Click Here!

Chat

Shinju

• 2 years later...

First off, sorry for the thread necromancy. :fear:

If people are still interested in a chat option — one which does not use any of AFF's resources — there is one decent solution: I've installed pjIRC on a free hosting site and preconfigured it to connect users to a channel on DALnet. pjIRC uses Java, so the IRC client runs on the users' systems, not the web server. (Again, it's completely separate from AFF.net's servers.)

The script was all put together for another forum's chat, but the owner was nice enough to give me a copy; the rest is free, time-tested software. It was easy.

Of course, people can connect with their own IRC clients instead. The details are on the startup page, before anything Java stuff gets loaded. As of now, that page bills the channel as being unofficial just so I wouldn't accidentally step on anyone's toes.

:unsure:

DemonGoddess, if you want more information or to take a peek then PM or e-mail me and I'll give you the details. Of course, you will have as much control and ownership as you desire, even if it takes me out of the loop entirely. At the very least you may want to make changes before it goes live, if it does at all. For now it'll stay "closed." However, if it sits well with you and the other powers that be, and there's still interest, I'll post the details in a :flash:.

Oh! If this topic has been superseded and there is already a live chat for us then please let me know. :)

Actually, that's a damn good idea. Email or pm me with details, or even find me in chat if you want so I can have a look at what all is involved.

As you could tell by my earlier post, resources would be the problem in hosting a chat on the domain, because if it became busy? Way, way overloaded on the bandwidth end. This I know from when I had a chat installed on my own site. Thankfully, we're a small community, so I stayed within my bandwidth limits.

What I'll need to look at and find out from you, is all the ins and outs of this, so to speak. Because, if it works out to where it's a truly free system, I'm sure I can integrate it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.