Click Here!

Category reordering

We're in the process of doing it a zone (subdomain) at a time. So, if things look a little....weird (right now we're working on the anime zone), it's temporary. Yes, the MAJOR structure changes will be as you see, but by doing what we are, we can actually start splitting down one more level with the more active categories in that zone, meaning the ones with 200 or more stories. As in pair specific type categories, among other things. B)

Also, someone had mentioned that we have two categories for Saiyuki, so those will be merged into the Gensomaden Saiyuki category in that zone.

Please bear with manta2g and I as we do this work, and understand we cannot get it all done at one time, as we both work full time aside from what we do here. ;)

Okay, anime subdomain is done, with the exception of a small layout change. I'm sure manta2g will get to that as soon as it is possible for her to do so.

In the meantime, for your stories that are now in top level categories, (i.e. categories where stories number 200 or more) which you now see in the side menu, you can actually edit the placement and put it where it belongs. Edit your story, and change the subcategory it's in to the subcategory it would actually belong to, and if there is a pair specific sub sub category where it would belong, you can select that as well.

Something to keep in mind, there are three categories which are NOT pair type specific, but STORY type specific. These would AU, Crossovers, and General. General should be for stories that aren't concentrated so much on a relationship, but on writing in that particular world. Just a general sort of story. AU, of course, would be any Alternate Universe stories. Crossovers are self explanatory :spank:

You can expect to see this subdomain by subdomain.

Done with Bleach, Final Fantasy, and Games subdomains. FF7, FF8, FFX are now top level categories. Kingdom Hearts and Zelda are now top level categories. Meaning you'll find them in the menu block to the left when in that section.

With the addition of actual pairs to Bleach, FF7 and FF8, one can now move their stories to the appropriate sub subs.

Working on InuYasha now, you will notice that the specific pairs are now having their locations changed, to be sub categories in the pairing type category that they belong to.

This is a bit more convoluted, as the utility I'm using has no problems with mass moving things UP a level, but down a level is another story. So I gotta go about it a bit differently, and it takes more time.

Am done with the InuYasha archive. The specific pair categories can now be found as a subcategory of their type of pair (i.e. het, yaoi, yuri). DarkFics is now a subcategory of General.

New categories:

AU

Threesomes/Moresomes

-----

Starting on the Naruto zone next. It's actually going to be relatively simple comparatively. Some category title edits at the upper level, the additon of specific pair categories to the pair type categories, and the Shouta category will have its fics moved to the appropriate categories after that. Reason being that that is technically a story tag (and available as a one, if memory serves), not a true category.

Naruto zone is finished.....

I've noticed for the amount of stories, I have a decided lack of data for actual pairs. :(

Moving right along....

I wanted to thank the authors who've already started moving their stories around working within the new schema. It's quite a help to me. :)

Couple things...

Have started on the left side menu from the main entry index (i.e. books, etc). Am currently working in the books archive.

Also, will be adding "Round Robins" as a second level to all top level categories. This is where you'd put stories where you've left the option of others to add chapters besides yourself.

Finished the books, historical, and buffy subdomains.

Finished up cartoon zone. Avatar and Teen Titan are now top categories.

Thanks to xax, I have a much easier way to move stuff around now. ;) (meaning stories to new sub sub categories)

Next on the list will be Celebrities ,Comics, and Harry Potter

In Celebrities, WWE, My Chemical Romance, and Dir en grey will become top level categories.

In Comics, I'm looking at the initial sort being by PUBLISHER. Those of you who read and write for this, obviously know where the comics come from. People new to it very likely do not. So maybe this'll encourage new collectors ;).

In Harry Potter, there will be MANY changes. Pairs will be moved to their pair type category parent, character/OFC-OMC will be done away with. RP requests will be done away with (that is archive wide, not just for this specific subdomain).

HP is done for now..

Mpreg stories are now in slash

OMC/OFC stories are in their respective pair type categories

Lists and Virtual Hogwarts stories are moved to general

The above listed categories no longer exist, but the stories were moved, so are still there.

Pair specific - all have been moved to their respective pair type categories as a sub level.

Also, until we complete the cleanup part (which this is not, this is set up for that), the pair specific categories with less than 10 stories will stay up. Once, after we've gone through each archive's set of stories, if the pair category criteria is still not met, those stories will be moved into the pair type category, and the pair specific category will be gone.

For the Comics zone, I'm still kicking around a few ideas, so am leaving that for a bit later. The Historical link, looks like it more properly should be merged back into books misc, as that is what zone this link lives in to begin with. Will continue to look at that, and make a final determination later.

LotR is next...

This one will actually be fairly straightforward to set up. There will be new top level categories corresponding to the AGES in this series for the books. The movieverse will pretty much stay the same other than some tweaking, as it is quite different from bookverse. LotR Stars will be getting moved to Celebrities zone, where it more properly belongs. So, those stories will be moved into a renamed category of "to be moved to celeb", and the subcategories there all merged into that.

All done with setting up the ages things for the books in LotR. Set the one category with description that it will be moved to celebrities. We'll be sorting it from there, I'm sure :huh: , as the category has 521 stories, so there will be some additional switching around once it's moved. (It'll end up a top level in celebs due to how many stories there are in that section).

Hello -

I've read the post below and don't quite undestand what you are saying. You said, "OMC/OFC stories are in their respective pair type categories." What is a 'pair type category'?

I do hope it isn't just the male/female category under Harry Potter because as it stands now, it has 106 pages, not stories, but PAGES of stories to wade through.

If one is supposed to hunt for Snape/OFC stories, for example, one is now at the mercy of the author's summary to know if the story contains the characters one is looking for. I can see several stories where the summary tells the reader nothing about who is in the story, because the author thought the reader would know from its specialized category, to wit, Snape/OFC or Lucius/OFC - which has now been erased.

If this is just a byway toward putting back the OMC/OFC categories you may disregard this comment. If you plan to leave all the OMC/OFC stories in the amorphous, gigantic Male/Female category then I would like to point out what a disservice it is to the readers. And to authors who depend on readers to find their stories with the characters the readers prefer.

Please reset the OMC/OFC categories in the Harry Potter section so the readers don't have 106 pages of stories to scan for characters they want to read.

I can't really understand why these categories were removed unless it was to make life simpler for the programmers. Should the programmers be the ones to decide how literary categories should be organized? Libraries fought this battle for years as technical types organized the world of information without understanding how people look for information. Please don't let that happen here.

Thank you for letting me express my opinion and provide some views on how the site is used. I appreciate your taking the time to 'listen'.

LaBibliographe

http://hp.adult-fanfiction.org/authors.php?no=1296799417

labibliographe@yahoo.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HP is done for now..

The above listed categories no longer exist, but the stories were moved, so are still there.

Pair specific - all have been moved to their respective pair type categories as a sub level.

Also, until we complete the cleanup part (which this is not, this is set up for that), the pair specific categories with less than 10 stories will stay up. Once, after we've gone through each archive's set of stories, if the pair category criteria is still not met, those stories will be moved into the pair type category, and the pair specific category will be gone.

For the Comics zone, I'm still kicking around a few ideas, so am leaving that for a bit later. The Historical link, looks like it more properly should be merged back into books misc, as that is what zone this link lives in to begin with. Will continue to look at that, and make a final determination later.

LotR is next...

This one will actually be fairly straightforward to set up. There will be new top level categories corresponding to the AGES in this series for the books. The movieverse will pretty much stay the same other than some tweaking, as it is quite different from bookverse. LotR Stars will be getting moved to Celebrities zone, where it more properly belongs. So, those stories will be moved into a renamed category of "to be moved to celeb", and the subcategories there all merged into that.

Yes, it meant what it sounded like. It's in het or slash, depending on what the pairing was (OFC/OMC).

This doesn't just make life simpler for the programmers, it helps the PROGRAM run better by recategorizing. That's more important. I'm doing what I'm doing to REDUCE the load on the hardware framework, in a few very important ways. Also, this is a critical step in what is coming next which is the overall cleanup and moving the stories around altogether. This has been done in OTHER subdomains as well, so I don't foresee where those category types will be restored.

This is going to make it a lot harder to find stories of a certain type, especially since the search engine isn't the best.

Nvm about the challenges. After a bit of searching I saw the post in the forum about them being deleted then went back to the ridiculously long announcement and saw it there near the bottom. Let me just say, someone needs to tell learn to be short and sweet. Because I started reading that post and quit a couple of paragraphs in, it was just too annoying to get through. When you have an announcement that you know is going to be long, be short and to the point. Don't try to be clever because most people won't have the patience to actually weed through all of that to get to the parts that actually matter. And unfortunately because I just don't have the inclination, especially not at this time (Finals, thank you), I've lost a bunch of challenges because I don't have them on my current computer. I would like to say though, the challenges section was a good idea and it should be reinstated even if they all get put together in a single section, with each fandom separated out. I'm just sad that I've lost the challenges and anyone who responded positively.

Also is the Naruto section, can I ask why there are 4 pairings for Sasuke and only 2 for Naruto (in the yaoi section)? He is the main character.

HP is done for now..

As to pairings, I work with information I'm given. Particularly in a fandom I'm not familiar with. Again, once we start going THROUGH these things, a section at a time, I'm sure I'll find more pairs. As I said earlier, this is just the beginning. Recategorizing and reordering merely sets things up for the overall cleanup of the archive as a whole.

The DELETION of the categories you mentioned was announced. They will not be returning. If you publish a fic in response to a challenge, it goes in it's appropriate category, with a note in the description that it is in response to a challenge. All searching/looking for type stories will be deleted as they are found. Same with RP stories. There is MUCH that is going to happen. Granted, not everyone will be happy with what is going on. That's a GIVEN. However, what is being done is for the health of what we have currently in place. I'd much rather not have the whole thing die unrecoverably because it's overloading the sql server due to query overloads. The query load is already lessened CONSIDERABLY now, because of what has been done so far. IF I didn't have this 3 category limitation to work wthin, the query load would've been cut even more already. But I do, so there is only so much that this will fix insofar as the actual query loads.

Then there is the bandwidth consideration. The archive handles post insert data very differently from the forum. THAT is why those particularl categories are coming here. I don't care if I EXACTLY duplicated all the data, chapter by chapter, the forum db would still not exceed, say 500MB with all that chapter data. The archive db, on the other hand, WAS at 6.2GB. Every chapter uploaded is actually a file that ends up being anywhere from 500k to 2+MB per chapter. A forum post doesn't exceed 50k in size. EVER.

Believe me, we are well aware the search engine sucks. That's being NICE by the way. Nothing can be done about it yet, but it is being worked on and looked at to either make the current one better, or replace it entirely. It's LIKELY that the search function will be replaced entirely in the rewrite that is in progress.

Naruto zone is finished.....

I've noticed for the amount of stories, I have a decided lack of data for actual pairs. :P

Moving right along....

I wanted to thank the authors who've already started moving their stories around working within the new schema. It's quite a help to me. :)

Is there anything I can do to help you out there? I know very little about the Naruto Het, but am well aware of most of the Naruto Yaoi pairings (here and in general)

As soon as I saw appropriate Sub/Sub cats I moved mine and had my closest friends move theirs as well.

Anyway, if you need help give me a holler and I will do what I can for you. Ja ne.

Next on the list will be Celebrities ,Comics, and Harry Potter

In Harry Potter, there will be MANY changes. Pairs will be moved to their pair type category parent, character/OFC-OMC will be done away with. RP requests will be done away with (that is archive wide, not just for this specific subdomain).

I want the separate OFC and OMC categories back. I only read Snape stories and Snape/OFC is my favorite pairing. The last time I was able to get that list up on my computer, which was Thursday, there were 217 stories listed under Snape/OFC. Why should I have to slog through 106 pages of the M/F stories when there are quite a few pairings listed, some of them very obscure, that have only one or two stories listed?

This quote from LaBiliographe staes what I want to say much better than I can myself.

"I can't really understand why these categories were removed unless it was to make life simpler for the programmers. Should the programmers be the ones to decide how literary categories should be organized? Libraries fought this battle for years as technical types organized the world of information without understanding how people look for information. Please don't let that happen here."

I hope this doesn't turn into the same kind of fiasco that Sycophant Hex had when they institued their supposedly new and better 'Mage' system. They had to return to the old and much better system because of all the glitches and bugs (new ones were popping up every day) and all their members were very unhappy with it and abandoning ship.

I suggest that you add a character search function like FF.net has at the top of the page. It's one of the few things that works at FF.net, and it works very, very well. I can get all the stories archived on any pairing I want in any rating I want just by entering what data I want. If they could only add a filter to filter out the immature stories by immature authors I'd be very happy with them.

Trickie Woo :(

Your offer of help is certainly appreciated. :(. Once I'm done with this initial recategorization, then we start cleanup. You can be sure that at that point I will be asking for your help. :D

*gives you a jaunty two finger salute*

I look forward to it. Actually I am looking forward to the Naruto section being properly cleaned up. I think everything will be easier to navigate and find then.

Finished up movies zone. PotC and Star Wars are both now top level categories.

Again, keep in mind that this is the BEGINNING of what is coming up, which is the overall cleanup. In order to clean it UP, it has to be properly categorized first.

Non English will stay the same, no need for changes there.

Originals will have SEVERAL categories become top level categories, with the ability to sort where they're placed with the overall schema set up everywhere else so far. Also, there will just be the general misc type stuff which remain where it is.

The DELETION of the categories you mentioned was announced.

I did see the announcement, though after the fact, and I had to go looking for it. But for future reference, I do think that announcements need to be made in a better way, a way in which most people will actually get the announcement. If you were faced with this:

'Howsoever, upon reposing in the season's greening fields (at least those of the northern hemisphere -- and, presumably, those carrying wireless Internet service), keep those eyes peeled! We are most intently entrenched in the process of cleaning house, and, like anything one cleans, it might seem even less tidy in the meantime.'

and it just went on and on, how much of it would you actually read? On a good day, I can't deal with overly flowery language, but my mind was in the middle of trying to retain the bit of physics I managed to stuff into it, so I got to the end of that paragraph I showed you above and just quit. Sometimes short and to the point is best. Just a bulleted list of what's going to be happening and that's all. There's no need to try to entertain with things of an official nature.

They will not be returning.

As for the challenges section, personally I think it was a good idea to have a specific place for them to go into because it kept them organized and all together. All that's going to happen now is that people are going to post them in the general section, which has already started to happen. But that's just my opinion.

I will say, it is nice to have things more organized, in some sections at least.

I just wanted to add in one thing, somewhat related, I noticed in Gravitation there was a Het section added. The series is about a male singer falling in love with a male writer, so it's unlikely that that section will ever be used.

Challenges and requests are set up to be done in the forum. Those forums per zone and top level category, are set to NOT require login. So, the user can pop over, post their challenge, and be done without ever having to make a forum login.

Gravitation has 3 het pairs in it (Tohma/Mika, Hiroshi/Ayaka, Claude (K) and his wife). Plus, there are other minor female characters in the manga and anime as well. Yes, it is a YAOI manga/anime, but that doesn't mean that there aren't het pairs within the storyline itself, as there are.

Okay....

For Originals, I did it in such a way as to compensate for that bedamned blighted near useless thing we call a search engine in the archive. So, say for example, you specialize in writing angst, and you prefer writing het. You'd then put your fiction in the angst top level, with the subcategory of het. It'll help make things easier to find. For Poetry (which is also now a top level, among others), I've set up different second level categories based on poetry TYPE. i.e. haiku, sonnet, etc.