Click Here!

Can I report myself?

I recently realized (because I must not have read the ToS well enough and I admit I am stupid) that there is a limit to editing a fic in a certain amount of time. Recently, I don't even know when, maybe a day or so ago, I was reading through my fic and when I'd see a typo that bothered me, I'd just go an edit it real quick. I don't even know how to prove that I did this. I'm a major noob in general. I just know that I did it. I didn't even realize that editing bumped stories up. (And, failure that I am, I didn't even get all my typos) I feel bad now.

Link to my fic, in case it helps:

http://movies.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600094669

So ... yeah ... am I in trouble?

If you are doing it for a legitimate reason, like editing for typos, you're fine. I've had to edit for typos and other things. This is a legit need to do that thing. It's when you do it with the full intent to bump the story to keep it on the front page or move it up, you get in trouble.

I just wanted to chime in and thank you for reading the ToS. As important as it is to know the rules of a site, so many people never bother. Not only did you read them, you actually care about being in compliance, which is awesome!

So... Thank you! :hug:

If you are doing it for a legitimate reason, like editing for typos, you're fine. I've had to edit for typos and other things. This is a legit need to do that thing. It's when you do it with the full intent to bump the story to keep it on the front page or move it up, you get in trouble.

Thanks for the advice, but how do the mods and admin know if I do it for a legitimate reason? I read fast, and sometimes I'm like, "Oh, I just edited this chapter, but I found something else ... omg re-edit!" Are they able to see how I edited?

I just wanted to chime in and thank you for reading the ToS. As important as it is to know the rules of a site, so many people never bother. Not only did you read them, you actually care about being in compliance, which is awesome!

So... Thank you! :hug:

Well, I tried to read, but I didn't read very well, and I saw this rule pointed out in another forum and I was like, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm a spammer!" lol "I'm so guilty!"

Most of the time, we can tell if we find ourselves reading the same chapter over and over during weekly sweeps. That usually signals more than typo-tweaking. That's when we ask DG to check. :)

Actually, if any of the others suspect that hanky panky is happening, I check the database and a few other places they don't have access to. :)

Cool! Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it! :yahoo:

Most of the time, we can tell if we find ourselves reading the same chapter over and over during weekly sweeps. That usually signals more than typo-tweaking. That's when we ask DG to check. :)

Is there a way to make it so that simple editing doesn't bump the story? Or, is that sort of impossible? Just curious.

Guest Dean_Wax

Should I tell someone if I know I'll probably be making a lot of edits? Once the agony of a not-quite-ideal brand launch blows over at work, I really do need to sit down and proof read the stuff I've already got up now that I haven't looked at it for ages.

I know there are a bunch of typos lurking in those chapters.

::grins:: Not to worry. As we said above, we're aware of who has a tendency to edit for the sole purpose of bumping a story, and who is actually concerned with fixing typos and making corrections.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.