

So is it weird or lame to make up a character and just add it to the story. Okay so ill give an example of what I'm talking about, I want to write a fan fiction based off what just happened in the season 9 finale of supernatural. please help. I want to try and write but I just feel a little dumb.

I guess I may just have to daydream and figure out how to craft a story. I'm so excited and nervous. Every time I write a fan fiction I feel as if I'm actually writing a book.

Adding in a new character is common. Otherwise, we wouldn't have an OC (original character) tag. It is a good bridge to writing completely original fiction. At least it was for me. Are OC's popular? Not so much in some fandoms.

If you're looking for inspiration, I suggest the Dribs, Drabs prompts. Treat it like an assignment - a challenge to use all three words within the length constraints. They got me back to writing when I had been quite stagnant. Even now, I'm eyeing up: gravid, grandiose and grognard. I am thinking of exactly how I can use those words!

edited for grammar

Edited by pittwitch

And honestly, fan fictions can become as long and as complicated as any novel. Trust me on this. I have one WIP that is currently at 197,212 words so far, and it's not done. My Original stuff here doesn't get quite that long, but I can be a wordy Wench. :D

lol you guys have to treat me like I'm dumb. So what is a WIP.

I really am having a hard time getting my fiction started, i honestly think I need to get back into the routine i once had of jamming out to some amazing music and just write. I need to treat my writing like my college comp class.

::grins:: A WIP is a Work In Progress.

I actually used my NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writer's Month) freebie to print a vanity copy of the first 40 chapters. Book 1 of the story, as it were. 130,842 words. Now I just have to finish the godsbedamned thing before next June so I can print up Book 2 as my little vanity prize. There's something incredibly fun about holding an actual book with your name on the spine. :D

Edited by BronxWench
edited for clarity.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.