Click Here!

Troubles with Editing Chapters

Guest Wicked_Black_Cat

Guest Wicked_Black_Cat

Hello, I'm back on this site after almost two years :)

As I was updating my story ( story.php?no=600000046 ) by adding a new chapter I noticed the text area didn't have a font and paragraph control panel (as you can see).

syi4.jpg

So I copied/pasted my chapter from an OpenOffice document, put a title (Chapter II ---> woow, so original!) and uploaded it on the site without formatting the paragraph. Now I'm having issues with editing any chapters because no text appears in the box,

6n89.jpg

Even though I tried to modify them on my documents and copy/paste them again, I can't seem to update it on the site, no matter how many times I click the "Edit chapter" botton and the page says that I have edited my story with success, it is not when I look in the Archive Index.

Any idea what's going on? Perhaps I edited the story too soon after adding the chapter? I'd relly need a help,

thank you!!

My first question is what browser are you using?

If it's IE, then odds are that is your issue. It defaults to quirks mode now, which is largely inexplicable, but there you have it. If you set it to IE 7 standard, IE 9 Standard, or any other version except 8 standard, you'll get the text box. I'm guessing it is, because you should see something like this:

rte_add_chapter_screen.jpg

As you can see, there's a line of formatting options there which seem to be missing in your screenshots.

I can say that I am able to see Chapter II when I select the story from your profile: http://manga.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600000046&chapter=2

Guest Wicked_Black_Cat

I'm currently using Firefox 27 but I have checked it out with Firefox 26 for Ubuntu, IE 11 and even used Chrome 33 from another pc. Nothing,same blank window.

Also,I do see my story in the archive. What apparently I'm not able to do is editing my chapters (or titles) because when I do it and then look for the modified text online, I don't see the corrections I made.

You can edit a chapter immediately after posting it, so timing isn't the issue. If you've tried editing from another PC, then a corrupted cookie string probably isn't the issue either, since it's unlikely to be present on two computers.

This is an obvious question, I'm sure, but are you using the upper right corner fields to log in? The center fields only work once, at activation, and if used afterward do not log you in.

Okay,

I checked in FF 27, there seems to be about a 1 second lag from selecting the chapter title for chapter to edit, for the actual content and the rte controls to appear.

Looking in the database itself, it looks like you used the paste, or paste as plain text option. Either one will not work right for you. You have to select the "paste from Word" to retain your formatting.

I can attempt a login as you, to see if I can duplicate what is happening. With my own login, in FF 27, I'm unable to duplicate the error you're experiencing.

Having said that, though, you may need to clear your cache (not the cookies, just the cache), then press ctrl+F5 to force refresh, and THEN try to edit and tell me what happens. Just remember, that clearing cache means you also need to close the browser and then restart it, just as you would when clearing cookies, to be certain the changes took effect.

Guest Wicked_Black_Cat

Yes, I always use the upper right corner field to log in. Besides, I've never had any issue in visualizing the line of formatting or editing my fiction in the past. The problem only occurred now.

Guest Wicked_Black_Cat

Hi, so here's what I've done:

- opened my browser and cleared my cache (only the cache, as you said, no cookies, history or passwords);

- closed the browser and restart it;

- I went to AFF site and saw I was still logged in, so I opened my control panel and refreshed the page (not sure this was the point where I was supposed to do it);

- I tried to edit my story, but the window was the same (no rte controls, no text to work on).

I was curious, so I give it a try and edited the disclaimers. It worked but I can't say it didn't work before 'cause it's my first time doing it.

As I said, I've tried from different PC to edit the story. I also cleared all my web history on another PC but with no results.

Guest Wicked_Black_Cat

Same nothing. I logged out, cleared my cache and everything else except cookies, restart, refresh, logged in but still no positve result. I'm using Windows 7HP. I have no doubt it works fine on your firefox, but I did went through the same process with Windows 7 Basic (FF 27), Kubuntu with Linux 3.2 (FF 26) and even tried on an iOS7 (Safari 7) I've never used to visit AFF. The error occurred every time.

Is there, by any mean, the chance that it might be related to my account? Sadly, I have no friends who write on the site, otherwise I'd ask them to log in from my PC just to verify this theory.

It could be a browser setting. You do have to make sure that you allow third party scripts, or the java that runs the rte won't work right for you. If you prefer to not enable that for any site but this one, if memory serves, there is a way to set it site specific. I'll have to look, but that is going to have to wait until tomorrow. ohdarkthirty is just around the corner, and then I go to work. LOL

I'm having the same problem, but only with Manga chapters. I was able to edit my Anime chapters without any problems, but am unable to edit my one single Manga fic. I tried it in Chrome (which I always use) and then tried it in Firefox (which previously had no cookies from aff at all), same result for both: an empty box when editing.

I'm on Windows 7 but I honestly don't think that has got anything to do with it. This problem seems to be on the side of aff.

Are you trying to edit the existing chapter, or trying to add a new chapter?

If the issue is with editing the existing chapter, may I ask how you posted it originally, and from what word processing software?

If the issue is with adding a new chapter, and you're not getting the RTE properly, double-check the java-script settings. It is found in Advanced Settings > Content Settings > Java, and you should have it set to allow third party scripts. If this is already correct, then again, it may have something to do with the word processing software, and how the chapter is being added, i.e., using the text area and pasting from Word.

Okay, what I did, was to copy over the files in the subdir from one which I know works, to manga. Try now, it should be working. I couldn't see WHICH line was the culprit (it's shortly before I go to work so didn't have time to look line by line), so this should work just as well.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mrs.Snapekoi

i tried adding all the warnings such as incest oral sex and i know you have to press down on the ctrl key but then it wouldn't scroll down so i would press it then i would have to click outside of the box it would highlight in gray and then disappear but none of those things showed up and so then i tried editing it later and i couldn't get to that page to edit so i had to add to my one shot story to put those things can you help me please

i tried adding all the warnings such as incest oral sex and i know you have to press down on the ctrl key but then it wouldn't scroll down so i would press it then i would have to click outside of the box it would highlight in gray and then disappear but none of those things showed up and so then i tried editing it later and i couldn't get to that page to edit so i had to add to my one shot story to put those things can you help me please

Hi,

Once you've posted a story, you can't add tags via the dropdown box. You need to add them manually to the Summary field, or you can add a line at the top of the first chapter, labelled "Additional Warnings" or something along that line, and then add the missing tags.

We have a FAQ on how to edit the Summary field here. You will need to use the arrow keys to move to the end of the Summary field to see the tags that are there already. This field only allows for 240 characters, so if you've already got that much in there, you won't be able to add more tags to the field. That means add them at the top of the chapter, as described above.

• 2 months later...

I got a warning to edit my disclaimer or else my story would be removed. But I do not see the option to edit chapter or disclaimer. All I see is add a new chapter. I use windows vistas and chrome. I even tried from my phone but in vain. Please help. Asap.

I got a warning to edit my disclaimer or else my story would be removed. But I do not see the option to edit chapter or disclaimer. All I see is add a new chapter. I use windows vistas and chrome. I even tried from my phone but in vain. Please help. Asap.

Hi,

Technically, this request is Archive Support related, since we don't publish stories on the forum. However, we DO have a FAQ on how to edit your disclaimer: http://www2.adult-fanfiction.org/forum/index.php/topic/18857-how-to-edit-the-disclaimer/

Just follow the steps exactly as written out, and you should have no problem.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.