Click Here!

Trouble with a Name

Name of Harry Potter fic character  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What should the main character's name be?

• Diana Redstone
    • Zoey Whitecrest
    • Valerie Cross
    • Olivia Angelson

So, here's the deal: I'm trying to write an OC Harry Potter fic, but I can't decide on a name for the title character. The title of the fic will be "___ ____ and the Enchanted Wood". The character who I'm having trouble naming is part-Veela, but unrelated to Fleur Delacour, is very adept at magic, and has been known to be rather promiscuous around school. She's in her 3rd year at Hogwarts along with her friends and is in the house of Ravenclaw. She has two friends, one named Miles Plymouth who is in Hufflepuff and is a muggle-born, and another named Alexis Vandeleur who is in Ravenclaw and a pure-blood from a very famous wizarding family, though she tells people she's a muggle-born because she hates her family's high status.
I have four options that I like for the main character's name, which are in the attached poll. Please help me out here, because I'm very excited about this fic and want to start on it ASAP.

Whenever I'm trying to consider a character's name, I think of what the name means.

Diana:

of Latin origin, and the meaning of Diana is "divine". Mythology: Diana was an ancient Roman divinity who came to be associated with the Greek god Artemis. Noted for her beauty and fleetness, Diana is often depicted as a huntress.

Zoey:

The meaning of the name Zoey is Life

The origin of the name Zoey is Greek

Valerie:

of Latin origin, and the meaning of Valerie is "strong, healthy". Feminine form of Valerius, a Roman family clan name

Olivia:

of Latin origin, and the meaning of Olivia is "olive tree".

Biblical: the olive tree is a symbol of fruitfulness, beauty, and dignity.

Olivia and Diana are both associated with beauty, which is a trait of the Veela. In choosing one of those, you are, of course, creating irony given your character's promiscuous nature. Both are also good for the "Enchanted Wood" theme in your title.

I admit I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to names. Given that you're wanting to pass her off as Muggleborn, you might consider Olivia Angelson, since that last name is very mundane.