Click Here!

A solution to the plagiarism problem

Guest BadGirlgoesworse

Guest BadGirlgoesworse

Hallo,

I have a suggestion as to how to get a grip on the plagiarism problem. The trouble with the adultfanfiction site is that anyone can just highlight, copy and paste any text material on this site. Many story archive sites, and recently ffnet, have made it technologically impossible to do that any longer.

That may not scare off all copyright violators, but definitely the lazy ones, when they won't be able to just copy and take whatever they want with a couple of mouse clicks.

What do you think? Would it be possible to utilize that system here?

It is an unfortunate fact of life that content placed on the internet is subject to theft. That being said, sure, we've been looking at ways to restrict that sort of thing, WITHOUT going to the "registered users only" thing for access, like some sites have done.

If someone is determined to steal, they are going to steal. Even the lazy ones. With scripts freely available to take php generated content and convert it to pdf, html and other formats, it's a simple copy/paste of the story path to get the content ANYWAY, on any site, REGARDLESS of what's in place to attempt to protect it.

Something else to keep in mind, is that while these scripts are available, they're merely a stopgap for any site, and don't truly stop it. The best way to stop plagiarism is to quit rewarding the authors who do this. Until it becomes something where users are willing to step up and help put a stop to it, in the majority, this will always be an issue for any site.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that whatever IS implemented, I have to be careful that it doesn't affect the search indices abilities to index the site itself properly.

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest

I know this is a bit old, but I would like to point out a recent plagiarism perpetrated on FFN (as you mention that site specifically in your request to implement a nocopy css like they did) so that you can see firsthand DG's point.

These stories were posted from January through March of this year, mostly copy-pasted from one FFN spot to another. FFN's nocopy isn't perfect - it has very easily identifiable holes that anyone - not just the determined thieves - can use to be able to copy the text.

https://www.fanfiction.net/topic/124913/110070267/1/Report-FFNID-5397444-venshade1-RWBY-active-NSFW

Now, this doesn't involve the AFF.org community; I'm only posting this in order to provide evidence backing up DG's analysis of the nocopy "effectiveness".

I hope we don't have to resort to the anti-copy/paste software. I have quiet the libary built up in my computer by coping and pasting onto a doc. but I always keep the authors names and where I got the stories so if I'm on another forum I can share the author and site with others. There are some sites where you can post the whole story but I never felt comfortable sharing someone elses story without their permission.

Muhabba, I seriously hope you do not mean that you are sharing any bit of any story on any site, without the writer's permission, because even sharing a small portion it still plagiarism.

And as an author on AFF, I feel extremely uncomfortable knowing that anyone has copied and saved my personal work on their personal computer without even asking me if I was alright with it.

And that's my two cents on this.

Oh no, I was meaning that I don't share any of the writer's writing without their permission, just the writer's name and the site where I found them. I've actually had one of my stories stolen and posted on another site but once I notified the Admin on the site with a link to the story they took it right down. Most Admin on the sites I visit are very tight when it comes to plagiarism. It's nice seeing the community looking out for it's original writings.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.